Wednesday, March 12, 2014

1) 350 POLICE PERSONNEL VS DOZENS STUDENTS

1) 350 POLICE PERSONNEL VS DOZENS STUDENTS
2) Unclear funding threatens  Mimika election for regional  head
3) Three more people killed  in tribal clashes in Timika 
4) Two Papuan Men Killed by Brimob After Weapons Raid and Tribal Row
5) 325 SOLDIERS SENT IN TO PAPUA
6) SOLDIERS ACCUSED OF ATTACKING MERAUKE RESIDENT
7) UNCEN AGREES WITH GEMPAR ON SUBSTANCE OF PROTEST
8) LP3BH supports the speech by Vanuatu at the UN Human Rights Counsel

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


http://tabloidjubi.com/en/?p=1554

1) 350 POLICE PERSONNEL VS DOZENS STUDENTS


As many as three hundred and fifty personnel of Jayapura city police, Papua Police and Mobile Brigade were deployed to securdemonstration (Jubi)

Jayapura, 11/3 (Jubi)-About 350 police were deployed to maintain security during a rally by an organization called the Movement of Youths, Students and People (Gempar), in a move that has been criticized as excessive.
Personnel from the Jayapura city police, Papua Police and the Mobile Brigade Unit were  stood guard in some locations in Jayapura on Tuesday (11/3).
Jayapura police chief Alfred Papare told reporters after the demonstration that the large police presence were intended to maintain stability because because the group had announced their planned rally through text messages and leaflets distributed in neighbourhoods like in Perumnas III Waena, the old campus of Cenderwasih University, STIH Umel Mandiri campus , USTJ campus and Otow Geisler campus and STIKOM Muhammadiyah campus.
“We wanted to avoid clashes and conflicts between students and security forces,” Papare.
Protestor Alvares Kapisa said that the protest was peaceful and the presence of security forces in the campus was too much.
“If we are part of this country, we should be allowed be out of the campus and convey our aspirations to the Governor of Papua. We only criticize the policies issued by the Government of Indonesia in Papua, ” Alvares said in his speech. (Jubi / Aprila/ Tina

----------------------------------------------------------------
2) Unclear funding threatens  Mimika election for regional  head
The Jakarta Post, Jayapura | Archipelago | Wed, March 12 2014, 6:04 PM
Mimika General Elections Commission (KPUD) chief Yohanes Kemong has said the second round of the Mimika regional election in might be in vain due to confusion over available funding.
“The Mimika regional election, which is scheduled for March 29, might fail to take place as it is still unclear how much money will be available for the election,” he said in Jayapura, Papua, on Wednesday, as quoted by Antara.
Yohanes said the KPUD Mimika had expected the second round to take place as scheduled, but until now, the regency’s election funding remained unclear.
“Without funding, how can we hold tenders for procurements? The KPUD wishes there was more clarity about the funding so that preparations for the election could begin,” he said.
Yohanes said that in a meeting attended by representatives of the Mimika Leaders Consultative Forum (Muspida), the KPUD Mimika and the Mimika administration, no decision had been made concerning the possible cancellation of the second round of the election.
“The KPUD doesn’t have a reason to cancel the preparations. According to the law, the election for regency head can be canceled only due to security disruptions, natural disasters and funding problems,” said Yohanes.
“So, we will continue preparations for the election until March 29. If it should be canceled, the government must be held responsible,” said Yohanes.
He further said that if funding remained an unresolved issue, the second round of the Mimika election would be likely chaotic and could have an impact on the national legislative election.
“We hope that the Mimika administration and Muspida can unite to promote a successful second-round election,” said Yohanes. (atw/ebf)



---------------------------------------------------------------------
3) Three more people killed  in tribal clashes in Timika 
Nethy Dharma Somba, The Jakarta Post, Jayapura | Archipelago | Wed, March 12 2014, 12:12 PM
Three more people were killed in communal tribal clashes in Timika, the capital of Mimika regency in Papua, on Tuesday, raising the death toll to seven in the clashes which have taken place since March 4, 2014.
At least 36 other people were injured on Tuesday alone. They were parts of hundreds of people being wounded at the large-scale communal clashes which were sparked by the death of one of the local people.
Two of the three dead victims was believed to have been shot by security officers, when the police were trying to disperse the two groups of battling residents, Papua Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Pudjo Sulistio said in Jayapura on Tuesday evening.
The two dead victims were identified as Joen Wandegau and Ekpinus Togime. Their bodies laid at Mitra Masyarakat Hospital for post-mortem examinations, he said.
It was reported earlier that a group of residents conducted a burning ritual on Tuesday afternoon of the body of Kewen Jawane, who died in clashes in the previous morning.
Members of the Kewen group, angered over the death, then shot arrows in the direction of the other community, who gathered across the bridge.
Later, others apparently stormed a post erected by the security personnel on the bridge, which separated the Moni and Dani tribes.
Security personnel dispersed the attacking people, using water cannon and tear gas. Officials said one security officer was injured when struck by an arrow.
The law enforcement officers then used force to disperse the crowd.


