Thursday, July 30, 2015

1) Trade official’s illness delays Freeport’s Indonesia export permit

2) Ombudsman: Victims’ Family Are Complaining on Interview by Many Parties
3) Papua’s Parliament Doubts Police Could Reveal Tolikara’s Shooting Perpetrator
4) Papua Police Forced the Tolikara’s Shooting Victims to Sign a Statement Letter
——————————————————————

1) Trade official’s illness delays Freeport’s Indonesia export permit
Deals Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50am EDT
The implementation of an export deal reached earlier this week by Indonesia and Freeport-McMoRan (FCX.N) has been delayed indefinitely due to the sickness of a senior trade ministry official.
Arizona-based Freeport, which runs one of the biggest copper mines in Papua, reached an agreement with the Indonesian government to export 775,000 tonnes of copper over the next six months on Monday, after proving sufficient progress on the construction of a second domestic smelter.
Freeport and Indonesia were involved in an export spat for much of last year which hurt shipments and was only resolved after the miner agreed to build a domestic smelter, pay higher royalties and divest more of its Indonesian unit.
"The recommendation (from the mine ministry) came yesterday," Didi Sumedi, director of export industry and mining product at the trade ministry told reporters on Wednesday. "With the current situation, perhaps we'll need some more time."
"The dirgen (director general) is currently recovering from a health condition, but I think it won't be long," said Sumedi, who was unable to give a timeframe but added that the permit would need the director general's signature.
Partogi Pangaribuan is the Indonesian trade ministry's director general for foreign trade, and Sumedi said Pangaribuan is due to retire on Aug. 1 and be replaced soon after.
Freeport Indonesia agreed to deposit the last $20 million instalment for the building of a second copper smelter as part of Monday's deal.
Freeport Indonesia Chief Executive Maroef Sjamsoeddin told reporters on Wednesday that although export approval was yet to be received from the trade ministry, a shipment of 20,000-30,000 tonnes was ready to be shipped immediately once it came through.
(Reporting by Bernadette Christina and Wilda Asmarini; Writing by Michael Taylor; Editing by Michael Perry and Tom Hogue

