1) West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) in Yahukimo Claims Eight Suspected Security Officers Killed in Operation
2) Indonesia says eight miners killed by Papua rebels
4) Child Shot During Military Operation in Puncak Dies After Weeks of Treatment
5) Security forces shoot Papuan high school student in Dogiyai Regency
6) Three police officers torture Papuan villager during custody at Demta Police Station
---------------------------------------------
https://jubi.id/pacnews/2026/west-papua-national-liberation-army-tpnpb-in-yahukimo-claims-eight-suspected-security-officers-killed-in-operation/
1) West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) in Yahukimo Claims Eight Suspected Security Officers Killed in Operation
IN PACNEWS READING TIME: 1 MIN READ MAY 21, 2026 0 Author : Arjuna Pademme Editor : Nuevaterra Mambor
Jayapura, Jubi – The West Papua National Liberation Army Regional Command XVI Yahukimo, or TPNPB Kodap XVI Yahukimo, has claimed responsibility for killing eight people it alleged were security personnel disguised as illegal gold miners in Korowai.
The two TPNPB members were identified as Marten Heluka and Yoper Payage. Both were killed during a firefight with Indonesian security forces in Dekai, the capital of Yahukimo Regency in Papua Highlands, on Sunday (17/5/2026).
Following the incident, Major Kopitua Heluka, together with TPNPB troops from Battalion Yamue led by Battalion Operations Commander Kumis Passe and Major Dejang Heluka, launched what they described as a “sweeping operation” in the Yahukimo area.
The operation, according to the group, was conducted as retaliation for the deaths of the two Battalion Yamue members.
“TPNPB forces carried out operations from 17 May 2026 to 20 May 2026. As a result, [we] shot dead eight people [whom we suspected were] TNI-Polri personnel disguised as illegal gold miners,” Kopitua Heluka said in a press release issued by the TPNPB National Commission on Wednesday night (20/5/2026).
He said Battalion Yamue Operations Commander Dejang Heluka and his troops were responsible for carrying out the retaliatory operation.
——————————————————————————————————
Dekai, Jubi – The Yahukimo Police in Papua Highlands released Kone Kobak, the International Diplomacy Chair of the West Papua National Committee, or KNPB, for the Yahukimo region, on Wednesday (20/5/2026).
Kone Kobak was arrested by a joint team consisting of Marines, Brimob personnel, and police officers at his home in the Kali Merah area of Dekai, the capital of Yahukimo Regency, on Tuesday (19/5/2026).
Police released Kone Kobak after coordinating with KNPB Yahukimo officials. He had undergone questioning by investigators from the Yahukimo Police criminal investigation unit and was found not to have committed any offense.
“To all parties in the international community and across Papua, today, 20 May 2026, we welcome the release of Kone Kobak, Chair of Diplomacy for KNPB Yahukimo Region. We express our gratitude for all the support and prayers that have been answered,” said Nifal Enggalim, Chair of KNPB Yahukimo Region, to Jubi at the KNPB Yahukimo Secretariat on Wednesday (20/5/2026).
Nifal Enggalim said that prior to the arrest, Kone Kobak and other KNPB activists had been at the KNPB Yahukimo Secretariat. Brimob and Marine personnel allegedly came to the KNPB office and verbally intimidated them.
Several hours later, Kone Kobak returned home, where he was arrested by security personnel. He was taken to Yahukimo Police headquarters and allegedly subjected to abuse before being released.
According to Enggalim, Kone Kobak was freed after questioning showed he was not involved in acts of violence in the Yahukimo area.
“Our struggle as KNPB across the homeland is a nonviolent struggle. It is a peaceful and dignified resistance that prioritizes humanitarian values. Therefore, we believe and state that what the police conveyed is not true,” he said.
He added that the arrest of activists advocating for human rights and democracy in Yahukimo had undermined Indonesian law and expressed hope that similar incidents would not happen again.
“KNPB Yahukimo Region will carry out peaceful resistance in the coming days. Peaceful resistance will continue because the red cloth has been raised on the asphalt [a reference to the KNPB flag], which means we will continue taking to the streets,” he said.
Meanwhile, Kone Kobak said he was arrested at his home.
“The Damai Cartenz Task Force team that has been patrolling Yahukimo entered [the house]. After entering, they conducted a search, and the result was that there was no suspicious evidence,” Kone Kobak said.
He said that when security personnel entered his home, he was ordered to raise his hands. However, Kobak said he was not worried because he felt innocent and did not resist.
