Friday, May 31, 2013

1) Worker Not Injured Due to Mine Collapse: Freeport



1) Worker Not Injured Due to Mine Collapse: Freeport
2) freeport worker in critical condition after mud slide - (d)
3) Freeport denies collapsed tunnel report
4) Chronology of the arrest of seven activists involved in the Aimas, Sorong incident.
5) MIFEE: Customary Landowners Block Access to PT Rajawali’s Land

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/worker-not-injured-due-to-mine-collapse-freeport/

1) Worker Not Injured Due to Mine Collapse: Freeport

[Updated at 6:31 p.m.]
A worker was fighting for his life after a mining accident on Friday at Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold’s Indonesian mine, a union official said, calling on members to stop work at the huge copper mine after the second major accident in just over two weeks.
Freeport denied that a collapse was responsible for the injury and released a statement saying “the company regrets that an accident occurred while it was performing approved maintenance activities in the DOZ underground mine. Wet ore material [wet muck] flowed from an ore bin covering a truck and its operator.
“This event was not the result of any collapse of the mine tunnel, as has been incorrectly reported, and does not in any way reflect upon the integrity of the mine.
“The driver of the truck has been taken to Tembagapura Hospital and is in critical condition. We are saddened by this accident and are praying for our fellow worker and his family at this difficult time.”
“The victim is still in a critical condition. Hopefully, we can save his life,” Papua-based union official Virgo Solossa told Reuters by telephone. He had earlier said the worker had been killed.
“We hope this is the last incident … that’s why we ask the company to stop all activities at the mining area to review safety systems for the sake of the workers.”
However, another worker at the mine, who asked not to be identified, said that two other workers were rescued and taken to hospital after the tunnel collapse at the Deep Ore Zone (DOZ) underground mine in the Grasberg complex.
Freeport suspended operations at the complex in eastern Indonesia on May 15, a day after a training area in another tunnel, away from the site of its main operations, caved in on 38 workers.
Twenty-eight people died in what was one of the worst mining disasters in Indonesia’s history.
The accidents raise concerns over whether Freeport will have to default on shipments to customers.
They also cast doubts over Freeport’s ambitious plans to turn Grasberg into the world’s biggest underground mining complex after 2016 when its open pit operations are due to end.
Open pit mining currently accounts for two-thirds of production.
Force majeure in 2011
Industry sources say large mining operations typically have three to four weeks of ore stockpiled at port, and around three days on site.
Freeport declared a force majeure on some concentrate sales about one month into a 2011 strike, freeing itself from some of its contractual supply obligations.
Freeport said on Wednesday it had resumed some operations at the mine, which also holds the world’s largest gold reserves.
The union had reiterated that work would not resume until all investigations into the May 14 accident were complete.
“This latest accident shows how Freeport management is arrogant after they have forced themselves and the workers to go back to work and re-start production activity,” the union’s Solossa said.
“That’s why the union calls on all workers to stop working at all Freeport mining areas,” said Solossa. The union represents about 18,000 of the mine’s 24,000 workers.
After the May 14 tunnel collapse, the company and the union put on hold pay talks that began on May 13. Relations have remained strained between the two sides since a three-month strike in late 2011.
Freeport Indonesia’s sales are expected to reach 1.1 billion pounds of copper and 1.2 million ounces of gold in 2013, up 54 percent and 31 percent over 2012, respectively.
Open-pit mining at Grasberg normally produces around 140,000 tons of copper ore a day, while underground operations yield 80,000 tons.
The problems at the mine have helped underpin copper prices, although a prolonged shutdown would be necessary to hit world supplies, which are still seen in a small surplus this year.
Freeport has been drawing on stocks to keep up overseas shipments during the production shutdown.
There was no immediate impact on copper prices on Friday with benchmark three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange trading at $7,268.75 a ton, slightly higher than where it was trading after the mine closure.
Reuters 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.antaranews.com/en/news/89117/freeport-worker-in-critical-condition-after-mud-slide--d

2) freeport worker in critical condition after mud slide - (d)

Fri, May 31 2013 23:06 | 91 Views
Jayapura, Papua (ANTARA News) - A worker of PT Freeport Indonesia in Papua is in critical condition after being buried in a wet mud following a mud slide at around 1.40pm on Friday. 