——————————————————
2) Ombudsman: Victims’ Family Are Complaining on Interview by Many Parties
Jayapura, Jubi – Ombudsman of the Republic of Indonesia Papua Representative conduct an inspection to Dok II Jayapura Public Hospital related to lack of services on six Tolikara’s shooting victims on 17 July 2015.
The inspection was aimed to clarify to hospital authority about their service, and the inspection hold on 24 July was aimed to meet with the Director of Dok II Hospital Jerry Msen related to seven referral patients from Tolikara as stated in Ombudsman’s press release received by Jubi on Tuesday (28/7/2015).
“The victims are seven people who referred to the hospital but one died because of bleeding and didn’t get the first aid from referral hospital,” said Ombudsman in the release.
Further, the six victims have received the proper treatment according to medical treatment procedure at Emergency Room by three doctors who cleansed up their wounds before surgery. According to Ombudsman the six victims has got a surgery on 22 and 23 July 2015. Both Director and Deputy Director of Dok II Hospital confirmed to put the victims of Tolikara incident as priority, while they needed further treatment by specialist through specific equipment to detect the bullet fragments in their body.
About the hospital’s negligence over the victims, Director Jerry Msen accompanied with the Head of Medical Service said it’s not true because once they had referral patients, three doctors were already prepared to take care of them at Emergency Room. Dr. Anton Mote who also managed the referral process and brought the patients to Dok II Hospital said similar statement.
Ombudsman conveyed to the Director of Dok II Hospital and his staffs that it’s important to provide a good service and fulfill the patient’s right for a service. Furthermore, Ombudsman visited the six victims and ensure their condition is getting better and ready to return to Tolikara.
Meanwhile, according to Ombudsman, both victims and their family are still complaining about many parties who still want to meet the victims for interview. It made them feel uncomforted and they need more comforted care. Ombudsman also advised the victims’ family to submit their complaint directly to the Director of Dok II Hospital or to Ombudsman Papua Representative.
The Office Head of Ombudsman Papua Representative Iwanggin S. Olif said the victims have the right to obtain the compliance of service and to be free of other intervention in order to support and accelerate the recovery process.
Additionally, Iwanggin said Ombudsman expects this clarification could become information to all beneficiaries if they found the similar situation. According to Iwanggin, all parties should be coordinated to fulfill the service to the public in general, and particularly related to Tolikara’s victims. He said it needs clear confirmation to avoid becoming another issue. (Dominggus Mampioper/rom)
————————————————————-
3) Papua’s Parliament Doubts Police Could Reveal Tolikara’s Shooting Perpetrator
Jayapura, Jubi – Human Right Special Committee of Papua Legislative Council stated their doubt on the police to reveal the shooting perpetrator over 12 civilians at Karubaga, Tolikara Regency, Papua in the incident of two weeks ago.
“I doubt the police can reveal the actors behind the incident that killed a boy and wounded 11 others at Tolikara,” the Chairman Laurenzus Kadepa told Jubi on Tuesday (28/7/2015).
According to him, it’s not only the shooting case at Tolikara, but he also doubt another shooting cases that previously occurred in Papua could be revealed, such as the shooting case that killed four students and wounded dozens of civilians at Enarotali, Paniai, or Yahukimo case, Dogiyai case and so on.
“It’s not limited to those cases, but also a lot of cases in Papua are still not being solved. It is a evidence that the police is not capable though there’s so much evidences, data and witnesses,” he said.
Related to the statement of one of Tolikara’s shooting victims, Amaten Wenda who confessed he and his friend were forced to give their thumbprint by the police while under the hospital’s treatment, Kadepa also criticized it.
“I don’t agree if it was done by force, the police forced to take their thumbprint. For whatever it is, it’s wrong. Moreover, the victims didn’t know what is the purpose,” he said.
The victims and their family earlier said the police forced them to sign a letter without they noticed about the content. Two of six victims were forced to give their thumbprint by a man claimed officer of Papua Police. “He grabbed my hand and put my thumb on a paper. I didn’t want it but he forced me. I couldn’t fight him because my arm is hurt,” said Amaten Wenda. (Arjuna Pademme/rom)
——————————————————————————————
4) Papua Police Forced the Tolikara’s Shooting Victims to Sign a Statement Letter
Jayapura, Jubi – A man claimed officer of Papua Police forced the Tolikara’s shooting victims to sign a statement letter without noticing the content, told the victims and their family to Jubi on Monday (27/7/2015).
The man reportedly forced two of six victims who are currently staying at man’s surgery room of Dok II Public Hospital to give their thumbprint. “He took my hand then put my thumbprint on a paper,” told Amaten Wenda who was shot on the right arm and should be got two surgeries as bullet crushed the bone.
Right now his right arm is still His right arm is still bandage covering and swelling. “I didn’t want it but he forced me. I couldn’t fight him because my arm’s hurt,” the 30 old years farmer Wenda said.
Besides Wenda, paramedic who accompanied the six young men said similar thing happened to Yetimbula Yikwa. “He’s mute, unable to speak. That man (the police) came and talked with him but he cannot answer. Then, the man grabbed his hand and put his thump on a paper,” said paramedic Jekson Weya.
This coercive measure was occurred on Sunday (26/7). Meanwhile, other victims admitted refusing to sign since there’s no explanation about its purpose. “I refused because do not know what is it for. I hope my parents, and the Church could check over this,” said Yulianus Lambe who’s been shot on left leg.
Lack of Medical Care
Chairman of GIDI Youth, Yadianus Mabel deplored the police’s action taking signature of victims with violence.
“I deplore the police’s attitude. Why could he grab the victim’s hand like that? It’s still hurt. It was suspicious. If they want to help they couldn’t do that way,” said Mabel.
He said he has met with two police officers when they want to meet with other victims for signature on Monday. He said to the officers to leave the victims alone because they are already traumatized by the incident.
“We already have a lawyer. Just call our lawyer if want to meet. The police who want any information, please contact our lawyer,” he firmly said.
Meanwhile, Deputy Chairman of GIDI Youth Amos Kobak who also came to visit the victims at hospital said the coercive measure could be happened due to lack of attention and weak of control from hospital authority.
“We also deplore about no medical attention. There are patients in here but the hospital just let the others came using force to get the signature. They should help the patients from others for their comfort,” said Kobak. (Yuliana Lantipo/rom)

No comments:

Post a Comment