Thursday, August 20, 2015

1) Karma release unclear despite signs from Jakarta

2) 20 Inmates Receive Sentence Cuts on Independence Day

3) Police to Stop Questioning GIDI Leaders?

4) Rumors of Flag Lowering Untrue

5) Intriguing days ahead of  independence

6) Flights in Papua Must Obey the Rules, Governor Says

7) Patani and Papua People Share Struggle for Independent Homeland
8) Australia, Indonesia to  tackle funding for extremist  groups -

9) All bodies of Trigana plane crash victims arrive in Jayapura


1) Karma release unclear despite signs from Jakarta

Updated at 3:52 pm today
It remains unclear whether the West Papuan activist Filep Karma will soon walk free from Abepura Prison in Indonesia's eastern region.
Karma has served two thirds of a 15-year jail term for treason after he raised the banned Papuan Morning Star flag in 2004.
Last week, he rejected an offer of remission on Indonesia's Independence Day, saying he would only accept unconditional release.
The Political, Law and Security Minister, Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan has subsequently guaranteed Karma's security and freedom of speech once he leaves prison.
In addition the government has given the walking orders for Filep Karma to walk free any day now.
However, an anthropologist and associate of Karma, Eben Kirksey, says that there seems to be some miscommunication between Jakarta and Abepura.
"In short, the walking papers haven't been received by the head of the prison. And at this point, Filep Karma can't leave jail. He’s waiting for official notice 
from the prison authorities before he can leave. He's quite ready to leave but at this point he can't leave without some sort of official document from the Indonesian government."
While he appears to be on the verge of freedom, Karma is anxious not to follow in the steps of the man he went to jail with for raising the flag.
Eben Kirksey says that when Yusak Pakage was released from prison he had to sign documents that forced him to report regularly to intelligence officers.
“He told me that pretty much every day they would call and they would ask for information about his activities, his whereabouts, who he had been meeting with.
 So Filep wants to make very, very clear that he's not going to be subjected to any of those kind of conditionalities. Whatever Jakarta says, there’s all sorts
of agents on the ground who have their own agendas."
While it also remains unclear whether Filep Karma will receive a pardon, Minister Luhut told Indonesian media that the Papuan was wrongly convicted of treason, 
or makar, which implies inciting armed revolt.
Although he says he disapproves of people raising the Morning Star flag in the Papua region, the minister said that Karma did not commit treason as such.


2) 20 Inmates Receive Sentence Cuts on Independence Day

Wamena, Jubi – As many as 20 inmates at the Penitentiary Class II B Wamena recieved sentence cuts to mark independence day.
Remissions were requested for 26 inmates but on the ceremony of Independence day, only 20 people received the Decree of the Minister of Justice and Human Rights.
A dasawarsa remission is a special remission given once every 10 years of Independence day Commemoration.
Remissions were granted by Jayawijaya regent, Wempi Wetipo and witnessed by the local government authorities in Jayawijaya. In his speech he said there were some inmates released after received remissions and some were granted cut of the detention.
“He hoped the released inmates go back to the community and also the family so that they can do good things for the future,” he said on Monday (17/8/2015).
Regarding the three prisoners who refused to request clemency from the President, the regent said there is newer too late because all are for sake of kindness. Regent also explained that the approach taken by the President is a good approach, so he hoped the prisoners to understand the policies carried out.
Meanwhile, head of Wamena Prison, Daniel Rumsowek explained, granting remission to 20 inmates was based on the decision of the Minister of Justice and Human Rights on the establishment of a reduced sentence specifically on 70th anniversary proclamation of Indonesian independence.
“There are 20 out of 26 inmates that we have proposed and received remissions because they behave well and can meet the administrative requirements of a variety of crimes. We hope they will do good when they return to their communities and will stay away from crimes, “he added.
“While the remission for six others will follow, because the decree has not been received, including three political prisoners,” he explained. (Islami/Tina)


3) Police to Stop Questioning GIDI Leaders?

