Wednesday, May 29, 2013

1) Indonesian embassy in NZ says Papua still too dangerous for journalists.




3) Residents Tingginambut 5 Reportedly Missing
4) More details emerge on West Papua massacre allegation

5) Copper Pares Monthly Gain as Freeport Can Start Some Mining

6) Freeport to restart mining activities at Grasberg open pit on Thursday

7) Border reopened to traditional border crossers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Posted at 03:23 on 29 May, 2013 UTC
The Indonesian embassy in New Zealand says it may become easier for international journalists to visit Papua, but warns it is still a volatile area.
Achmad Gozali, the Minister-Counsellor at the Indonesian Embassy in New Zealand, says there are many separatist groups in West Papua and journalists still need to be accompanied by officials.
Human rights groups and journalists have for years been reporting on abuse and attacks by Indonesian military and police in the province, and that such violations are largely unpunished.
Mr Gozali says there is some consideration given to journalists but it is still on a case by case basis and he doesn’t see unrestricted access happening any time soon.
“There is also some armed forces there from the Papua separatist movement, so it is also very dangerous.”
Achmad Gozali, the Minister-Counsellor at the Indonesian Embassy in New Zealand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted at 03:23 on 29 May, 2013 UTC
A media freedom group is calling on the Indonesian authorities to release a radio host held in West Papua.
Abert Dimas Anggoro, a talkback host from Penyiar Radio FM, was arrested for criticising officials and claiming the district office in Papua was dilapidated, on his Matoa public affairs programme.
When he was detained over three weeks ago, colleagues from an alliance of Independent journalists, accompanied him to the police station.
The chair of the Pacific Freedom Forum, Titi Gabi, says each day Mr Anggoro is held further weakens the credibility of Jakarta, and warns that the whole world is watching.
“Sending out your men to arrest reporters and media workers is a bit heavy handed and that should be discouraged. We think the Indonesian government and the officials should use the system in place because there is one.”
Titi Gabi says there is a media complaints process and authorities have no reason to arrest and detain journalists.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A google translate of article in Bintangpapua. Be-aware google translate can be a bit erratic. 
Original bahasa at


3) Residents Tingginambut 5 Reportedly Missing


Jayapura - Five residents Tingginambut District Puncak Jaya in Papua is lost and jungle until now unknown. It was the Deputy Speaker of the House diungkakan Papua Yunus Wonda. "From the report, there are 5 people missing and his whereabouts unknown. Before they allegedly got lost torture of security forces, "said Yunus Wonda workroom, Tuesday May 28.
Of 5 residents who lost 2 of them still a student. "Residents who lost only one still and one junior high school students high school students," he said.
In addition there are 5 missing residents, residents who had been Tingginambut area known as the headquarters of the movement of OPM leader Goliat Tabuni, also felt pressured by the actions of the security forces often make sweeping action or raids against civilians. "People always forces raided and often suspected, so it is always depressed and anxious," he said.

Even in action raids, officers often intimidate citizens as suspected OPM members only when ordinary citizens. "If the resident passes between Ilu with Honor, officers always mensweeping residents with intimidation and torture so that residents fear" he explained.
Action raids accompanied by reports of torture, said Yunus Wonda, taking place after shooting 8 soldiers. "Officials began aggressively sweeping and torture after the shooting of 8 members of the TNI in Tingginambut and Sinak," beber Yunus.

To that end, said Yunus Wonda, authorities immediately stop sweeping and torture of citizens. "The security forces should protect the people's right instead of creating fear with acts of torture," he said.
He also asked OPM to stop stigmanisasi Tingginambut citizens. "Stop with secessionist stigmanisasi attitude to people, if you want to hunt down the armed groups do not disturb people. Task forces to protect the right of the people rather than the opposite, "he said.

