Saturday, August 31, 2013

1) TNI soldier shot to death in Papua

1) TNI soldier shot to death in Papua

2) West Papuans arrested at prayer session for Freedom Flotilla

1) TNI soldier shot to death in Papua

Sat, August 31 2013 19:38 | 99 Views
Jayapura, Papua (ANTARA News) - At least one member of the Indonesia Military (TNI) was shot to death while patrolling in the Tinggineri area, Papua, on Saturday.

The information from TNI noted that the patrol was attacked by an armed group and identified the casualty as First Private Andre.

Meanwhile, Commander of XVII Cendrawasih Military Regional Command (Kodam), Major General Christian Zebua, said his agency was still investigating the shooting incident.

"I am on duty in Jakarta. However, we still collect data from Tinggineri relating to the shooting incident," Zebua told ANTARA here on Saturday.

The incident occurred when security personnel conducted a patrol in Tinggineri, where the armed group attacked the soldiers.

The officers managed to evacuate the body of the slain soldier from Tinggineri to Tingginambut, a distance of four kilometers.

The TNI has not confirmed whether it would evacuate the body to Mulia or Wamena using land or air transportation. (*)
Editor: Heru
2) West Papuans arrested at prayer session for Freedom Flotilla
Indonesian police charge four with treason after pro-independence 'morning star' flag is raised

Four West Papuan community leaders who attended a church meeting to pray for activists aboard the West Papua Freedom Flotilla are to be charged with treason and could be given long jail terms, it emerged on Friday.
The flotilla is sailing from Australia to draw attention to human rights abuses under Indonesian rule and plans to land in the coming weeks in the West Papuan town of Merauke.
West Papuans Apolos Sewa, 53, Amandus Mirino, 56, Samuel Klasjok, 60, and Yohanes Goram, 53, were detained and interrogated for 24 hours in the Sorong police station before being released at 10pm on Thursday night.

"On Wednesday we had a mass prayer session to welcome the Freedom Flotilla from Australia," Goram told Guardian Australia on the phone from Sorong in West Papua's west. "The police arrived and arrested us at about 6pm."
Goram said the group had been questioned about their activities and asked whether they wanted independence from Indonesia.
"We said, 'yes, we do.' We told them, 'We will struggle for independence from Indonesia because we are different from you, and because of the history between our people. More than 200,000 of our people have been killed by your military in the last 50 years, and ours are the poorest provinces in Indonesia.' "
The four were told by police that they would be charged with treason but were released on condition that they report to Sorong police station twice a week.
The charge carries a long jail term in Indonesia.
Goram said the group had been treated well during their 24-hour detention. "I think they treated us kindly because of international attention," he said.
The head of police at Sorong, Harry Goldenhard, confirmed the charges to Guardian Australia and said the four had been arrested after the banned "morning star" flag was raised following the church service.
"We asked that this activity be stopped and requested that those responsible go to the police headquarters, where they would be asked to give an explanation," he said on the phone from Sorong.
"After a 24-hour investigation we determined that the suspects … are subject to articles 106 and 110 of the criminal code on treason."
The case will be referred to the public prosecutor.

No comments:

Post a Comment