-------------------------------------------------------------

4) Two Papuan Men Killed by Brimob After Weapons Raid and Tribal Row

By Banjir Ambarita on 01:07 pm Mar 12, 2014
Category Human RightsNews
Tags: Papua
Jayapura. Two Papuans from the Moni tribe were shot dead by the National Police’s Mobile Brigade (Brimob) on Tuesday during a clash with police in Jayanti, Timika.
Police claimed the two victims were part of a group that attacked police with arrows. Papua Police spokesman Sr. Comm. Sulistyo Pujo confirmed that police had fired on the group.
“Arrows were flying over toward the barricade,” Sulistyo said. ”Police then fired gunshots to dismiss the crowd attacking them. One officer,  Eka, was shot in the neck and is now in intensive care. Two residents, J.M. and T.M., were found dead after we conducted a sweep of the area.”
Sulistyo said that at 6 a.m. local time, Mimika Police went door to door in Jayanti to recover guns and other weapons after tensions between the Dani and Moni tribes had become exacerbated in recent days and threatened to spill over into violence.
“The sweep was also to detain the two tribe chiefs,” Sulistyo said.
Police seized dozens of bows and arrows, he added, but it was later found that a Moni man had been killed. There was no indication that he was killed by police.
The Moni then fired several arrows toward the rival Dani tribe before turning on police, whom they blamed for the man’s death because his weapons had been seized.
The police then fired on the Moni.
“After the crowd was finally dispersed, we then found the two people who had been shot,” Sulistyo said, adding that their remains have been sent to Timika for autopsies.
Sulistyo said police had the situation under control.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://tabloidjubi.com/en/?p=1561

5) 325 SOLDIERS SENT IN TO PAPUA


Suva, 10/3 (Jubi)-As many as 650 soldiers of the Army Battalion 715 Motuliato Gorontalo will be posted in the border with Papua New Guinea for 6 months.
The first batch of 325 soldiers left Gorontalo on Sunday (9/3) and while a date for the departure of the second batch is still unclear. According to republika.co.id news portal, the soldiers were being sent  to Papua as part of duties to maintain the territorial integrity of the Republic of Indonesia.
North Gorontalo regent, Indra Yasin said the local government and communities support the mission. Yasin said he believed that soldiers are not only dedicated to securing the border but also to the development of the nation.
North Gorontalo government also support the soldiers to serve as teachers in Papua.
Some soldiers who had departed hold teaching certificates.
“They are expected to perform their duties in good health, so they can return to Gorontalo,” Yasin said.
The departure ceremony, led by Brigadier General Santiago Waking Moses, was attended by Otamanasa Commander 22 Infantry Brigade, the military and police officers in the area, as well as the families of the soldiers. (Jubi/Mawel/Tina)



