2) Ministry to improve four key aspects to fix Papua maternal death
------------------------------------------
A google translate.
Original Bahasa link
1) Amnesty International urges investigation into the drone attack in Yahukimo
November 27, 2025 in Press Releases Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Author: Jubi Admin - Editor: Arjuna Pademme
Jayapura, Jubi – Amnesty International Indonesia is urging a thorough investigation into the drone attack in Dekai City, the capital of Yahukimo Regency, Papua Mountains.
Amnesty International Indonesia's Executive Director, Usman Hamid, stated that his organization condemns the attack, which killed one civilian and injured another, on Tuesday evening (November 25, 2025).
"We strongly condemn the cruelty of the drone attack that killed one civilian and injured another in Yahukimo. This incident shows that residents continue to be victims of the escalating conflict in Papua between security forces and armed groups without serious efforts to protect the community," Usaman Hamid said in a written press release on Thursday evening (November 27, 2025).
He stated that the drone attack, which resulted in the death of civilians, violates international law. Furthermore, news reports indicate that the drone attack destroyed a house in Dekai City.
"Indonesian authorities are obliged to comply with their obligations under international law, which require all parties to armed conflict to distinguish between civilians and combatants, and to refrain from carrying out indiscriminate attacks targeting civilians," he said.
Amnesty International also called on Indonesian authorities, including the police, to conduct a prompt, independent, impartial, and effective investigation into this deadly drone attack.
Amnesty International is urging all parties to immediately form a joint fact-finding team to investigate this bloody incident. The police must also immediately reveal to the public who owned the drone.
"We also urge the National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) and other independent institutions to actively conduct an open and impartial investigation to ensure justice for the victims' families," he said.
He stated that regardless of the perpetrators, whether state or non-state actors, the case must be tried through a general court as stipulated in the Criminal Code.
This step is considered crucial to ensure the principle of equality before the law and to avoid impunity, which has often been the pattern when security forces commit violence in Papua.
Previously, a drone strike killed one civilian and injured another on Jalan Gunung, Dekai City, Yahukimo Regency.
The drone strike hit a civilian's house in Dekai City and killed a student at SMK Negeri 2 Dekai who was sleeping at the time of the attack.
The deceased victim was identified as Listin Atin Sam, also known as Bulmak Sam (17), and the injured victim was Yondinus Dapla, who was sleeping in the same room at the time of the incident. (*)
--------------------------------------
2) Ministry to improve four key aspects to fix Papua maternal death
November 28, 2025 00:36 GMT+700
Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Ministry of Health identified four key factors behind the death of Irene Sokoy and her unborn baby in Papua, and pledged immediate steps to prevent similar incidents.
The Ministry's Director General of Advanced Health, Azhar Jaya, said on Thursday that the issues involved a shortage of specialist doctors, suboptimal maintenance of medical facilities and infrastructure, non-compliance with standard procedures, and weaknesses in the referral system.
Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin confirmed that shortages of specialists, including obstetricians, gynecologists, and anesthesiologists, remain common outside Java.
To address this, the ministry is developing a hospital-based education system and encouraging local youth to pursue specialist training to improve healthcare access and expand employment opportunities.
Sadikin emphasized the need to strengthen hospital governance, especially in regional hospitals. He added that the ministry continues to work with regional heads, mayors, and governors to improve the management of health facilities.
He said the ministry has tasked Dr. Sardjito General Hospital with assisting Papua Province in improving hospital governance and management. This includes renovating several operating rooms while keeping others functional to ensure uninterrupted services.
The minister also underlined the importance of proper data collection to build a better referral system.
His office is coordinating with health agency leaders to enhance supervision and guidance, including the imposition of sanctions on hospitals that violate the Health Law.
He noted that the new Health Law clearly states penalties for hospital leaders who fail to provide emergency care. Patients must be treated, and the National Health Insurer BPJS will cover the cost.
The ministry will monitor the results of the ongoing investigation and return to Papua in three months to evaluate improvements in the province's health services.
Before the incident, Irene Sokoy had undergone antenatal care at a community health center and had been examined by an obstetrician-gynecologist.
On November 16, she went into labor and went to Yowari Hospital, but no ob-gyn was available to perform a cesarean section.
She was referred to Dian Harapan Hospital, which had no anesthesiologist and a full NICU. She was then transferred to Abepura Hospital, where surgery was not possible because all four operating rooms were under renovation.
Irene was subsequently moved to Bhayangkara Hospital, which had both ob-gyns and anesthesiologists, but did not provide third-class inpatient services.
She was later advised to seek treatment at a private hospital, where she was asked to pay around Rp3–4 million (US$174–232). Due to financial constraints, she was transferred again.
During the transfer, she suffered a seizure and was rushed back to Bhayangkara Hospital. Despite efforts to save her, she did not survive. Irene and her unborn baby died on November 17 at around 05:00 local time.
Related news: RI Govt probes death of pregnant woman allegedly denied care in Papua
The Ministry's Director General of Advanced Health, Azhar Jaya, said on Thursday that the issues involved a shortage of specialist doctors, suboptimal maintenance of medical facilities and infrastructure, non-compliance with standard procedures, and weaknesses in the referral system.
Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin confirmed that shortages of specialists, including obstetricians, gynecologists, and anesthesiologists, remain common outside Java.
To address this, the ministry is developing a hospital-based education system and encouraging local youth to pursue specialist training to improve healthcare access and expand employment opportunities.
Sadikin emphasized the need to strengthen hospital governance, especially in regional hospitals. He added that the ministry continues to work with regional heads, mayors, and governors to improve the management of health facilities.
He said the ministry has tasked Dr. Sardjito General Hospital with assisting Papua Province in improving hospital governance and management. This includes renovating several operating rooms while keeping others functional to ensure uninterrupted services.
The minister also underlined the importance of proper data collection to build a better referral system.
His office is coordinating with health agency leaders to enhance supervision and guidance, including the imposition of sanctions on hospitals that violate the Health Law.
He noted that the new Health Law clearly states penalties for hospital leaders who fail to provide emergency care. Patients must be treated, and the National Health Insurer BPJS will cover the cost.
The ministry will monitor the results of the ongoing investigation and return to Papua in three months to evaluate improvements in the province's health services.
Before the incident, Irene Sokoy had undergone antenatal care at a community health center and had been examined by an obstetrician-gynecologist.
On November 16, she went into labor and went to Yowari Hospital, but no ob-gyn was available to perform a cesarean section.
She was referred to Dian Harapan Hospital, which had no anesthesiologist and a full NICU. She was then transferred to Abepura Hospital, where surgery was not possible because all four operating rooms were under renovation.
Irene was subsequently moved to Bhayangkara Hospital, which had both ob-gyns and anesthesiologists, but did not provide third-class inpatient services.
She was later advised to seek treatment at a private hospital, where she was asked to pay around Rp3–4 million (US$174–232). Due to financial constraints, she was transferred again.
During the transfer, she suffered a seizure and was rushed back to Bhayangkara Hospital. Despite efforts to save her, she did not survive. Irene and her unborn baby died on November 17 at around 05:00 local time.
Related news: RI Govt probes death of pregnant woman allegedly denied care in Papua
Translator: Resinta Sulistiyandari
Editor: Primayanti
----------------------------
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.