Sunday, January 19, 2014

1) Mulia returns to normal after string of shootings


1) Mulia returns to normal  after string of shootings 
2) Two members of the Indonesia’s army reportedly injured in Puncak Jaya
3) 2 Years Sentence in Prison is Considered Unfair

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


1) Mulia returns to normal  after string of shootings 
Nethy Dharma Somba, The Jakarta Post, Jayapura | Archipelago | Sun, January 19 2014, 3:23 PM

The condition in Mulia, the seat of Puncak Jaya regency, Papua, remains stable despite shooting incidents and the theft of assault rifles from the the police by separatists.
"The situation in Mulia remains conducive while shootings have become routine for citizens,” Puncak Jaya Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Marselis said when contacted by The Jakarta Post from the provincial capital of Jayapura on Sunday.
“The assailants fled after firing the weapons.”
The last incident took place on Saturday at about 6 p.m. local time (4 p.m. Jakarta time) when an armed civilian group — a catchphrase for the separatist Free Papua Movement (OPM) — shot at the Pasar Lama post, which was manned by personnel from the 1714/Puncak Jaya Military District Command (Kodim), injuring two soldiers.
The soldiers were forced to retaliate.
Second Sgt. La Ode Amrin and chief Pvt. Ade Purnama Yuda were injured in the exchange of fire. Both soldiers were rushed to Mulia General Hospital and remained conscious, said the XVII/Cenderawasih Military Command chief spokesman Col. Lismer Siantar.
Marselis said Papua Police’s internal affairs directorate was handling the ambush and subsequent theft of eight assault rifles from the Kulirik police post.
“It is negligence so there will be punishment,” he said, commenting on the Jan. 5 incident. (nun)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Two members of the Indonesia’s army reportedly injured in Puncak Jaya


Jayapura 18/1 ( Jubi ) – Again, the shooting occurred in Puncak Jaya regency. Now, the shooting occurred in Kota Lama, Mulia, precisely at the Army Post . The shooting alleged committed by Civilian Armed groups that resulted in two members of the army personnel reportedly injured .
From the data gathered by tabloidjubi.com, shooting happened at the night, approximately at 18:50 (local time), on Saturday ( 18/1 ), precisely in the District Military Command, Post Kompas intelligence unit 1714/PJ Kota Lama, Mulia , Puncak Jaya regency. The shooting alleged committed by Civilian Armed groups resulted two victims from Indonesia Army, Sergeant Laowe got shot on his left hand and a soldier named Adi hit by bullet on his shoulder.
These two victims have been evacuated to the Regional General Hospital (Hospital ) of Mulia, Puncak Jaya in a state of unconsciousness .
A police in Mulia, Puncak Jaya had confirmed this incidents.
“The information is like that, we still standby at the police station,” said this police to the media, Saturday ( 18/1 ) .
Meanwhile , Head of the Public Relation of Papua Police, AKBP Sulistyo Pudjo, refused to be commented and requested journalist to confirm this incidents to Head of  Information of Kodam XVII Cenderawasih.
“Don’t ask me, ask Kapendam , ” said Pudjo through his cell phone on Saturday (18/1).
To reinforce this information, Jubi trying to contact the Head of Information of Cenderawasih XVII military command, Colonel Infantry Lismer Siantar Lumban , but his cell phone is off and could not be contacted .
It is not yet known whether the shooter was the member of National Liberation Army / Free Papua Movement ( TPN / OPM ) or other groups such as the Civilian Armed who seized weapons some time ago, called by the police chief of Puncak Jaya , AKBP . Aarhus as a maintained group.
Previously , other Civilian Armed groups have shot dead a civilian, named Muhammad Halil on Tuesday ( 07 / 01 ) morning at Wuyuneri village, Mulia district, Puncak Jaya regency. (Jubi/Indrayadi TH/Victor Mambor)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) 2 Years Sentence in Prison is Considered Unfair


Wamena, 18/1 (Jubi) – Wamena District Court sentenced 1,7 months to 2 years against 11 suspects of the burning of police station of Pegunungan Bintang on 16 June 2013 in the trial judge under the lead of Chief Judge Berlinda Ursula Mayor, SH in Wamena, Jayapura District, Papua (17/1).
A verdict of 2,1 years in prison was sentenced against Yakop Alya and Herry Kalagmabin. The sentence is shorter than what have been prosecuted by the Public Prosecutor, which was 4 years in Prison. They are both were imposed by the article 160 and 170, article on the incitement and harmful collective actions..
Emanuel Kalagmabin,Stevanus Banal, Ruben Sitokmabin, Wilem Alwolmabin,Yakop Alya, Manu Wombonggo, Agust Yamsin, Nesias Uropdana, Kletus Sasaka dan Isaias Taplo were sentenced 1,7 years in prison. While, Wilem Alwolmabin, Kletus Sasaka dan Stevanus Banal were sentenced for 3 years in prison, and other five suspects, Emanuel Kalakmabin, Wilem Alwolmabin, Agus Yamsin,Nesias Uropdana,Kletus Sasaka were sentenced for 2 years in prison.
The verdict that sentenced against the suspects is secluded from the evidence that tried to be proved in the court by the prosecutor. Their acts were only throwing stones on the roof, wall and glass window of police station, but they are accused on the burning of the police station that not yet proved.
“Who was bringing the gasoline? Who was taking the match? Who was throwing the fire? This is not clear, this sentence is not right,” Hengky Bidana, the family of accused suspects, said to tabloidjubi.com after the judgment hearing.
Hengky thought the sentence is not very fair. The executors were hundreds of people, but then only 11 person who accept the punishment. This unfair judgment could be raised as a result of the pressure from others.
“Judge can take the decision due to pressure policy institution who feel lost because the office get burned by hundreds of people,” he said.
“If the loss of the office is becoming the reason behind this, the court must also consider the public losses due to the revenge by the police after the burning of police station: the burning of 62 houses, 6 motorcycles, one truck and a satellite parabola belong to the community,”  Hengki added.
The suspects’ attorney, Semy Latussa, SH, MH, said this decision is not fair.
“This action was the mass action that involved about 300 to 700 people, and cannot be represented by 11 people. Each person must responsible for his or her action,” he said to this media (18/1).
“Although there were not able to represent, in the forced situation, with all sorts of the consideration, this 11 people has became the victims. If they arrested all perpetuators, there will be expensive because it would be a cost for the interrogation process, the trial, shelter and meals for hundreds of people, it might be costing billions of rupiahs. Rather that to spend a lot of money, this 11 people was became the victims,” he said.
The losses on the community’s side; the fact that the perpetrators were hundreds of people; the defense witnesses who never be presented, gunshot victims; according to this Ambonese man, were not considered by the court to reduce the sentence for 11 suspects.
“The sentence “not guilty” is not possible because they have already processed to the trial though actually they could be asked to change the broken glass. Reduce the detention period; they can be sentence for 6 months. We hope so but it’s not happened,” he said.
However, Semy feel that he was success in escorting the suspects. “As the law attorney, I feel I was success as their sentence was shorter than it was prosecuted,” he said. About the appellate or the unfair decision, Semi said he would further coordinate with the family of victims. (Jubi/Mawel/P. Maizier)

No comments:

Post a Comment