Do not all citizens are considered separatist group, this way of thinking is always hurting people. "Do not all citizens are considered OPM, the action is not commendable and should be stopped," he pleaded.  Yunus Wonda, arrogant and often torture innocent people obviously gross human rights violations that always triggers Papua always highlighted internationally. "It is this attitude that makes Papua into the world spotlight, so you should refrain from hurting the arrogant attitude of the people," he explained.
Yunus Wonda should also ask officers who served in Tingginmabut enough of the police and their Koramil.karena memahai and psychological situation of the citizens.
Democratic Party politician also said, to report the incident to the President. "DPRP will formally write to the President, to withdraw troops from Tingginambut and intimidate actors to stop the action and torturing people and let them know where 5 people are missing," he said. (Jir/don/l03)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2013/s3769311.htm

4) More details emerge on West Papua massacre allegation

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

ASHLEY HALL: More details are emerging about a security operation in the central highlands of West Papua that activists describe as a covert operation of killing and forced disappearances.

They say 18 people have been killed in recent weeks by the Indonesian military.

The activists say the violence is pay-back for the killing of six Indonesia Special Forces soldiers in February.

The Indonesian Embassy in Canberra has issued a blanket denial, describing the reported violence as rumours and lies.

But the ABC has been provided further information that tells a different story, as Peter Lloyd reports.

PETER LLOYD: When Timor Leste went from being a mineral rich restive province to independence more than a decade ago, Indonesia's rulers drew a line in the sand.

They made it clear to the world that they would not tolerate losing West Papua too.

It's the nation's other big resource-rich province with a population violently agitating to go their own way.

Indonesia security forces were humiliated at the start of the year when six elite special forces troops were killed by members of the West Papua National Liberation Army.

The murders took place around Puncak Jaya in the central highlands.

It is this same district where activists say a pay-back operation has been underway since April.

Jonah Wenda is spokesman for the military wing of the Free Papua Organisation.

This is how he described the killings of 11 people, in a text message on Friday:

JONAH WENDA (voiceover): They were picked from different places like school, gardens, on the road and even taken from their home and kill them and throw them in the bush.

PETER LLOYD: An official at the Indonesian Embassy in Canberra assured PM that the allegations of extra-judicial killings would be investigated.

He was provided with a list of people named as victims of the security forces to assist on checking to prove that they still exist and are alive.

Instead the Embassy released a statement full of angry denial.

STATEMENT (voiceover): With regard to the report, the Embassy was informed by relevant authorities in Papua that these rumours are completely unfounded and are false. Based on our inquiry, there is no such violence. It seems that these rumours and lies were spread by certain individuals and groups with the aim to discredit the government of Indonesia in its efforts to ensure the continued development in the Papua provinces.

PETER LLOYD: Mysteriously, seven more dismembered bodies have been recovered, according to Jonah Wenda from the Free Papua Organisation.

JONAH WENDA: There's a military operation is on. This area (inaudible) police are in this area, if they say there's nothing killing going on - they're a liar.

PETER LLOYD: Jonah Wenda has issued a challenge to the Indonesian government to allow independent human rights teams to come to the province to investigate.

Supporters of the movement have begun quietly documenting the killings. But asking too many questions seems a dangerous pastime.

There are reports that people who have gone in search of family and friends have themselves gone missing.

JONAH WENDA: There's no - very limited access, even local people, even pastors or some people able to stick out because there's military in everywhere in that particular place at Puncak Jaya.

PETER LLOYD: Among the 18 people who are alleged to have been killed recently are six village chiefs. A fortnight ago they'd been invited as guests for the inauguration of the new governor, Lukas Enembe, in the provincial capital, Jayapura.

It's alleged that on the drive home the six were stopped at a military check point where they were beaten, tortured and later killed.

Activists have published the names of the dead, and challenged the Indonesian authorities to prove them wrong.

ASHLEY HALL: Peter Lloyd with that report.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


5) Copper Pares Monthly Gain as Freeport Can Start Some Mining

photo
A handout picture released by Freeport Indonesia on May 24, 2013 shows rescue workers at the site of a collapsed tunnel in Tembagapura, Papua on May 21, 2013. Rescuers pulled out the last remains of workers who were trapped after a tunnel collapsed at a mine in Indonesia’s Papua province, bringing the death toll from the accident to 28, the company said on May 22, 2013. Workers were undergoing safety training in a tunnel operated by the Indonesian subsidiary of US-based Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold when it caved in on May 14. (EPA Photo/Freeport Indonesia)

