Tuesday, February 11, 2014

1) Second Rank of Province Papua: People Living with HIV/AIDS in Jayapura Municipality

1) Second Rank of Province Papua: People Living with HIV/AIDS in Jayapura Municipality 
3) TNI warns of foreign meddling  
4) W. Papua legislators found  guilty of graft

1) Second Rank of Province Papua: People Living with HIV/AIDS in Jayapura Municipality Reach 3,432

Jayapura, 7/2 (Jubi) – The case of people living with HIV/AIDS in Jayapura Municipality is categorized high. As of 30 September 2013, the case of people living with HIV/AIDS in Jayapura Municipality reaches 3,432 cases and put it in the second rank of the region with the highest case of people living with HIV/AIDS in Papua Province.
“As of 30 September 2013, there are 15,577 HIV/AIDS cases in Papua Province. And for Jayapura Municipality there are 3,432 cases which are 172 were died,” Vice Mayor of Jayapura Municipality Dr. Nur Alam, M.Si told to the reporters after giving a lecturer at STIKOM Muhammadiyah Jayapura, Papua, Thursday (6/2).
Nur Alam said the figures are the total number of people living with HIV/AIDS in Jayapura Municipality since it was revealed in 1992. In Papua Province, Jayapura Municipality is ranked in the second position after Timika Municipality for the number of people living with HIV/AIDS. According to Nur Alam, this figures doesn’t mean that the municipality government was not capable to address this problem.
“There are several factors. It could be happened because of not all patients who came to Jayapura have the ID cards. Also it could be happened because of the patients came from the nearby districts due to the more completed medical facilities in Jayapura.  And also it could be happened because of the lack of awareness in the community to conduct a medical check up for HIV/AIDS in the hospital,” he said.
According to Nur Alam, the government currently has already opened the Community Health Center that provide the public services for 24 hours that will facilitate people to conduct the early check-up.
“Unfortunately, most of patients came for treatment or check for HIV/AIDS after the stage of high stadium. We asked people to do a check up more quickly. The sooner is better, because at the law stadium, the disease still can be good treated, not for full recovery but to slow the virus improvement and the patient could still be alive the next 5 – 10 years,” he said.
Related to a lecturer at STIKOM Muhammadiyah, Hendrikus Yeimo, one of students at STIKOM, said he was happy to get a new knowledge. “Sex education in school is important for the high school students considering the progress of information and communication right now,” he said. (Jubi/Aprila/rom)


Jayapura, 8/2 (Jubi) – A student at Cenderawasih University, Reno Magai was surprised when she was asked to pay for medical treatment at State General Hospital ( RSUD) in Abepura on Friday night ( 2/7).
She wondered whatever happened to free medical treatment promised to indigenous Papuans.
“My body was shivering. I thought it might be malaria.  So I decided to go to RSUD Abepura. I arrived at RSUD at 4.00 pm. At first registration, the ER staff charged me nine thousand rupiah. After that I was directed to the Lab for a blood test. The result was negative. Furthermore, I got a prescription and a note from a doctor in the ER that I had to pay Rp 90,000 at the cashier,” she told to tabloidjubi.com in Padangbulan, Jayapura, on Friday night (2/7).
She said she argued with hospital staff that she should have free medical treatment under a government program reported in the media. Eventually, Reno was charged 50,000 rupiah.
Soon after she paid, she went back to the doctor to get the drugs. To her surprise, she was sill asked to pay another 5,000 rupiah in an administration fee.
RSUD Abepura director Drg. Aloysius Giay could not be reached for comment. (Jubi / Aprila/Tina)

3) TNI warns of foreign meddling   
Margareth S. Aritonang, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Headlines | Tue, February 11 2014, 9:29 AM

Indonesian Military (TNI) commander Gen. Moeldoko said on Monday that the nation’s armed forces would intensify their vigilance amid rising tensions with Australia and Singapore, which came at a time when Indonesia was preparing for elections.

In a closed-door meeting with the House of Representatives Commission I overseeing foreign affairs and defense, Moeldoko was asked if the recent bilateral spats with Canberra and Singapore were designed by foreign powers to disrupt the elections that would be held within the next six months.

The TNI commander said he believed the incidents had nothing to do with the elections, but that he was aware that the country was now focusing on domestic security prior to the legislative election and the election to determine the successor to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono. “[What has happened recently] was accidental, but we will always be alert in protecting our borders,” Moeldoko said.

Relations between Indonesia and Singapore turned sour recently following Jakarta’s decision to name a Navy frigate after two Indonesian national heroes who were executed in the city-state in the 1960s for a bomb attack that killed three people.

Singapore has protested Indonesia’s move, saying that it would open old wounds and hurt the feelings of the victims of the bombing, which took place during Indonesia’s confrontation with Malaysia.