After being arrested, Kone Kobak said he was taken to Yahukimo Police headquarters. Upon arrival, he was brought into an interrogation room.
“I was hit once on the cheek, then on my right ear. My hands were handcuffed, and one of my legs was tied. It did not stop there — I was hit four more times. My cheek and left eye still hurt, and my left eye was bleeding, but they cleaned it quickly. I was released today at 2:00 p.m. Papua time, Wednesday, 20 May 2026,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Yahukimo Police Chief had not provided any statement despite Jubi’s attempts to seek confirmation regarding the arrest and detention of the KNPB member. He said he was resting. (*)
Jayapura, Papua — Aliko Walia, an 8-year-old boy who was shot during a military operation in Tenoti Village, Kembru District, Puncak Regency, on 14 April 2026, died at RSUD Mulia in Puncak Jaya Regency on Tuesday (19 May 2026).
Aliko Walia, who suffered a gunshot wound to the right side of his chest, died after undergoing medical treatment for 36 days at RSUD Mulia.
Kembru District Head Selpi Tabuni said Aliko Walia was shot during the incident alongside his mother, Wundilina Tabuni, 40, who died at the scene.
According to Selpi Tabuni, the bullet entered and exited through the right side of Aliko’s chest, leaving a wound “the size of a half-inch pipe.”
“At that time, Aliko ran in fear after his mother was shot and later met his father. He was then taken to RSUD Mulia for treatment,” Selpi Tabuni told Jubi by phone on Wednesday (20 May 2026).
She said hospital staff had worked to provide the best possible medical care during the 36 days Aliko was treated.
“But yesterday [Tuesday, 19 May 2026] at 12:07 p.m. Papua time, Aliko was declared to have breathed his last and died at Mulia Hospital,” she said.
“Aliko was cremated according to Lani tradition at around 5:25 p.m. in Kulogonggame, Mulia. God had helped him survive long enough to receive treatment at the hospital. But how strong could a small child be in enduring the pain of a bullet piercing his chest,” she said.
She added that there had been plans to refer Aliko to a hospital in Nabire, but his condition deteriorated before the transfer could take place.
Meanwhile, RSUD Mulia Director Miftakhul Huda said Aliko had received intensive medical treatment at the hospital.
Medical procedures included the insertion of a chest tube on the right side due to fluid and air accumulation in the chest cavity. X-ray examinations showed that wounds on the right chest wall and back had been cleaned and stitched.
“After treatment and evaluation through thoracic X-rays, there were signs of clinical improvement and supporting examinations also showed progress. The patient continued receiving postoperative wound care in the ward,” Miftakhul Huda said in a written statement to Jubi.
He said the child had shown signs of recovery during treatment and was able to sit up and eat independently.
However, Aliko began experiencing breathing difficulties again two days before his death, likely caused by an infection in the wound on the right chest wall.
Further X-rays showed renewed accumulation of fluid and air in the right chest cavity. Doctors had planned to refer him to another hospital once his condition improved.
“However, the patient’s condition worsened, and the final examination showed the infection had become systemic,” Miftakhul Huda said.
“The patient was declared dead by the attending doctor on 19 May 2026 at 12:07 p.m. Papua time.” (*)
https://humanrightsmonitor.org/case/security-forces-shoot-high-school-student-in-dogiyai-regency/
5) Security forces shoot Papuan high school student in Dogiyai Regency
According to testimonies compiled by the Papuan People’s Solidarity (SRP) Dogiyai, members of the Damai Cartenz Police Task Force conducted preliminary surveillance in the area on 9 May 2026 using several police vehicles. The following morning, at approximately 09.00 am, joint security personnel returned to Dogimani and Idadagi villages in seven vehicles whilst most residents were attending church services.Witnesses reported that officers began firing live rounds and tear gas towards the sports field and surrounding tents, which had been set-up by youths participating in a local football and volleyball fundraising tournament. Other youths reportedly fled in panic after hearing gunfire. Mr Nopison Tebai reportedly attempted to escape before being shot in the chest. The bullet exited through his back, killing him instantly at the scene. Security personnel later withdrew to the Dogiyai Police Headquarters at around 10.00 am. After the situation had calmed down, community members and youths searched the area and discovered Mr Nipson Tebai’s body near the edge of the football pitch.Following the shooting, tensions escalated in Dogiyai District. Witnesses stated that security forces resumed patrols along the Trans-Papua road, triggering clashes between local youths and security personnel. Reports indicated that at least one vehicle belonging to the state electricity company PLN and another civilian passenger vehicle sustained damage during the civil unrest.Local residents and SRP Dogiyai disputed official police claims that the victim was affiliated with the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB). Community representatives, teachers, and school records confirmed that Nopison Tebai was an active Year 11 Social Sciences student at SMAN 2 Dogiyai. A preliminary SRP investigation into the incident documented several pieces of evidence allegedly recovered from the scene, including photographs of the victim’s body, spent 5.56 mm ammunition casings, tear gas canisters marked “37/38mm 3 Cluster CS”, and a knife reportedly left behind near the Dogiyai District Office.Meanwhile, Indonesian police authorities publicly stated that joint security forces had “neutralised” a TPNPB member following reports of attacks against vehicles passing the Dogiyai–Paniai connecting road. Police claimed officers encountered armed resistance during operations and subsequently returned fire. Witnesses consistently rejected these allegations. The conflicting narratives regarding the incident remain unresolved.The incident demonstrates broader concerns regarding the militarisation of civilian spaces in the Central Papua Province and recurring allegations of excessive use of force during security operations in indigenous Papuan communities. On 31 March and 1 April 2026, joint security forces allegedly carried out indiscriminate shootings against civilians in the Kamu District of Dogiyai Regency, Central Papua Province.
