1) Confusion over West Papua bombing, displacement claims, as shooting of pilots confirmed
RNZ Pacific 6:32 am today
The Indonesian government has dismissed a claim that its military has been bombing villages in West Papua.
The United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP) claims a makeshift refugee camp in Puncak Regency of was bombed, and that many villagers have been displaced.
ULMWP president Benny Wenda said the Air Force had "relentlessly attacked the region" since the end of January.
"According to Human Rights Defenders on the ground, the Indonesian military used drones to drop bombs on the refugee camp in Kembru District, forcing civilians from nine villages to flee into the
"These are mostly women (some of them pregnant), children, and elders: defenceless people who have already been displaced from their homes by previous military operations."
However, a spokesperson for Indonesia's Embassy in New Zealand said that there were no increased attacks done by Indonesian Air Force or other branch of the military, "apart from regular patrol to provide security and to guarantee safety for all of Indonesians".
The embassy said around 500 residents in the area had been "evacuated" from their villages due to threats from an "armed criminal group", a label given to Papuan independence fighters.
Counter claims
There's more confusion around at least one separate, violent incident in the past several days.
ULMWP claimed Indonesia's military forces killed a Papuan man, Pit Nayagau, during a raid in the Sugapa District of Intan Jaya Regency.
But the embassy again pointed blame at the "armed criminal group" but indicated that more information was required for clarification regarding this incident.
Meanwhile, two were killed pilots after a pair of shooting at a commercial plane when it landed at an airport in South Papua Province last week.
"Unfortunately, those threats resulted in the loss of life of two Indonesian pilot in which their plane have been shot down by the armed criminal group. Mr. Elkius Kobak and Mr. Kopitua Heluka from the armed criminal group have claimed the responsibility of the shooting," the embassy said.
Meanwhile, Wenda said internet blackouts had hampewred the flow of information about the attacks.
"Indonesia is using their full range of occupation strategies during this offensive: forced displacement, indiscriminate targeting of villagers, and information blackouts," he said.
2) 11 Pioneer Airports in Papua Suspended After Smart Air Plane Shooting That Killed Two Reporter
Hendrik Yaputra
February 16, 2026 | 08:44 pm
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Directorate General of Civil Aviation has suspended the operation of 11 pioneer airports in Papua, following the shooting of a Smart Air plane at Korowai Airport in Boven Digoel Regency, South Papua.
Civil Aviation DG Lukman F. Laisa said the decision was taken to anticipate any unforeseen circumstances, and operations may resume once security is cleared by the Indonesian military and police.
"Security situation must be conducive and in compliance with flight safety standards," Lukman said on Monday, February 16, 2026.
The eleven airports include the Koroway Batu Service Unit (Satpel) in South Papua, Bomakia Airport in the Papuan Highlands, Yaniruma Service Unit in Papua Highlands, and Manggelum Service Unit in Papua Highlands.
Additionally, the Kapiraya Aerodrome, Iwur Aerodrome, Faowi Aerodrome, Dagai Aerodrome, Aboy Aerodrome, and Teraplu Aerodrome—all located in Papua Highlands—have also been suspended. The Beoga Aerodrome in Central Papua is also suspended.
Meanwhile, five pioneer airports continue to operate under military and police security despite being in high-risk areas. "Flight operations can be carried out while still considering the developments in the regions," he stated. These five airports are the Kiwirok Airport in Papua Highlands, Moanamani and Illu airports in Central Papua, and Sinak Service Unit and Agandugume Service Unit in Ilaga, Central Papua.
Lukman emphasized that operators who halt flights due to security reasons will not be sanctioned. Pioneer airport operations can still be carried out by ensuring the security conditions at the destination airports are met. "Operators are given the authority to assess security and decide whether to resume operations for safety reasons," he added.
The Civil Aviation DG is currently mapping out airports based on risk levels, drafting special Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for aircraft crews in critical zones, and working with the Coordinating Ministry for Political and Security Affairs and law enforcement agencies to investigate the recent shooting.
The Ministry of Transportation emphasizes the importance of strengthening the legal basis for the halting of operations if security conditions are not met. "And the need for a joint decree between regional governments and security forces to strengthen the implementation of pioneer air transport," Lukman stated.
Head of the Public Relations Task Force for Operation Damai Cartenz, Commissioner Yusuf Sutejo, previously stated that 13 passengers were onboard the Smart Air plane that was shot at upon landing. The flight was piloted by Captain Egon Erawan and Co-pilot Captain Bas Koro.
As a result of the shooting, the pilot and co-pilot were declared dead, while 13 passengers, comprising 12 adults and one infant, were reported as safe. The Operation Cartenz Peace has identified the shooters as the West Papuan National Liberation Army-Free Papua Organization (TPNPB-OPM) Yahukimo Battalion, known as the Cannibal and Red Ants.
Meanwhile, the spokesperson for the TPNPB headquarters, Sebby Sambom, stated that the Korowai area is within the operational area of the TPNPB militia of the XVI/Yahukimo Defense Command (Kodap) led by Elkius Kobak and Kopitua Heluka as the operations commander. "We are very clear. TPNPB has long issued warnings for Indonesian people to leave Papua, especially in conflict zones," Sebby said via a WhatsApp voice message on Monday, February 16, 2026.
Furthermore, TPNPB has designated the Boven Digoel area, which is within the operational area of the XVI/Yahukimo Defense Command, as a conflict zone, so various shooting incidents are normalized.
Andi Adam Faturahman contributed to the writing of this article.
3) DPD urges ministry to re-verify data of school dropouts in Papua
February 16, 2026 20:41 GMT+700
Manokwari, W Papua (ANTARA) - Committee III of the Regional Representatives Council (DPD) has urged the Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education to re-verify data on school dropouts across Papua.
Chairman of Committee III, Filep Wamafma, said in Manokwari, West Papua, on Monday that updating and verifying the data is crucial to ensure accurate policymaking.
“The accuracy and validity of education data are vital to ensure it truly reflects actual conditions on the ground,” he said.
He noted that figures presented by the Chairman of the Executive Committee for the Acceleration of Papua Special Autonomy in January 2026 estimated the number of dropouts at 700,000, a significant increase compared with the ministry’s 2024 data.
He stressed that the government must reconcile these differing figures to ensure that education development planning in Papua is aligned with real conditions and effectively addresses underlying issues.
“In 2024, the ministry recorded just over 30,000 students, from elementary to senior high school levels, dropping out in the same region,” he added.
Wamafma said the lack of data synchronization and updates could lead to inaccurate policies that fail to address core problems such as high education costs, limited infrastructure, and teacher shortages.
He noted that scholarship distribution relies on Basic Education Data (Dapodik), and the National Socio-Economic Single Data (DTSEN), which integrates the Social Welfare Integrated Data, the Socio-Economic Registry, and the Family Development Potential Mapping (P3KE) database.
“Discrepancies among these systems could potentially result in misdirected educational assistance,” he said.
He added that local governments must conduct periodic data collection to ensure that every school dropout in Papua receives proper attention and direct intervention.
“No more Papuan children should lose their right to education,” he emphasized.
In addition to education data, Wamafma highlighted the teacher-to-student ratio as an indicator of the uneven distribution of educators across Papua, which directly affects the quality of learning.
He also suggested that local governments involve customary and church leaders in the data verification process to ensure independence and strengthen public trust in the results.
On 10 May 2025, Mr Ortizan F. Tarage, a civilian resident of Sorong City, was apprehended without explanation by three officers of the Sorong City Police (Polresta Sorong Kota) while fishing behind the Diklat Complex on Jalan Pendidikan, Kilometer 8. According to testimony gathered by the Legal Aid Institute (LBH) Papua Pos Sorong, Mr Tarage was taken away in an unmarked vehicle later identified as belonging to the police, and subsequently subjected to severe physical violence during police detention. The torture involved beatings with wood, bamboo, iron bars, iron padlocks, and hoses in an effort to coerce a confession to motorcycle thefts he did not commit. Mr Tarage sustained serious injuries to his face, calves, thighs, shoulders, and hands (see photo on top, source: LBH Sorong). The treatment Mr Tarage endured constitutes torture as defined under international law, and represents a grave violation of the absolute and non-derogable prohibition against torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment.
The torture of Mr Tarage and the subsequent failure of accountability violate a broad framework of domestic and international legal obligations binding on Indonesia. These include Article 28G(2) of the 1945 Constitution, which guarantees freedom from torture; Law No. 39/1999 on Human Rights; Law No. 5/1998 concerning ratification of the Convention against Torture (CAT); and Law No. 12 of 2005 on ratification of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). The case also contravenes the National Police’s own internal regulations, including National Police Regulation No. 8/2009 and No. 8/2021. Under international human rights law, states are obligated not only to refrain from torture but to ensure prompt, impartial, and effective investigation of all allegations, to hold perpetrators accountable, and to provide victims with access to redress and reparation. The prolonged absence of any investigative progress in this case represents a failure on all of these counts.
On 14 February 2026, LBH Papua Pos Sorong formally filed a complaint with the Internal Affairs Division (Propam) of the West Papua Regional Police, urging the Regional Police Chief to impose disciplinary sanctions on the officers involved and to initiate a professional criminal investigation. LBH has further called upon Komnas HAM RI to conduct an independent inquiry into the case. The family of Mr Tarage continues to demand justice and has expressed grave concern that the police apparatus may be actively shielding the perpetrators from accountability.
5) Security forces allegedly shot dead prison fugitive in Kaimana Regency
16 February 2026 / 3 minutes of reading
On 4 February 2026, military and correctional facility officers reportedly shot dead Mr Zet Tare, 32, an escaped detainee from Kaimana Correctional Facility, during an arrest operation near the Pertamina areal in Kaimana Town, Kaimana Regency, Papua Barat province. According to the information received, security officers released multiple gunshots at Mr Tare and subsequnetly subjetetd him to physical violence, causing him to die at the scene. His body was subsequently transported to Kaimana Regional Hospital.
Security personnel located and apprehended Mr Zet Tare around 11:00 pm. He had been listed as a fugitive (Daftar Pencarian Orang, DPO) after escaping from Kaimana Prison in December 2025. Residents reported hearing several gunshots, causing panic among the local community. According to a witness, officers opened fire at Mr Tare even though he did not resist arrest. After the shooting, officers transferred the body to the hospital morgue, with visible gunshot wounds and injuries to the back of the skull, as well as bleeding from the nose and mouth.
When Mr Tare’s relatives received information about the incident, they went to the Kaimana Regional Hospital. Upon arrival, she was informed that he had already been pronounced dead by medical personnel. Prison and military personnel reportedly prevented the family from taking the body home from the morgue, where the body was cleaned, projectiles removed and the bullet wounds covered. Family bodies were allowed to pick-up the body at noon on 5 February 2026. Military members and correctional officers escorted Mr Tare’s body together with relatives to the cemetery for burial. Following the failed arrest operation, the Kaimana Prison authorities did not issue a public statement clarifying the legal grounds for the use of firearms.
The fugitive status of a person does not extinguish the right to life, the presumption of innocence, or the right to due process. Law enforcement authorities remain bound by the principles of legality, necessity, proportionality, and accountability when effecting an arrest. The reported use of lethal force against an unarmed suspect who allegedly did not resist raises serious concerns of extrajudicial execution. Allegations of physical assault prior to death further indicate possible violations of the prohibition of torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment.
In light of these allegations, an independent, prompt, thorough and impartial investigation consistent with the Minnesota Protocol on the Investigation of Potentially Unlawful Death (2016) is required. Such an investigation should involve Komnas HAM and independent forensic experts to ensure credibility and transparency. The authorities must preserve all ballistic, medical and scene-of-crime evidence and guarantee that the victim’s family is free from intimidation.
execution, right to life, torture, unlawful killing
Period of incident: 04/02/2026 – 04/02/2026 Perpetrator: , Indonesian Military (TNI), Correctional Forces Issues: indigenous peoples, security force violence
-----------------------------------
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.