Thursday, January 15, 2015

1) Illegal miners removed from Tembagapura

2) Community Paniai Still Afraid Activity
3) Suspected Brimob killers  arrested

4) Police, military hunt armed  Papuan gang

1) Illegal miners removed  from Tembagapura
Nethy Dharma Somba, The Jakarta Post, Jayapura | Archipelago | Wed, January 14 2015, 9:12 PM -Papua Police chief Insp. Gen. Yotje Mende said a joint security team of National Police (Polri) and Indonesian Military (TNI) personnel had removed miners working in illegal gold mining operations along the Kabul river near Utikini village in Tembagapura, Mimika, Papua.

He said around 1,000 illegal miners had been removed from gold mining operations along the Kabul river basin area and sent back to their homes.
“As many as 51 security posts have been set up in illegal gold mining areas along the Kabul river basin so that they will not return. This is for the sake of their own safety because the areas are prone to landslides,” said Mende in Jayapura on Wednesday.
He went on to say that illegal gold miners in Utikini village had become an extortion target for armed civilian groups.
“The illegal gold miners were not aware that they had become financial sources for the armed civilian groups, which had regularly visited them and asked them to give money and food,” said Mende.
“This was why we decided to remove the illegal gold miners, hoping that this would cut the chain of money and food for the armed civilian groups in the area,” he went on.
Two Mobile Brigade personnel from South Sumatra – Second Brig. Ryan Hariansah, 22, and First Brig. Muhammad Andriadi, 22 – were killed in an armed attack allegedly perpetrated by the armed civilian group led by Ayub Waker in Utikini village, Tembagapura, on Jan. 1. A Freeport Indonesia security officer, Suko Miartono, 33, was also killed in the incident. (ebf)(+++
A google translate of article in Be-aware google translate can be a bit erratic.
Original bahasa link at

2) Community Paniai Still Afraid Activity
By: Stephen Yogi | Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 14:22 pm | Viewed: 71 times

Mama-mama were digging a grave for victims of the shooting (Photo: Ist)

Paniai, --- After the tragic events that happened a month ago, people in Paniai until today still fear the move. Society no longer perform activities freely as usual.
Not only when looking for wood or hunting in the woods, residents also not every day to the garden or to the lake to catch fish.

"Still traumatized by the shooting last month, so if we go to the garden, we have to make sure the conditions around, safe or not," she said Hana, residents Enarotali, Paniai, Thursday (01/15/2015).
Mr. Joel also claimed recent weeks to the forest as before.
"Firewood for kitchen purposes, bought in Aikai. Likewise Christmas time, I did not find in the forest because the situation is not safe, "said the father of six children.
The shooting in the field Karel Gobai, Enarotali, Paniai, Monday (12/08/2014) and then, apparently not disappear from memory resident. Besides going on during the day and in the open which was witnessed by many people, the victims fell down like on the battlefield.
It received a response from one of the young intellectuals in Paniai, Tinus Pigai.
He said, during the brutal shooter has not been arrested and prosecuted, the public will continue to feel afraid of doing any activity.
"Looks silent not because of anything, but because the shooter has not been arrested and prosecuted. This is what makes people afraid to perform usual activities, "said Tinus.
He considered reasonable situation experienced by residents. "Because people see that kind of apparatus tiger ready to pounce at any time," he said.
According to him, the public until now fear is excessive because the first time, something like this happened in front of their eyes.
"Since the reform era until now, people in Paniai never see even feel unfortunate event like this, so this is what makes people so afraid."
"Then when compared with all the events that never happened before, only this time the most brutal and inhumane," said Tinus.
He pointed to the evidence that the condition of local government and central government officials are not able to protect people from fear pascapenembakan Karel Field Gobai Enarotali, Monday (12/08/2014) ago.
"It's been a month passed, but can not guarantee security, it's how ?," he asked.
In public places such as New Market, Old Market, or the Port and Harbour Aikai New Way, he said, was not as busy as before. "All quiet. This is evidence that the apparatus is not there to protect the public, "he said again.
Nevertheless, he hoped, security conditions must be stable again as usual. Besides tu, Human Rights Violations Investigation Team in Paniai that has formed in Jakarta (01/07/2015), immediately came to the crime scene (scene) to investigate who the gunman who killed several children students.
"We Paniai people waiting team of National Human Rights Commission of Jakarta. This team should be able to uncover and do not be afraid indicate who the real perpetrators after after an investigation. Because, with so society Paniai first families of the victims will be satisfied, "said Tinus Pigai.
The results of the investigation until the legal proceedings against the perpetrators, is expected to reduce the fear, also the activities of people can walk normally. "And, most importantly, the perpetrators should be punished," he said.
Editor: Mary
Stephen YOGI