Human rights analysis
The reported conduct of the security forces raises serious concerns under international human rights law, particularly regarding the right to life protected under Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), to which Indonesia is a State Party. The use of lethal force against an apparently unarmed civilian in a non-combat setting may constitute an arbitrary deprivation of life if the force used was neither strictly necessary nor proportionate. The reported use of live ammunition and tear gas in a civilian residential and recreational area further raises concerns regarding compliance with the UN Basic Principles on the Use of Force and Firearms by Law Enforcement Officials
Community members and youths discovered and evacuated Mr Nipson Tebai’s body in the gras near the edge of the sports field, 10 May 2026
Detailed Case Data
Document ID: HRM-CAS-067-2026
# Number of Victims Name, Details Gender Age Group Affiliation Violations 1. 0
diverse unknown
Document ID: HRM-CAS-067-2026
| # | Number of Victims | Name, Details | Gender | Age | Group Affiliation | Violations |
| 1. | 0 | diverse | unknown |
--------------------------------------------------
https://humanrightsmonitor.org/case/three-police-officers-torture-papuan-villager-during-custody-at-demta-police-station/
6) Three police officers torture Papuan villager during custody at Demta Police Station
Human rights analysis
Mr Burame shows the injuries which he sustained as a result of torture during police custody at the Demta Sub-District Police station (Polsek) on 4 May 2026
Document ID: HRM-CAS-068-2026
Region: Indonesia > Papua > Jayapura Regency > Demta
Total number of victims: 1
| # | Number of Victims | Name, Details | Gender | Age | Group Affiliation | Violations |
| 1. | 1 | Agustinus Burame | diverse | 30 estimated | Indigenous Peoples | torture |
Perpetrator: Republic Indonesia > Indonesian Security Forces > Indonesian Police > POLSEK
Issues: indigenous peoples, security force violence
7) Military court hears medical testimony confirming permanent injuries in ccid attack against KontraS Activist Andrie Yunus
On May 17, a bomb exploded in the courtyard of St. Paul's Catholic Church in the village of Mbamogo, in the Intan Jaya regency of Central Papua province after Sunday Mass. Four civilians (all indigenous Papuan Catholics) were injured in the explosion. Numerous worshippers were in the churchyard at the time of the explosion. According to several eyewitnesses, the explosive device was detonated by a drone. Hundreds of civilians fled into the forests, exacerbating tensions in the region. The Indonesian military (TNI) has denied any involvement, calling it a possible "provocation" intended to sow chaos and increase tensions between the military and the population. The Central Papua police have launched an investigation to determine the circumstances and those responsible.
“The ongoing conflict has robbed the Papuan people of their sense of security, their future, and their right to life,” he adds. “Papuan children and women are the face of humanity; they are a wounded image of God himself, who should live and grow up in a peaceful environment, receive a proper education, and live without the shadow of violence and the noise of weapons.”
Currently, a low- to medium-intensity conflict is raging in the Indonesian province of Papua (also known as Itia Jaya), concentrated mainly in the region’s central highlands. Indonesian military operations have intensified in recent years, causing massive population displacement: since the beginning of 2026 alone, over 105,000 internally displaced persons have been registered, mostly indigenous Papuans fleeing into the forests. The local population accuses the military of killing civilians, burning villages, attacking churches and schools, and severely violating human rights. The military denies this, claiming to be fighting only armed separatists.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.