Saturday, August 22, 2026

1) The Cendrawasih Student Board says it has evidence police fired at protesters


2) Korowai refugees in need of food and healthcare
3) Papua Culture Agency to review performance of WWII heritage site custodians



-------------------------------------------------------



1) The Cendrawasih Student Board says it has evidence police fired at protesters

News Desk August 22, 2026

Jayapura, Jubi – The Executive Student Council of Cenderawasih University (BEM Uncen) says it has evidence that police fired at protesters during clashes between security personnel and students at a demonstration against the New York Agreement in Perumnas III Waena, Heram district, Jayapura, Papua, on Saturday (15/08/2026).

BEM Uncen Minister for Law and Human Rights Darki Uropmabin said Jayapura City Police had denied that officers fired at protesters during the dispersal of the demonstration the day after the incident.

According to Uropmabin, police said the crowd had been dispersed using only tear gas and water cannons.


“We saw for ourselves that police did fire at the protesters. BEM Uncen rejects Jayapura City Police’s claim that the BEM Uncen vice president was not shot. That is completely untrue. We have hospital records, and there is physical evidence of a gunshot wound,” Uropmabin said at a press conference at the Papua Legal Aid Institute (LBH Papua) office in Abepura district, Jayapura, on Friday (21/08/2026). 

BEM Uncen called on Jayapura City Police to take responsibility for the incident and urged that those responsible be held legally accountable under Article 351 of the Indonesian Criminal Code concerning assault, as well as applicable police disciplinary regulations.

BEM Uncen also called on the Papua Police to evaluate the performance of Jayapura City Police and police departments across Papua.

“BEM Uncen will wait for the next few days. If the police do not take responsibility, BEM Uncen will mobilise students and demand answers from the Papua Police and Jayapura City Police,” he said.

Meanwhile, LBH Papua representative Emanuel Gobay questioned who was responsible for triggering the violence.

“The students who held the peaceful demonstration had attempted to negotiate with security personnel four times. One of the student leaders even agreed to serve as a guarantor for the demonstration,” Gobay said.

He referred to the peaceful demonstration held by the West Papua National Committee (KNPB) on August 3, 2026, which coincided with a counter-rally organised by the Barisan Merah Putih.

Gobay said that under Indonesian law, police are responsible for managing demonstrations once they have received prior notification.

He questioned whether the Barisan Merah Putih had submitted a notification to police about its planned demonstration at the time.

Gobay said that if police had received such notification, they had the authority to regulate the timing and conduct of the demonstrations. For example, if the KNPB rally began at 8 a.m. Papua Time, it could have been permitted to continue until noon.

The KNPB protesters could then have been instructed to disperse before the Barisan Merah Putih held its demonstration from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

“That would be fair. But both sides were allowed to take to the streets. So who actually caused the unrest? Who had the authority and had submitted the notification? The police, under the law. Let’s just do this professionally. The information and authority are all in the hands of the police,” he said. (*)


————————————————————————————
A google translate

2) Korowai refugees in need of food and healthcare
 109 August 22, 2026 in Politics, Law, and Security, Lapago Reading Time: 3 mins 
Author: Jubi Admin - Editor: Arjuna Pademme

Jayapura, Jubi – The Department of Law and Human Rights (HAM) of the Evangelical Church in Indonesia (GIDI) reports that Korowai refugees in Yahukimo Regency, Papua Highlands Province, who have become internally displaced in various regions, are now in need of food and healthcare.
The Head of the GIDI Department of Law and Human Rights, Rev. Jimmy Koirewoa, S.Th, stated that residents in the Korowai region fled to areas deemed safe after the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) reportedly conducted military operations in the region by air and land.

"During the escape and journey to safety, residents reportedly experienced various difficulties, including illness and limited access to food, healthcare, and other basic necessities," said Rev. Jimmy Koirewoa, S.Th in a written message on Saturday (August 22, 2026).

He said that based on information received by the GIDI Department of Law and Human Rights from various parties in the field, the operation has caused civilians to be displaced. Some have fled to the forest to save themselves.

According to him, some residents are still being searched for. Others are being collected by tribal chiefs, church officials, and humanitarian activists.

"Initial information we received indicates that there are civilians who need special attention and protection, including nine pregnant women and several children aged 5, 9, 12, and 15," he said.

He said the affected residents come from several areas, including the Bintang Mountains, Yahukimo in Papua Mountains Province and Asmat, Boven Digoel, and Mappi in South Papua Province.

In addition, the GIDI Department of Law and Human Rights also received information that three people died in the evacuation site.
"One victim's body has been evacuated to the Boven Digoel area. We are still verifying information regarding the number of victims and the condition of these residents through church networks, tribal chiefs, activists, and parties on the ground," said Rev. Jimmy Koirewoa.

The GIDI Department of Law and Human Rights assesses that this situation indicates that civilians are in a highly vulnerable condition.

Therefore, the GIDI Department of Law and Human Rights calls on the state to ensure serious protection for civilians affected by the conflict, particularly in the Korowai, Dekai, Jalan Gunung City, and Suru-Suru areas, as well as other areas in Yahukimo Regency.

The GIDI Department of Law and Human Rights also issued several demands and appeals, including urging the state to halt military operations in residential areas and areas that could potentially endanger civilians.

Urge the government to ensure the safety and protection of civilians, especially pregnant women, children, the elderly, the sick, and vulnerable groups.