The statement was made after the meeting between the General Crime and Investigation Director of Papua Police Dwi Riyanto with the Chairman of Nadhatul Ulama Papua, DR. H. Toni Wanggai, MA, and the Kingmi Synod Chairman the Rev. Benny Giay, Baptist Synod Chairman the Rev. Socratez Sofyan Yoman, GIDI Synod Chairman the Rev. Dorman Wandikbo and GKI Synod Chairman presented by the Rev. Dora Balubun at the Papua Police Headquarter.
The rev. Benny Giay said considering the security for all, especially people in Tolikara, both Christian and Muslim, so through the meeting the Papua Police agreed to discontinue summon over three GIDI leaders for further questions. The agreement was accommodated by Interfaith Forum (FKUB) Papua on 29 July 2015.
“This summon discontinued because at first, this agreement is to represent the feeling and aspiration of both sides. Second, it is related to the security for both sides, because it’s not only the police who’s responsible to the security. The Police should respect this, for not taking any further action with doing investigation. If they insist to do so, what’s for about? Because both sides have agreed for peace,” Giay said.
And third, good intention of both sides that has resulted seven points of agreement for conflict resolution should be respected. Giay also said a question should be raised if the police continue enforcing the legal process by issue letter of summon only against GIDI. Nevertheless, the continuation of this misunderstanding would be further discussed with Papua Police Chief Paulus Waterpauw after he returns from Jakarta.
Meanwhile, Chairman of NU Papua Province, DR. H. Toni Wanggai, MA said his present with Papua church leaders at Papua Police Headquarter to give fully support so that the police could respect the decision taken by both sides. “NU Papua fully support the demand of the church synod leaders to discontinue the legal process of Tolikara incident and solved through mediation and companionship or by customary law according to peace agreement made between GIDI and Muslim leaders at Tolikara on 29 July,” Haji Wanggai told Jubi.
“Because the government is only care about the legal process but ignore the customary, social and cultural approach, therefore we are worried that this case would be prolonged and complex, it also would affect the stability of social politic in Papua and Indonesia,” Haji Wanggai said.
He also said GIDI leaders have respectfully apologized the security forces who did repressive action that caused many wounded people and one death from GIDI members. They also agreed to maintain the harmony between Muslim and Christian Community in Tolikara.
“We hope the President Jokowi could wisely discontinue this process of legal enforcement to prevent the greater social political impact for the sake of common respect in realizing Papua as peaceful land,” Haji Wanggai said.
Meanwhile, the Crime and Investigation Unit Director of Papua Police did not give any comments in regards to the meeting result that held about one hour in his office. His office has issued three summonses against the Rev. Nayus Wonda, the Rev. Marhen Jingga and the Rev. Yakob Jikwa. But the summons over three GIDI leaders on Friday (14/8) was protested by church and NU leaders in Papua. (Yuliana Lantipo/rom)

4) Rumors of Flag Lowering Untrue

Merauke, Jubi – Merauke Regent Romanus Mbaraka said rumors that residents had lowed Indonesian flags in Rawa Biru village, Sota district were not true.
Mbaraka said on Monday (17/08/2015) eight households live in Rawa Biru village.
“At that time I wanted to draw them in at Rawa Biru village. Only it did not run well because there is the question of ownership of customary land rights, “he said.
Thus, he planned to make transmigration program for them where local government will set up an area of ​​two hectares and build housing.
“Today I am going to the village to attend the ceremony of the 70th Anniversary of Indonesia and conduct a direct dialogue with the community, in order to hear the difficulties faced, “he said.
“Again I denied about the rumors that residents lowered down the Red and White flag by communities around Rawa Biru. I have a brother who lives there and reported that there was no incidence of lowered flag. “he added.
Head of Sota district, Mike Walinaulik stated ocal government has given its attention to the people in the villages through various programs such as PNPM Mandiri / Respek program. (Frans L Kobun/ Tina)


5) Intriguing days ahead of  independence
Greg Poulgrain, Brisbane | Opinion | Thu, August 20 2015, 6:39 AM -
The Proklamasi was “an event in our history of the utmost importance” but Sukarno’s plain words do not hint at the extreme danger involved had the Japanese army decided to crush those who organized the declaration of independence. Prominent nationalists and youth groups seized the moment on Aug. 17, 1945, two days after World War II ended.

There is also another reason, still unexplained, why the proclamation of independence occurred when it did, that is of great interest to both Indonesian and Australian historians. How many of us know that the help given by two Japanese naval officers, Nishijima and Yoshizumi and their school of independence (Dokoritsu Juku) occurred only because they had been released from wartime detention in Australia in 1942? Who arranged for their return to Java when war in the Pacific was at its high point? 

For Nishijima, the three days up to Aug. 17 were the most difficult time in his life, as he explained to me at his home in Tokyo 30 years ago. Had independence been declared spontaneously on Aug. 16, it might have led to a tragic clash with the Japanese Army even before the return of the Dutch colonial army. The Japanese army disapproved of Nishijima’s pro-Indonesia stance: they had not been briefed on the Navy’s post-war plan for linking Japan and Indonesia.

The former Netherlands East Indies became the new “Indonesia” after intense, all-night discussion in the house of Nishijima’s superior, Admiral Maeda Tadashi. His area of wartime command was Netherlands New Guinea. Sukarno was not informed by Nishijima that Maeda had found a rich oilfield in the remote Dutch territory. Later vice president Mohammad Hatta, who before the war was detained in New Guinea for one year, spoke strongly against including Papuan territory into “Indonesia”.

