Tuesday, February 11, 2014

1) Separatist flag raiser sentenced to three years

1) Separatist flag raiser sentenced to three years
2) TNI Searching for Missing Papuan Fishermen After PNG Soldiers Allegedly Burn Boat
3) DPR PAPUA : 15,000 FREEPORT WORKERS FACE LAYOFF
4) MIFEE PROJECT IMPLEMENTED, MARIND PEOPLE LIVE UNDER SERIOUS THREAT



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




1) Separatist flag raiser sentenced to three years

Tue, February 11 2014 23:28 | 250 Views
Biak, Papua (ANTARA News) - The district court of Biak, Papua sentenced Oktavianus Warnares, defendant in the separatist "Morning Star" flag raising case in Biak Timur, Papua, on May 1, 2013, to three years imprisonment, here on Tuesday.

Chief Judge Demon Sembiring stated, while reading the verdict, that the defendant was legitimately found guilty of violating Article 106 in conjunction with Criminal Code Article 110 in conjunction with Law Number 1 of 1951 as well as Article 55 of the Criminal Code.

Upon hearing the verdict, the defendant, flanked by lawyers Gustaf Kawer and Olga Hamadi, clarified that he would think about whether or not to appeal. 

Prosecutor Leni Silaban, meanwhile, noted that she will appeal the verdict.

Earlier Markus Sawian, a defendant on the same case, had been sentenced to two years in jail, while first defendant George Simyapen 2.6 years, second defendant Yosef Wamaer two years and Yosef Arwakom 1.8 years, in jail.

The dossier of defendant Johanis Boserem, meanwhile, had been returned to the prosecutor because the defendant was proven to be mentally disturbed.

In their consideration, the judges stated that their activities had threatened the existence of the Unitary State of Indonesia.

The judges meanwhile had ordered the eradication of pieces of evidence including a Morning Star flag, a revolver, a military costume, 39 bullets, self-made bomb and several others. (*)
Editor: Heru
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) TNI Searching for Missing Papuan Fishermen After PNG Soldiers Allegedly Burn Boat

Jayapura. The Indonesian Military (TNI) began a search on Tuesday for five missing fishermen off the coast of Papua after soldiers from neighboring Papua New Guinea allegedly torched their boat and ordered the men to swim to shore.
“Fifty personnel have been deployed for the rescue and they will be helped by the five fishermen who managed to rescue themselves,” Merauke Marine Security Unit commander Brig. Gen. Buyung Lalana told the Jakarta Globe on Tuesday.
“We do not involve the PNG soldiers because they are the ones who have caused these fishermen to go missing by setting their boat on fire and ordering them to swim across the sea.”
The details of the incident were still sketchy on Tuesday, but Indonesian officials in PNG said they were seeing clarification from government officials. The Indonesian embassy in Port Morsby has asked the government to assist in the search and rescue operation.
“The incident happened in the Western province, so we have asked an official explanation from the PNG government about how their soldiers treated our fishermen,” said Jahar Goeltom, the Indonesian consular official for Sandaun province. “We have asked PNG to help search for the missing fishermen because they could be stranded in PNG.”
According to preliminary reports, 10 Papuan fishermen decided to head to Kadawa, in neighboring PNG, to purchase sea cucumbers on Feb. 6. The men stopped by a TNI post in Torasi to have their travel documents checked. But when they neared Karu, PNG, the fishing boat was intercepted by three speed boats carrying soldiers from PNG.
The soldiers reportedly forced the fishermen to anchor at a small island at gunpoint. The soldiers then allegedly looted the boat, stealing fuel and cash before setting the vessel on fire.
The fishermen were told to swim back to Papua, a distance of several kilometers. Five fishermen made it to shore. The other five never made it.
The survivors reported the incident to officials at the TNI post in Torasi.
“We are still waiting for the official clarification from PNG government on why they treated our citizens that way,” Jahar said. ”It was an ultimate violation of the border meeting agreement and the international marine law.”
The incident prompted protests from Indonesian politicians. Deerd Tabuni, chairperson of the Papua House of Representatives, called the incident an inhumane act and a serious human rights violation.
‘We can classify the soldiers as armed robbers,’ Deerd said.
Papuan fishermen often traded in the area and have been known to carry proper documents, he said. If these fishermen were found in violation of PNG law they should have been processed under the requirements of the law.
“They could have followed the legal procedure and treated the fishermen in a humane way,” Deerd said. “We could have used a diplomatic method to resolve the matter.”
Foreign Affairs Minister Marty Natalegawa declined to comment on the issue on Tuesday.