Papua Regional Police Command spokesman Senior Commissioner Gede Sumerta confirmed to Antara that based on a report he received the victim, Herman Wahid, with employee number 832366 was carrying a truck at Loading Point 1 Charlie West DOZ, which is an underground area, when the incident happened.

Herman Wahid who was buried in a wet mud is now being intensively treated at the local Tembagapura hospital.

Twenty-eight people were four dead after 38 workers were trapped in an underground facility of the US-owned mining company following a land slide on May 14.

Ten of the workers who were saved in the incident are now still being treated in several hospitals.
(Uu.E006/H-YH/A014)
Editor: Priyambodo RH
-------------------------------------------
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/05/31/freeport-denies-collapsed-tunnel-report.html

3) Freeport denies collapsed tunnel report

A- A A+
PT Freeport Indonesia spokesperson Daisy Primayanti has denied media reports that said another
tunnel collapsed at one of the company’s mines.
“Wet ore material or wet muck flowed from an ore bin covering a truck and its operator,” she said in a statement.
She said the company found strong indication that the circumstances involved in this incident were inconsistent with the company’s established safety protocols for handling wet muck.
She went on to say that the event was not the result of a collapsing tunnel, citing that it “has been incorrectly reported” by several online media outlets and thus “does not in any way reflect upon the
integrity of the mine.”
Separately, the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry's mineral director, Dede Indra Suhendra, told The Jakarta Post in a telephone interview that the government had sent a mining inspector to Papua immediately to investigate Friday’s incident.(dic)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Chronology of the arrest of seven activists involved in the Aimas, Sorong incident.

Introduction

In accordance with an agrrement reached between the following mass organisations, the KNPB - National Committee for West Papua, the West Papua National Authority, the Students Executive Board of the Faculty of Social and  Political Sciences of Cenderawasih University (BEM-FISIP Uncen), various NGOs  and the church, they would hold a demonstration on 13 May 2013 calling on the Regional Military Commander, the Chief of Police and the Governor of Papua to accept responsibility for  the acts of violence committed on 1 May 2013.These acts of violence resulted in three deaths in Aimas, Sorong and the arrest of dozens of Papuans who were detained in prisons in Biak, Timika and a number of other places in Papua  where events had been held to commemorate the annexation of Papua by the Republic of Indonesia.

On 13 May, at 6.00 am, Uncen students closed the gate into their campus and people started making speeches.The co-ordinator of the event was  the Chairman of BEM-FISIP Uncen (Yason) who had since early morning been delivering speeeches in front of the campus.The closing of the gate resulted in the Deputy Rector  of Uncen, Mr Homer, as well as other  Uncen lecturers arriving to negotiate about re-opening the gate. In response, the students said that  the day was being devoted  to holding peaceful demonstrations in solidarity with people in civil society who had been shot dead by members of the TNI - Indonesian Army - and Polri, the Police Force in Sorong.

While the negotiations were under way, at 8.00am. the police led by the chief of the local area, Kiki Kurnia pushed their way into the area in order to take control of the situation by intimidating the mass of people who had already gathered since early morning. The commander of the police  operation said that this was not permissible and they were told to disperse while remaining at the site. Negotiations then took place with the chief of police of Jayapura City, Alfred Papare, with those who were responsible for continuing the peaceful demonstration, among others Viktor Yeimo (KNPB), Yason (BEM Uncen), Bovit (Garde-P) and Alfares Kapisa (WNPA)  As a result of the negotiations, twenty students representing the mass of people who had gathered went to the MRP (Papuan People's Assembly) riding in a truck. As more and more people  wanted to accompany the group, Victor Yeimo asked for an additional truck.