Jakarta, however, ignored Singapore’s concerns, prompting the latter to cancel a bilateral meeting on the two nations’ defense cooperation and the former to cancel its attendance at the Singapore Airshow.

The row with Singapore came after Jakarta and Canberra froze cooperation over the latter’s alleged spying on Yudhoyono and its unilateral move to tow undocumented migrants seeking asylum in Australia back to Indonesian waters.

Moeldoko assured the commission that despite media reports about Indonesia’s relationships and its neighbors, including Australia, Singapore and Papua New Guinea (PNG), over recent issues, the countries’ ties in terms of defense remained conducive.

“It’s all about misunderstandings. Otherwise, I would not be able to reassure you now,” Moeldoko said.

House Commission I chairman Mahfudz Siddiq said that it was odd that so many incidents involving the neighboring countries had occurred successively so close to the polls.

On Saturday, five Indonesian fishermen from Merauke were reported missing after their boat was destroyed by PNG naval personnel and the men were forced to swim to the shore.

The PNG personnel reportedly checked the men’s documents and proceeded to confiscate a sum of money, cigarettes and two cans of fuel. The PNG sailors then set the fishermen’s boat alight and ordered the 10 passengers to swim back to Merauke.

Only five fishermen managed to reach the coast off Karu, which is also in PNG territory, while the other five men remain unaccounted for.

According to Moeldoko, the TNI is investigating the incident.

“Three incidents taking place one after the other. This is unusual,” Mahfudz said. The commission, he added, therefore urged Moeldoko to investigate the possibility of “intentional design” by foreign agencies and to increase measures to protect the country from foreign threats while at the same time focusing on safeguarding the elections.

 Several lawmakers said that the response by Singapore to the naming of the KRI Usman-Harun 359 in of honor two marines operating under the identities of Usman bin Haji Muhammad Ali and Harun bin Said was excessive.

The two men were executed in Singapore in 1968 for the bombing of MacDonald House on Orchard Road, which left three dead and 33 injured.

Moeldoko himself had asked Singapore to stop calling the duo “terrorists”. “I cannot accept that Usman and Harun are represented as terrorists. They were marines. They were working for the state,” Moeldoko said.

Usman, whose real name was Janatin, and Harun, whose real name was Tohir bin Mandar, were tasked with infiltrating Singapore during the confrontation with newly independent Malaysia in the 1960s. (dvi)

4) W. Papua legislators found  guilty of graft
Nethy Dharma Somba, The Jakarta Post, Jayapura | Archipelago | Tue, February 11 2014, 10:34 AM

The Jayapura Corruption Court sentenced on Monday former West Papua Legislative Council (DPRD) speaker Yosef Yohan Auri to 15 months in jail and fined him Rp 50 million (US$4,100) for misappropriating Rp 22 billion that initially came from the West Papua provincial budget in 2010.

The funds had been allocated to provincial-owned enterprise PT Padoma Doberai Mandiri (PT Padoma) as capital.

Judge Khairul Fuad, who is also head of the Jayapura District Court, presided over the trial, in which all 44 members of the West Papua DPRD had been implicated.

The verdict was similar to that handed to former West Papua DPRD deputy speaker Robert Melianus Nauw and former West Papua provincial secretary Marthen Luter Rumadas, while West Papua DPRD deputy speaker Jimmy Demianus Idjie and PT Padoma managing director Mamad Suhadi were sentenced to 12 months and fined Rp 50 million each.

The five defendants were proven guilty of violating the Corruption Law.

They received different sentences despite the fact that prosecutors earlier sought 18-month sentences and Rp 50 million fines for all of them. According to Khairul, they played different roles in the case.

“Three of the defendants were sentenced to 15 months because they initiated the crime, while the other two executed the plan hatched by the others,” said Khairul.

Their lawyer, Piet Ell, said he supported the rulings but would strive to get his clients released.

“This should be a civil case because it was a matter of loaning money. The money has been returned, so I believe my clients should be acquitted,” said Piet.

Yosef said he would appeal the sentence, adding that the state had not suffered losses as the borrowed money had been returned.

Prosecutor Frenkie Son said he would consider whether to appeal against the ruling.

In previous hearings, it was revealed that the Rp 22 billion was part of capital allocated to PT Padoma by the provincial administration for a program on natural resources management, development, trade and industry and services.

PT Padoma was established in 2009, with capital of Rp 100 billion injected by the provincial administration.

The 44 councilors allegedly borrowed Rp 22 billion from the company in September 2010 to pay for personal assets, such as houses and cars, as well as to cover personal expenses.

Law observer Gustav Kawer criticized the ruling, saying that sentences of slightly more than one year for graft was an indication that the “judicial mafia” had played a role in the court’s decision.

“Corruption cases are considered special and those involved should be punished harshly, but instead judges at the Jayapura Corruption Court handed down light sentences,” said Gustav.

No comments:

Post a Comment