Urge the Yahukimo Regency Government, through relevant agencies, to immediately intervene and directly address the conditions of affected civilians in Korowai, Dekai, Jalan Gunung City, Suru-Suru, and other areas.

Request the government immediately open independent humanitarian access so that food, medicine, health services, shelter, and other basic necessities can reach affected communities.

Urge the National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) and independent institutions to conduct searches for residents who are still separated or in the forest, prioritizing safety and humanity and involving tribal leaders, churches, and local community elements.

Request all parties involved in the conflict to respect the principles of international humanitarian law and human rights law for the protection of civilians.

The GIDI Department of Law and Human Rights emphasizes that civilians must not become victims and must not lose access to basic needs due to armed conflict.

The state has a responsibility to ensure the safety of the people and ensure that humanitarian aid reaches those in need.

"We also call on churches, humanitarian organizations, local governments, the central government, civil society, and the national and international community to pay serious attention to the condition of civilians in Papua, especially those affected in the Yahukimo and Korowai regions," said Rev. Jimmy Koirewoa.

Previously, residents of Korowai, Yahukimo Regency, Papua Mountains Province, were reported to have fled to the forest since July 22, 2026. These displaced residents are located in the border area of ​​Yahukimo Regency, Pegunungan Bintang, and Boven Digoel in South Papua Province.

At the time, a Jubi source stated that the confirmed displaced residents currently consist of 26 women and one child. They are located in a location within the forest.

However, according to the source, the number of displaced persons could be much higher, as many locations designated as evacuation sites have not yet been confirmed due to their location in the vast forest.

Additionally, there are rivers that are difficult to navigate, and there is no internet or telephone network for communication. (*)

———————————————————————————

3) Papua Culture Agency to review performance of WWII heritage site custodians
News Desk August 22, 2026

Jayapura, Jubi – The Papua Provincial Culture and Tourism Agency will review the performance of custodians responsible for World War II heritage sites across several areas, citing concerns that some have not been adequately carrying out their duties.

Papua Culture and Tourism Agency head Yimin Weya said some historical artefacts were suspected of having been sold, while several World War II heritage sites had also fallen into disrepair.

He said the provincial government had been paying local residents to guard and maintain several of the sites, but some custodians had failed to properly carry out their responsibilities.

“We have provided stipends for people to guard the sites, but they have never submitted monthly accountability reports,” Weya told Jubi in Kotaraja, Abepura district, Jayapura, Papua, on Friday (August 21, 2026).

According to Weya, several sites that had been fenced off by the provincial government have once again become overgrown with grass and vegetation. Some locations, he said, had even begun to resemble forests.

“Without proper maintenance, the sites look as if you are entering a forest. That is the custodians’ responsibility,” he said.

The Culture and Tourism Agency will therefore evaluate the site custodians. Those found not to be fulfilling their duties will be replaced with people who are willing and able to properly maintain the sites.

Weya said some custodians were recruited from communities living near the heritage sites. Involving local residents was also intended to prevent disputes over customary land rights.

He stressed that World War II heritage artefacts must not be sold, including the fuel tanks located in Depapre district, Jayapura regency. They must not be dismantled and sold to scrap metal collectors.

The artefacts are considered cultural heritage that must be protected and cannot be traded. They are also provincial government assets, even when located on customary land.

Weya said the provincial government has the authority to oversee, maintain and protect historical heritage sites located in Jayapura regency.

The government, he said, would take action if it found historical artefacts being sold without its knowledge.

The artefacts would have to be returned, and those responsible for selling them could be held accountable under applicable regulations.

“If something is sold without the province’s knowledge, we can report it to the relevant authorities. Those responsible will have to account for their actions, and the items must be returned,” he said.

Weya said the government had also taken steps to protect and repatriate historical artefacts from Papua that had been taken outside the region or overseas.

The efforts have focused particularly on artefacts associated with World War II and located within historical heritage sites.

He cited historical artefacts from Papua that had previously been taken to museums in Japan and the United States and were subsequently repatriated to Papua.

“World War II heritage items located at these sites must not be [sold],” Weya said.

Previously, Indigenous residents of Depapre village, Depapre district, Jayapura regency, urged the government to protect the remaining World War II-era fuel tanks in the area.

The tanks were part of a fuel infrastructure system built by Allied forces when they operated in the Depapre area during World War II.

Various sources estimate that between 23 and 29 fuel tanks were once built in the area. However, the number remaining has continued to decline.

Lukas Tunggrutouw, a custodian of the fuel tank site in Depapre, said he believed around 24 tanks were still visible in the past. Today, only an estimated 17 or 18 remain.

“There used to be around 24 tanks. Now there may only be about 17 or 18 left. Many have been cut up by residents and sold as scrap metal,” Tunggrutouw told Jubi at the fuel tank site in Depapre district on Friday (July 31, 2026).

According to Tunggrutouw, most of the tanks stand on customary land belonging to the Maribu Indigenous community.

He said the situation should be a concern for the government because the tanks are significant not only in terms of land ownership but also because they preserve an important part of Papua’s World War II history.

Tunggrutouw said Indigenous landowners in the area were no longer adequately involved in discussions about the management of the historical remains.

He urged the government not only to formally protect World War II heritage sites but also to ensure their proper maintenance and involve Indigenous communities as customary landowners in their management.

He said urgent action was needed because the number of remaining tanks continued to decline, with some already dismantled and sold as scrap metal. (*)


----------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.