While negotiations were still proceeding and people were still making speeches,the chief of police ground operations started to provoke the crowd of people, usisng the megaphone to stir the emotions of the demonstrators, but these provocations only caused th demonstrators to smile. Before the demonstrators started to get onto the trucks, those responsible for the action called on all the demonstrators to abide by the guidelines 'SAFEGUARD SECURITY AND PEACE'. Then the crowds were led to the two trucks and a pick-up. Things began to get tense when the chief of the KIKIK KURNIA operations  prevented the demonstrators from using motorbikes The chief of operations ordered tthe police along the road to stop all those who were travelling in convoy by motorbikes to the MRP. When they reached the Perunas Junction, the police began to attack those who were on motorbikes which led to  chaos because the police began to attack the riders who abandoned their motorbikes leaving the bikes unattended.The police then began to destroy the motorbikes which  infuriated the owners of the vehicles. There were furious arguments  and things began to be thrown at the police.  It is not clear who was responsible for doing that.

The police then began to act brutally  and started beating those who were on board the trucks. The chief of the operation then ordered Victor Yeimo to be arrested; he was beaten in the face which caused his face to start bleeding. Victor was pushed onto a Barakuda  and a short while later, he taken from the Barakuda and put onto a police van for detainees.

After Yeimo  had been beaten and arrested, Marthen Manggprouw/MM  was also arrested and beaten. and pushed onto a police detention truck. The police then started beating two other students while pushing them onto the trucks.

Following the arrests, four of the detainees were taken to Polresta Jayapura and as soon as they arrived there , they were interrogated while being driven to  police headquarters.which they reached at 12 noon. Soon afterwards, another three students were arrested and beaten by the police and taken to police headquarters. So, altogether seven activists were arrested and beaten. They are:

Yongky Ulimpa, 23 years old, studying at FISIP Uncen. He was beaten on the head with rattan causing swellings in his head.

Ely Kobak, 17 years old, a student. He was beaten in the face and rattan was tied round his neck  making it difficult for him to eat or drink.or to stand up straight.

Marthen Manggaprouw, 33 years old, a WPNA activist, who was repeatedly struck in the face and kicked from behind as well as in his private parts. He is still suffering  from pain in his penis.

Victor Yeimo, 33 years old,  who was struck in the face causing his face to start bleeding; he is  still in a lot of pain.

Markus Giban, 19 years old, a student. He was beaten in the face and lips  causing bruises and he has become doubled up with pain.

Nius Matuan, 22 years old, who was struck with an M16 rifle butt which damaged his left eyebrow, making him feel dizzy.

Wily Kombo, 22 years old, a student, who was kicked by a member of the Dalmas police unit.causing him to suffer serious bruising in his ribcage.

The seven activists, after having been beaten, were placed under detention. Victor Yeimo and Marthen Manggabrouw were interrogated by police officers while the other five were interrogated at Polresta.  Manggabrouw,who is secretary general of WPNA was told he was being interrogated for crimes against Article 106 (treason) and also for incitement. Victor Yeimo, after being interrogated was immediately taken away by police officers to the attorney-general's office, in connection with an old case in 2011, and was taken to the Abepura Prison, to undergo investigation.

After the interrogations, six of the activists were allowed to go home just before  midnight, because there was no evidence that they had committed treason or incitement. Meanwhile, four activists - Marthen Manggabrouw, Yongky Ulimpa, Willy Kombo and Nius  Matuan were tsken to a local military command post  KOREM 751 in Padang Bulan at 1.15 am. The other two were sent home. after having been given a check-up, because of the injuries they suffered.

Several of the activists are still suffering from the effects of the beatings they sustained.

According to Bintang Papua on 16 May, the police chief, Alfred Papare has declared that all the organisations involved - KNPB, Garda-P and others) will not be allowed to organise any more peaceful demonstrations.

---------------

This Chronology  was received from the GKI, the Movement of Christian Churches.

We very much hope to get your support

[Translated by TAPOL]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from regwestpapua list

5) MIFEE: Customary Landowners Block Access to PT Rajawali’s Land
[also: Meeting with Company, Local Communities Received Compensation of
IDR 1 Billion - see below]


Customary Landowners Block Access to PT Rajawali’s Land

The issue of PT Rajawali’s compensation to villagers in Kampung Domande,
Merauke, has still not been resolved. The villagers, who are the
customary landowners, have blocked access to around 10,000 hectares of
the land which the company wants to use to plant sugar cane.

