Tuesday, July 28, 2015

1) PIF urged to discuss rights abuse in West Papua

2) Freeport gets nod to renew  export permit, pays lower  duty - 
3) Tolikara Regent: If only the police chief had listened to me…
4) papua - magnitude-7.2 earthquake strikes mamberamo raya causing one death - (d)
5) Government Urged to Pay Attention to 12 Victims of Tolikara Incident
————————————————————————————————————-

1) PIF urged to discuss rights abuse in West Papua
Updated at 7:51 pm today
                                                                                                                                            Photo: RNZ

The Australia West Papua Association is calling on Pacific Islands Forum leaders to address what it describes as a deteriorating human rights situation in Indonesia's Papuan provinces.
Its call comes in the lead up to the 46th Pacific Islands Forum Leaders Summit to be held in Papua New Guinea in September.
The group says Indonesia's security forces used excessive and often lethal force on peaceful protesters in West Papua on numerous occasions in 2014 resulting in at least four deaths.
The association is urging the leaders at the summit to discuss the human rights situation in West Papua and seek Indonesia's approval for a Forum fact finding mission to West Papua.
It is also calling for the release of all West Papuan political prisoners and the granting of observer status to genuine representatives of the Melanesian people of West Papua.
———————————————————————————
2) Freeport gets nod to renew  export permit, pays lower  duty - 
Raras Cahyafitri, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Business | Tue, July 28 2015, 3:15 PM - 
Giant gold and copper miner PT Freeport Indonesia has received certainty from the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry that its export permit, which ended last week, will be extended.

The ministry’s director general for minerals and coal, Bambang Gatot Ariyono, said on Monday evening that his office would soon issue a recommendation that the Trade Ministry renew Freeport’s export permit.

The mining giant will also be allowed to pay lower export duty thanks to encouraging progress in the construction of the its smelting plant.

“Principally, the company has fulfilled its obligation, its commitment. Therefore, tomorrow, the government can issue a [export permit] recommendation for the next six months,” Bambang said.

Under the recommendation, Freeport Indonesia will be allowed to export up to 775,000 tons of copper concentrate in the next six months.

Freeport Indonesia, a subsidiary of US-based Freeport-McMoRan Inc., saw its export permit expire last Saturday. The company currently produces approximately 2.5 million tons of copper concentrate per year.

The export permit is necessary for the company to continue shipping its partly processed copper concentrate despite the government’s implementation of a ban on raw mineral exports in January 2014. Due to a loosening of the export ban, export permit’s for raw minerals is now possible as long as the company in question shows commitment to making progress on smelter developments and they pay export tax.

The export tax is set at between 0 and 7.5 percent, depending on the progress of smelter development, which is calculated based on the amount of money spent. An export tax of 7.5 percent is imposed on companies whose disbursement is at 0 to 7.5 percent of their total investment in downstream facilities. A 5 percent export duty is applied to a company whose spending is at between 7.5 and 30 percent.

When smelter development spending has progressed past 30 percent, a company is then exempt from export duty.

Bambang said that Freeport Indonesia’s smelter plant had reached about 11 percent, so it would only pay 5 percent in export tax on its copper concentrate for the next six months. Under its previous two export permits, the company paid 7.5 percent in export duty.

The 11 percent progress consists of spending on basic engineering, land rent and a deposit of US$20 million into an escrow account to be paid by Tuesday, according to Bambang.

To comply with the government downstream policy requirements, Freeport Indonesia is currently working to develop a new smelter in Gresik, East Java, with an estimated investment of $2.3 billion.

Freeport Indonesia executive vice president for public affairs Clementino Lamury said his company expected to be able to ship its copper concentrate under the new permit soon.

“We hope to export it by the end of the week,” he said.

While the export permit will be extended, Freeport Indonesia is currently under the spotlight following its attempt to seek certainty over its operation after the termination of its contract in 2021. Critics have argued that its poor progress in smelter development was also driven by uncertainty regarding its operation after 2021.

It has also drawn criticism following a series of deadly incidents at its mining site in Papua. On Saturday, an employee of theirs died while working with conveyor facilities.

Investigation by the ministry’s mineral and coal office is currently taking place to reveal the details and causes of the incident. 
———————————————————
3) Tolikara Regent: If only the police chief had listened to me…
TUESDAY, 28 JULY, 2015 | 16:08 WIB
TEMPO.COJakarta - A bloody incident exploded at Tolikara district in Papua two weeks ago. It happened when hundreds of people taking part at a seminar and an international spiritual service organized by the Indonesian Evangelical Church (GIDI), tried to disperse a number of local residents about to conduct their Idul Fitri prayers at the Tolikara Military Command field.
The incident which resulted in the burning of shopes and the Baitul Muttaqin mosque, according Tolikara Regent Usman G. Wanimbo, occurred because of police neglect. He admitted that he had suggested to Tolikara Police precinct chief, Adj. Sr. Comr. Soeroso to held the community prayers elsewhere. "But he didn't listen to me," Wanimbo told Tempo reporter Maria Hasugian, when she twice interviewed him last week.
Why was there violence?
I flew to Jakarta on Sunday morning, five days before the riots. The following Monday, I told Tolikara Police Chief Soeroso that I had received a letter from the elders of the Tolikara GIDI. Essentially, the letter contained a ban on Idul Fitri prayers at Tolikara. The GIDI elders asked that the Id prayers be carried out in Wamena or Jayapura, to avoid any untoward incidents. The students attending the seminar and the international spiritual workshop, who recalled the closure of churches outside Papua, were disappointed. That was why the Tolikara GIDI issued an edict dated July 11. I asked that it be revised to say that the Id prayers can be held at Karubaga but at the musholla (small mosque). I conveyed that message to the Tolikara police chief.
 