3) Suspected Brimob killers  arrested
Nethy Dharma Somba, The Jakarta Post, Jayapura | Archipelago | Thu, January 15 2015, 10:13 AM -
The police in Papua have arrested two civilians suspected of murdering two personnel from the South Sumatra Police’s Mobile Brigade (Brimob) in Utikini village, Tembagapura, Mimika, Papua.
The two are also suspected of stealing weapons in the village on Jan. 1. They were identified only by the initials JW and MW.

“Both have been named suspects and are currently under intensive investigation,” Papua Police chief Insp. Gen. Yotje Mende said in Jayapura on Wednesday.

Yotje said they had been named suspects after a series of investigative processes.

JW admitted having participated in the attack on the two murdered Brimob personnel. While, MW was caught red-handed carrying a bayonet covered in blood a moment after the Brimob personnel were found dead.

MW was sent for medical treatment in Jakarta because of injuries received during his arrest, while JW was treated at Tembagapura Hospital for gunshot wounds incurred during crossfire between an armed civilian group and the police-military joint team on Jan. 7.

The crossfire took place in a fight between the joint team and the civilian armed group under the leadership of Ayub Waker, who is suspected of being behind the killing the two Brimob personnel and a PT Freeport Indonesia security guard.

The two Brimob personnel killed in Utikini were First Brig. Ryan Hariansah. 22, and First Brig. Muhammad Andriadi, 22. The Freeport security guard was Suko Miartono, 33.

The guns of both the murdered Brimob men went missing in the killing and are believed to have been taken by the murderers.

The same joint team also raided an illegal gold mining area along the banks of Kabur River, between Camp David and Utikini village.

They evicted some 1,000 illegal miners from the area and sent them home. They also built 51 security posts along the area.

“We built the posts to prevent illegal miners from returning,” said Yotje, adding that the authorities were concerned about security, as well as the safety of the miners as the area was prone to landslides.

The unauthorized miners, according to Yotje, had also been targeted for extortion by civilian armed groups, making them a source of funds for these groups. “We dispersed the miners as a way of cutting off funds and food supplies used by the civilian armed groups,” Yotje said.

In relation to another deadly shooting, National Police Headquarters has set up a fact-finding team to investigate a shooting in Enarotali, Papua, during which four civilians were killed and dozens of others injured on Dec. 8. The four were named as Yulian Yeimo, Simon Degei, Alpius Gobay and Alpius Youw. The fact-finding team was set up under the orders of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who during a Christmas visit to the province instructed the police to carry out a thorough investigation of the case.

Yotje said his side had encountered difficulties investigating the case, especially in getting information from witnesses.

So far nobody has been named a suspect in the case.

Head of Paniai Customary Council, John Gobay, said that local people had lost trust in law enforcement.

“They feel it is useless to say anything about the incident, because they saw for themselves what happened. They are angry and hurt,” John said.

The incident occurred when local people launched an attack on the local military office following the removal of logs put in the road to stop traffic into the town.
  • One suspect admits involvement in deadly incident
  • Hunt for Ayub Waker’s armed group continues
  • Police evict illegal miners used to fund armed group
- See more at:

4) Police, military hunt armed  Papuan gang
The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Archipelago | Thu, January 15 2015, 7:40 PM - 
The Indonesian Military (TNI) and Papua Police are jointly searching for an armed gang believed to be responsible for the shooting death of two members of the police's Mobile Brigade (Brimob) at the mining site of PT Freeport Indonesia in Tembagapura, Timika, Papua, on Jan. 1, 2015.
Deputy chief of the Timika Police, Comr. Wirasto Adi Nugroho, said in Timika on Thursday that a great number of police and military personnel had been deployed to hunt down the gang, which has several times disturbed security and public order in the regency. He also pledged to improve security.
Both the police and the local military have boosted security at the mine after receiving information that the gang would launch assaults on security personnel between the Grasberg mine and the Amapare seaport.
“The police and the military are prepared to face the Ayub Waker-led armed gang [...] the police leadership has ordered us to intensify patrol at the mining site,” he said as quoted by Antara news agency.

The police have arrested two people identified as MW and JW in connection with the incident, which in addition to the deaths of the two Brimob members, also claimed a company employee. (***)(+++)

No comments:

Post a Comment