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6) SOLDIERS ACCUSED OF ATTACKING MERAUKE RESIDENT
Merauke, Jubi (11/3) – Two soldiers have been accused of wounding a Merauke resident with a knife.
The resident, Alex Pay, was slashed in the neck in the attack on Sunday, 10 March 2014 around midnight.
The victim told police that the commander of the suspected soldier called him to distribute sand even though local authorities have banned sand mining.
After finishing his job, those two soldiers called and asked him to buy two bottles of alcohol drink. He obeyed  and drank with them. Then the two soldiers asked for a lift in his car to return to their homes in Kelapa Lima.
When they got to Cikombong Street, one of the soldiers, who has not been identified, asked him for money. Pay said the money belonged to their commander, and suddenly a soldier grabbed his bag, pulled his hair and hit him while the other cut his neck using a knife. In panic, he jumped from the car and ran away.
Separately, Merauke Military Commander Lieutenant Infantry Dedy Hartono told totabloidjubi.com on Tuesday (11/3) that his office has contacted the commander of the former and on-duty Military Task Force but has no result. The Task Force commander on duty is ready to be reconciled.
“We are still conducting a further investigation. If it’s proved, we will conduct a legal process and that soldier will be returned to his unit,” the commander said. (Jubi/Frans L Kobun/rom)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
7) UNCEN AGREES WITH GEMPAR ON SUBSTANCE OF PROTEST
Jayapura, 11/3 (Jubi) – The Cenderawasih University understood the objections of student protesters to a new Special Autonomy bill voiced during a rally on Tuesday (11/3).
“I agree that there are certain sections of Special Autonomy Plus that probably need to be discussed further. All sections of society including the intellectuals must get involved in reviewing this bill,” Assistant Rector III Freddy Sokoy told reporters in Waena, Jayapura.
However, he said students should express their opinion peacefully in accordance with the law and the police should also act proportionally.
“I hoped the students are able to express their opinion like that. If there is a deadlock, for example the security forces have a different type of arrangements, they should be communicated to each other,” he said.
He hoped when meeting with the Governor, the students grouped under the Movement of Students, Youths and People (GempaR) would able to show that Papuans are civilized people with their own cultural and traditional wisdom.
“We are not talking about independence, but human rights violations that are happening in Papua. This issue is not only for Papuans, but is also an international issue,” he said.
“We have to express it respectfully to gain other people’s attention that we are living in suffering and then it would be one voice. Students only can help people because not everyone is able to speak,” he said.
Coordinator of GempaR, Yason Ngelia said in his speech that there was a sad story behind the Special Autonomy of Papua because of the injustice perpetrated by the government during the Old and New Order eras till the post-reform 1998 era.
During those times, the security forces committed many human rights violations and discrimination against Papuans, who have been so marginalized in many development sectors that they resort to demanding for their political status.
“There were expectations that the Special Autonomy Law in Papua w would be able to solve the problems. But in reality, it couldn’t answer the problems of Papuan people,” he said. (Jubi/Aprila/rom)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
8) LP3BH supports the speech by Vanuatu at the UN Human Rights Counsel

 The Institute for the Investigation, Verification and Support of Human Rights - Manokwari, one of the civil society organisations which supports Civil Society organisations, strongly supports the speech made by Prime Minister of Vanuatu, Moana Carcessess Kalosil at the United Nations in which he spoke about the many cases of systematic violation of grave human rights in the Land of Papua.

    The leader of the state of Vanuatu delivered the speech  at the UN Human Rights Council at its 25th session which was held in Geneva, Switzerland.

     The LP3BH fully supports the follow-up actions which were called for  by the senior representative of the government of Vanuatu because it is clear that the Indonesian government does not have the political will to make possible a resolution of the many human rights violations which have been perpetrated in the Land of Papua for the last fifty years, ever since the Papuan people were integrated into the Republic of Indonesia.

     No-one can deny that the response by the Ambassador of Indonesia, Tri Wibowo, at the Council meeting made it absolutely clear that he totally rejects the speech  by the Vanuatu government. The Indonesian representative made it clear that he rejects the remarks made by Vanuatu and he failed to present any facts that would have supported this very important statement about the violation of human rights in West Papua.

     This is because Papua's integration into Indonesia has always aroused protest and heated discussion  among the Papuan people, in particular the indigenous Papuan people, regarding  what has been happening for the past fifty years.

    And even now, everything that the Indonesian military and police have been doing shows that the security forces continue to perpetrate systematic violence and brutality against the Papuan people throughout the provinces of Papua and West Papua.

      Nothing has been done to resolve these cases in accordance with the mechanisms stipulated in Law 39/1999 on Basic Human Rights and Law 26/2000 on Human Rights Courts., as well as Law 21/2001  on Special Autonomy for Papua, especially in paragraphs 44, 45 and 46.

    This makes it clear that the call by the Prime Minister of Vanuatu for the issue of basic human rights in the Land of Papua must be raised again at the United Nations and put on the agenda of the Human Rights Council by drafting a resolution that deals with the human rights situation in West Papua which could win the support of people throughout the world, including the Indonesian Government, the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the US Government.

    This is why  the appeal made by the Prime Minister of Vanuatu Moana Carcessess can guarantee that investigations to study the violation of basic human rights can get the  support of customary peoples including the indigenous people of West Papua.

     The LP3BH therefore declares that it will make every effort to gather together all the information that is currently available about the violation of basic human rights that have been perpetrated since 1963 to be presented to the UN Human Rights Council as an important step to ensure that there is a comprehensive resolution of  the issue of the violation of basic human rights in the Land of Papua although no progress has been made for the past fifty years.

[Translated by Carmel Budiardjo]

[NB: In some places, this translation strayed slightly from the text, so as to ensure that the meaning is clear to the reader.]

No comments:

Post a Comment