3) DPR PAPUA : 15,000 FREEPORT WORKERS FACE LAYOFF


                           


                                                Freeport workers while hold the demonstration (Jubi)
Jayapura, 10/2 (Jubi) -  Up to 15,000 workers at Freeport are threatened with layoff as a result of a sharp increase in export tax, Papua House speaker Deerd Tabuni said.
The government began implementing  the 2009 mining law in January. Under the law, the tax for copper concentrate exports has been raised to 25 percent from 20 percent, and will gradually go up to a maximum 60 percent by the end of 2016.
Freeport said the new regulation will result in  a reduction of 40 per cent of production, making layoffs inevitable.
“Currently Freeport employs 31,000 people and about 15,000 of them are threatened with,” said chairman of the Papuan Legislative Council (DPRD) Tabuni on Monday (2/10).
He said that DPR Papua has urged  the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) to review and revise the law.
“Last Friday, I went to Freeport and found that two concentrate processing or raw mineral machines no longer operating. Trucks did not operate , even employees have stop working,”he said.
He added “This regulation does not benefit us. It will increase the number of people unemployed and decrease the revenue of Timika regency as well as Province of Papua, “he said.
Now, DPR Papua is collecting data to back up its proposal for a revision in the Mining Law, which is affecting so many people’s lives.
“Moreover, the public and employees from Sabang to Merauke are worried. We hope the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources will revise the regulation especially regarding the export tax,” Tabuni said. (Jubi / Arjuna/ Tina)
----------------------------------------------------------------
4) MIFEE PROJECT IMPLEMENTED, MARIND PEOPLE LIVE UNDER SERIOUS THREAT

                                                          Member of Customary Council of Anim Ha (Jubi)

Merauke, 2/9 (Jubi) – A Customary House leader said the Merauke Integrated Food and Energy Estate (MIFEE) program that has been implemented in the past few years by the central government has led to conflicts within Marind people.
“The MIFEE program does not benefit Marind’ people in Merauke regency. It has destroyed their resources that sustain their lives, such as sago, fish, turtles, cuscus, cassowary and kangaroo, ”Customary House leader Region V Ha-Anim, JP Kamarka told reporters on Saturday (2/8).
Besides threats to their livelihoods, their traditional customs and arts like traditional songs that used to ascertain the rights of land ownership, clan identity, kendara wood ( name of native wood), mandawu – dawu leaf ( name of native leaf) and mats leaf are also on the brink of extinction.
The  transmigration program has also contributed to the problems.
In the name of development, Naori, an origin name of tribal territory, has been divided into three areas Muram Sari, Kuper, and Kuprik.
The program also contributed to the extinction of Senam language, a  tribal language which is used in Salor village. Some sacred places of Marind have also disappeared.
Kamarka’s secretary John Wob urged the Indonesian government to terminate the MEFEE project and immediately restore Marind people’s rights to fully govern their land, resources and determine their own lives.
The project has benefitted other Indonesians and investors but is causing an ongoing disaster to native people.
“We, the Customary House will fight for our rights back. We will report to Indigenous Peoples Organizations ( IPOs) – United Nations for the eradication of racial discrimination and the protection of economic, social and cultural of native people,” he said. (Jubi / Frans L Kobun/Tina)

No comments:

Post a Comment