Copper fell, paring its first monthly gain in four months as Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold said it can start open-pit production at Indonesia’s Grasberg mine after an accident halted operations.
The metal for delivery in three months on the London Metal Exchange retreated as much as 0.6 percent to $7,276.75 a metric ton and was at $7,311.75 at 10:46 a.m. in Tokyo. The price has risen 3.6 percent this month. Futures for delivery in July on the Comex were little changed at $3.3135 per pound.
Freeport can start open-pit work, though it has yet to receive permission to start underground mining at its Grasberg mine complex, Daisy Primayanti, a spokeswoman for the Phoenix-based miner’s Indonesian unit, said on Tuesday. Production hasn’t restarted yet at second-largest copper mine, where 28 workers were killed when an underground tunnel collapsed May 14.
“The Freeport news has eased concern over mine supply disruption,” said Tetsu Emori, the chief fund manager at Astmax Asset Management in Tokyo. While metals were also under downward pressure from the dollar’s strength, a decline in LME stockpiles and improving US economic data would limit further losses, he said.
The Dollar Index, which tracks the currency against those of six major US trade partners, rose for a second day, adding as much as 0.3 percent. It reached 84.498 on May 23, the most since 2010. A rise in the dollar curbs demand from buyers holding other currencies.
US consumer confidence climbed in May to the highest level in more than five years, a Conference Board report showed on Tuesday. Separate data showed US house prices rose in the 12 months through March by the most in seven years as the recovery in residential real estate gained momentum.
Copper stockpiles monitored by the LME fell for a third day to 619,650 tons. Orders to remove the metal from warehouses climbed 0.5 percent to 223,150 tons, the first gain after three declines from the record on May 21.
The contract for September delivery was little changed at 52,690 yuan ($8,588) a ton on the Shanghai Futures Exchange.
On the LME, zinc and lead declined, while tin climbed. Aluminum and nickel were little changed.
Bloomberg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

6) Freeport to restart mining activities at Grasberg open pit on Thursday

A- A A+
Mining giant PT Freeport Indonesia, a subsidiary of Arizona-based Freeport-McMoran, is set to resume its Grasberg open pit mining activities, on Thursday, amid ongoing investigations into a tunnel collapse at an underground facility in which 28 workers were killed.
Freeport Indonesia president director Rozik B. Soetjipto said in Jakarta on Wednesday that the company would begin production activities at its open mine site as of Thursday although it would not be producing at its maximum capacity.
"We will restart the production activities slowly. It might take around two or three days, and perhaps a further three days before it can reach its maximum production capacity," he told reporters.
The Grasberg open mine produces 140,000 tons of ore per day on average; but, its mining activities have been temporarily halted following the cave-in at its training facility on May 14.
The facility is located 2.7 kilometers from the Grasberg open mine.
Rozik said Freeport would not restart production activities at the company's Deep Ore Zone (DOZ) mine, an underground block cave -- located a few kilometers from Grasberg -- which has a production capacity of 80,000 tons of ore per day, unless it was permitted by the government.
Last week, the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry's director general for minerals and coal Thamrin Sihite told reporters that the government prohibited Freeport from conducting "any production activity" until the investigations into the incident were concluded.
Rozik said on Tuesday, however, that it was only prohibited for Freeport to restart activities at its underground mining operations, not at its open mine. (ebf)
------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Border reopened to traditional border crossers

A- A A+
Paper Edition | Page: 5
The Indonesia-Papua New Guinea (PNG) border in Skouw-Wutung, just outside Jayapura, Papua, was reopened to traditional border crossers on May 20 after being closed for around three weeks.

“It was reopened after our consulate general in Vanimo actively lobbied the PNG government in Port Moresby,” said Indonesian consul general in Vanimo, Jahar Gultom, when reached by The Jakarta Post from Jayapura on Tuesday.

PNG previously banned Indonesian traditional border crossers from entering PNG on the grounds that their border crossing cards had expired on March 18.

Indonesian immigration officers in Skouw followed suit by banning traditional border crossers from Papua New Guineans from entering Indonesia.

“We also faced difficulties due to a surge in applications from residents in Vanimo who wished to visit Jayapura to visit sick relatives or attend funerals,” said Jahar.

Regarding the expired border crossing cards, Jahar said that matter would be on the agenda for the meeting between PNG prime minister and President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in Jakarta on June 17.
-----------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment