Monday, September 14, 2015

1) Island in focus: 950 soldiers sent for border patrol -

2) Hostage situation in PNG not political: Chief security minister
———————————————————————————————-

1) Island in focus: 950 soldiers  sent for border patrol -
The Jakarta Post, Semarang | Archipelago | Mon, September 14 2015, 3:12 PM -
Nine hundred and fifty personnel from the Army’s Diponegoro Regional Military IV Command (Kodam) overseeing Central Java and Yogyakarta were deployed to Papua on Saturday to patrol the border area between Indonesia’s easternmost province and neighboring Papua New Guinea (PNG).

The personnel left Semarang’s Tanjung Emas Port in war ships KRI Teluk Cendrawasih and KRI Teluk Teratai, with Kodam chief Maj. Gen. Jaswandi and Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo overseeing their departure.

Jaswandi said they would later be stationed along the 760-kilometer-long land border between Indonesia and PNG. “This [deployment] is a routine [assignment]. Among our main duties are to protect border crossers and to prevent illegal logging practices. Those are noble duties for the soldiers,” he said.

The soldiers, according to Jaswandi, will spend nine months in Papua before being replaced by a new deployment.
———————————————————————————————

2) Hostage situation in PNG not political: Chief security minister

Senin, 14 September 2015 22:55 WIB | 477 Views
Jakarta (ANTARA News) - The Coordinating Minister for Political, Security and Legal Affairs, Luhut Pandjaitan said on Monday that the recent incident of two Indonesians being taken hostage in Papua New Guinea was not political.

"Actually, the incident is a criminal act. It has nothing to do with politics," he said.

He further said that the Papua New Guinea government and the Indonesian government representative: the defense attache from the Indonesian embassy in Port Moresby, are continuing to negotiate with the hostage takers.

The Papua regional police command and the regional military command have also coordinated with the PNG police and military with regards to the incident.

"Until today there was no talk about ransom or an operation to free the hostages. The Indonesian and Papua New Guinea governments are still conducting negotiations, so let us just wait for the results," he said.

On Saturday, the Indonesian consulate in Vanimo, the capital of Sandaun province, Papua New Guinea, said that two Indonesian citizens, identified as Sudirman (28) and Badar (30) had been kidnapped by unknown people in the village of Skoutio in the Sandaun province.

They were taken by armed men on Wednesday while cutting wood in Skopro in the sub-district of Arso Timur in the district of Kerom, Papua bordering Papua New Guinea, which is a three-hour walk from Skoutio.

Papua New Guinea Defense Forces had also confirmed the incident. The Papua Cenderawasih XVII Military Command, Major General, Hinsa Siburian said the hostage taking was carried out by members of an armed group led by JP.

Besides taking two hostages, the armed group members had also shot Kuba, a friend of Sudirman and Badar, injuring him seriously.

National Police Chief, General Badrodin Haiti said efforts are still being made to free the hostages.

"Our representatives are coordinating with the security agency in Papua New Guinea so let us just wait for the result," he said during a visit to West Nusa Tenggara.

Meanwhile, the Free Papua Movements group leader, Jeffrey, has said that the two hostages would be freed if members of his family, held by the Keerom police in Papua in a narcotics case, are released. 

Commenting on this, Haiti said, "We cannot follow their way of settling the problem because it would all depend upon the results of the negotiations conducted by the government with the armed group."(*)

No comments:

Post a Comment