When Tabloid Jubi met Efendi Kanan, the head of the forestry and
plantation department of Merauke Regency, in his office on Thursday
(30/5), he confirmed the blockade was taking place. “There is a
blockade, and an accompanying letter has been sent to the Regency
Leader, Romanus Mbaraka. I’ve just received a copy of the letter and now
I’ve called the company to request further discussions. However, so far
only company staff have responded. We were hoping the executives would
come”, he said.

If company leaders would join the process, Efendi continued, there could
be further discussion about how to approach a solution. “I also have to
communicate directly with my superiors. But I hope that in the next
couple of days we can arrange a meeting and then go to the village to
discuss with the people”.

If representatives from the regency government and the company went to
Kampung Domande, Efendi explained, they would bring a final decision. “I
don’t know what sort of compensation has been given, but maybe it
relates to the company’s recent logging activities. I doubt it has to do
with the land issue itself. Because that issue has definitely been
discussed between the company and the local people”, he said.

According to Gubernatorial regulations, Efendi explained, the amount of
the people’s timber that the company has logged must be counted up and
paid for by the company. The problem now is whether that has happened or
not. “As far as I know, the company is currently logging the trees on
the land. But it is still not clear and certain whether the trees felled
have been counted and paid for”.

Meanwhile, when tabloidjubi.com met Merauke District Legislative Council
member Hengky Ndiken on Friday (30/5), he said that he had urged the
company clearing the villagers land to make the local people’s security
their first priority, as those people hold the customary land rights “I
feel that since the company has already taken over the people’s land, it
is their clear duty and responsibility to think about how to attend to
their needs”, he said.

Aside from this, Ndiken continued, the people as customary landowners
have to be directly involved, both in the office and in the field. They
can’t just make all sorts of enticing promises, but then ignore the
people once the operations start. “Despite all the local people’s
limitations and lack of skills, the company must provide training and
other activities,” Hengky said.

Furthermore, Ndiken states, if they were given opportunities and space
to become involved, it is sure that the people would not get carried
away with too many protest actions. In that way the investment could
continue without encountering obstacles. “I am optimistic that if they
are involved, the enterprise should proceed well,” he said.

He also hopes that attention is paid to village development. Of course
when a company arrives and presents its plans to the people, they always
also present a work program to ensure the people’s security. But this
program must be actually put in place once the company starts work in
the field.

Ndiken also requests the Merauke Regency Government to remain vigilant
towards company operations, including regarding the people’s rights. “As
a representative of the people, I will be involved in monitoring the
situation regarding people’s rights. They are the owners of this
country, and we need to pay attention to them”, he requested.

Source: Jubi:
http://tabloidjubi.com/2013/05/30/dewan-desak-investor-perhatikan-kesejahteraan-pemilik-hak-ulayat/
English Translation AwasMIFEE: https://awasmifee.potager.org/?p=346

----------------------------------------------------------------

Meeting with Company, Local Communities Received Compensation of IDR 1
Billion


In the beginning of April 2013, in the Company’s Training Center of Bio
Inti Agrindo (BIA), another meeting was held again with the local
Customary Councils of Mbian and Mandobo tribes. Head of Ulilin District
attended the meeting as well as local Police Chief of Ulilin and Muting
Districts, Commander of local military station in Asiki, and
representatives of Marind Mbian Customary Agency. The agenda is to
discuss a claim of Mandobo people to BIA to pay a penalty of IDR 70
billions (USD 7.7 millions) for appropriation of their tradiitonal
forests and land by the company. The negotiation was hardly moved, spent
time of almost twelve hours overnight, from 18:00 afternoon until 05:00
early morning. Finally, an agreement took place that company will pay of
in advance of IDR 1 billions (USD 111,111) for three clans: IDR 100
millions (USD 11,111) for Basik-basik clan; a similar amount for Mahuze
clan; and IDR 300 millions (USD 33,333( for Mandobo clans. The rest will
be paid later as a compensation for all of trees in the forests cut down
by the company.

Silvester Y. Ndiken, Villager of Muting, District of Muting, Merauke

Source: Sorak http://blog.insist.or.id/sorak/en/archives/2551

No comments:

Post a Comment