Why at the musholla?
So that it would not create problems. Prayers taking place outside, especially with the use of loudspeakers, was not allowed. The Muslim community knew that. It's an understanding that has existed for years. Hence my suggestion to the police chief, which he failed to do.
 
Did the police chief inform you of the venue change for the prayers?
He did not inform me, there was no communication between us until the riots happened.
 
(To Tempo, Soeroso admitted that during the previous years, Idul Fitri prayers were held outside on the police precinct grounds because the musholla could no longer accomodate everyone. He guaranteed security).
 
What should have been done if the venue was changed?
To organize Id prayers at the military command area, a request should be submitted to the district military commander. I known there was activity there, even though I was not informed of it. Meanwhile, there were about 2,000 youths attending GIDI event. About 150 of them headed towards the Id prayer area to stop the loudspeaker. They intended to take it down, because it continued to be blaring. Then a short was heard, seemingly to disperse the youths and stop them from throwing rocks.
 
Did the police chief take part in the Id prayers?
Yes, he did. He was there as the security officer. But it turned out to be no guarantee.
 
Where were you when all this happened?
I was asleep on my desk, it was 3am.
 
How did you know there was rioting?
I heard the loudspeaker, and there was something strange about it. It turned out to be announcing the prayers. I was shocked, it was never like this. The kids made noises, I ran towards the prayer venue, still wearing my pajamas.
 
Were you aware that the police were not armed, as explained by the police chief?
That's right but if I had opened up more, it would have been worse.
 
What do you mean by worse?
If they were not armed, where did the gunshot come from? No army personnel were out, they were asked to guard the military complex.
 
(Soeroso claimed the people no longer respected the regent and the police chief. According to procedures, Soeroso ordered warning shots.) (*)
 
Read the full interview in this week's edition of Tempo English Magazine
—————————————————————
4) papua - magnitude-7.2 earthquake strikes mamberamo raya causing one death - (d)
Selasa, 28 Juli 2015 15:46 WIB
Jayapura, Papua (ANTARA News) - A 7.2-magnitude earthquake jolted Mamberamo Raya, Papua, on Tuesday, at 6:41 am Indonesia Eastern Time (WIT), resulting in one casualty and damaging several houses, according to the Mamberamo Natural Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD).

Head of the BPBD Marthen Rumbino stated that the victim was identified as 15-year-old Naftali Kruwei.

The victim slipped while fishing, but his body has been found.

Apart from the damage caused to the buildings, two houses, a mobile hospital, a warehouse, and 50 meters of the highway, among others, also bore the brunt of the quake, Rumbino remarked.

"The quakes epicenter was located at a depth of 49 kilometers below sea level and 75 kilometers southeast of Mamberamo Raya," he revealed.

The quakes epicenter was also located 81 kilometers northeast of Tolikara and 99 kilometers northwest of Mamberamo, Papua.

The epicenter of the earthquake was located at 2.87 degrees South Latitude and 138.53 degrees East Longitude.

“The temblor, however, did not have the potential to trigger a tsunami," he added.
——————————————————————————————-
5) Government Urged to Pay Attention to 12 Victims of Tolikara Incident
Jayapura, Jubi – A member of the Papua Legislative Council (DPRP) said the government had not paid attention to 12 civilians who were shot during the rioting in Karubaga, Tolikara two weeks ago.
The chairman of the Special Committee on Human Rights of the DPRP, Laurenzus Kadepa said, no official had talked about the shooting of the 12 civilians, which killed one of them.
“The state has not yet discussed the Tolikara incident that left one child dead and 11 people wounded. All the victims are indigenous Papuans, ” Kadepa said via text message to Jubi, last week.
According to him, state officials were only busy talking about the burned mosque and stalls.
“Why is the state only managing and investigating the matter of the mosque and kiosks and ignore the lives of Papuans. It’s a matter of humanity that should not be underestimated. Papuans are not animals who can be arbitrarily shot, “he said.
Papua legislative speaker Yunus Wonda said the burned mosque can be rebuilt but “what about the lives of Papuan who are the victims of the shooting?”
“We ask the police to uncover who the perpetrators of the shooting. Various parties described that the shooting incident that led to a tense situation was because people in the mountains has been traumatized by the sound of guns. There was no intention to burn mushola, “Yunus Wonda added. (Arjuna Pademme/ Tina)
——————————————————
6) Sack Containing Bullets and six Bombs Found by Residents
Merauke, Jubi – Residents in Mandala village, Merauke regency, have found a sack containing bullets and six bombs.
The bullets and bombs were allegedly left by Dutch colonizers because the residents discovered them when digging a hole.
“It is true there was the discovery of bullets and bombs by one of the residents on Friday, July 24, 2015. After finding them, the person immediately reported to the police,” Merauke police spkesman Inspector Richard Nainggolan told Jubi at his office on last week.
“We’re not sure whether they are active or not as when received reports, we immediately secured them, “he added.
Norbertus Niken, a resident of Jalan Brawijaya said, he is sure it is bombs and bullets. ” Two days ago residents dug and these items and they ignore it, “he said.
“When I came and dug again, there were bombs and bullets in vast quantities. We immediately secured one sack of bullets and six bombs,” he explained.
He then reported to the police and police immediately came and secured. “We do not know whether they are active or not yet apparently they are still active and if swiped, could be exploded, “he said. (Frans L Kobun/ Tina)
————————————————

No comments:

Post a Comment