Because of his role in preparing the Proklamasi, Nishijima already knew I would ask who was responsible for his release from detention in Australia in August 1942. Many Japanese residing in the Indies returned to Japan before the strike on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, but 1,700 remained. 

The Japanese army disapproved of Nishijima’s pro-Indonesia stance ...

They were arrested by the Dutch and sent to Australia — supposedly for the duration of the war — but someone in Washington or New York arranged for their release in a repatriation exchange. From Loveday internment camp in South Australia, 834 Japanese were released. This occurred despite a Dutch intelligence report describing many as “top Japanese naval spies”. 

Nishijima since 1937 had been working underground in department stores in Surabaya, Bandung and Batavia (Jakarta), “collecting information and making contacts”. The Dutch report, which had extensive details on Yoshizumi, mysteriously disappeared just before the repatriation exchange.

As I entered the front door of his house in Tokyo, Nishijima asked me whether I had already interviewed Dean Rusk. Well-known as president John Kennedy’s Secretary of State in the 1960s, Rusk in 1942 was a top man in War Department intelligence and very likely to know who was responsible. Rusk denied involvement and pointed to the State Department. 

The reaction of the US commander in the Pacific, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, was telling: He ordered that no members of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS, the forerunner of the Central Intelligence Agency) be allowed to operate anywhere in MacArthur’s Pacific Area. 

Official reports have never been made available but MacArthur likely blamed the OSS head man in New York at the time of the repatriation, Allen Dulles. As one of the two head lawyers for Standard Oil, he also had post-war plans for the Indies, intent on accessing its natural resources. Dulles was the first person approached by the Japanese when surrender became inevitable.

In the 48 hours before the Proklamasi, there was a maze of activity. Youth groups had kidnapped Sukarno and Hatta, trying to force a declaration of independence. Nishiijima conducted delicate negotiations with Wikana, the figure with links with both the school and the youth groups. The Japanese army had half-approved Indonesian independence, but only on Japanese terms, so nationalists and youth groups would have faced the wrath of the Kempetai, the ruthless Japanese military police. 

Nishijima’s key contact in the preparatory committee of Indonesian independence was Subardjo whom he had known before the war started. Also among Dokuritsu Juku students were future leaders of the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI), DN Aidit and Lukman. 

“Had they not been part of the school,” Nishijima said, referring to the 1965 political upheaval, “maybe their lives would have been different.” When the youth groups kidnapped Sukarno and Hatta, Nishijima reminded them that, although Japan had surrendered, the army was still intact. The terms of surrender signed by the Japanese required the Japanese army to join forces with incoming British troops to restore order before the return of the Netherlands Indies colonial administration. 

In Maeda’s house, during the long night of Aug. 16, intense discussion continued on the wording of the Proklamasi to be delivered the next morning. Nishijima arranged for an army representative to participate to avoid any backlash from the army, and he chose his man carefully. This was the main reason the proclamation reads like an office memo. Niishijima told me that when Sukarno asked him for suitable wording to achieve this aim, he wrote on a piece of paper and handed it to Sukarno. With minor changes, this became the Proklamasi. 

He added that nobody noticed, until the last minute, that the date on the paper was written according to the Japanese calendar — not 1945 but 2605. Hatta and Sukarno signed the document, the historic announcement was made at 10 a.m. that morning and then Nisihijima arranged for Adam Malik to broadcast on Japanese radio the words of Sukarno, worldwide: “We the people of Indonesia […]” 

The writer teaches Indonesian history at the University of the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane. He wrote The Incubus of Intervention: Conflicting Indonesia Strategies of John F. Kennedy and Allen Dulles. - 


6) Flights in Papua Must Obey the Rules, Governor Says

Jayapura, Jubi – Papua Governor Lukas Enembe urged airlines flying above mountainous areas of Papua to obey the rules including those on data of passengers.
“Up to now Papua province is awaiting the evacuation process done by combined team of TNI / Police and the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basernas). We hope this team will do data verification both flight’s manifest and victims who were on the plane,” Lukas Enembe said in Jayapura, on Tuesday (18/8/ 2015).
According to him, all flight companies that serve in Papua should have valid data of their passengers.
“This incident would be a reminder for all flights in Papua to not repeat this message,” he said.
In addition, governor demanded all flights that serve in Mountains region of Papua to fly before 15.00 p.m because the weather in the afternoon is not good for flying.
“Trigana ATR aircraft flew in the afternoon that actually was not right,” Enembe added.
On the same occasion, the governor expressed his grief over the aircraft accident aircraft with flight number PK YRN IL-257- Jayapura -Oksibil route that fell in Kampung Tiga, Oktabe district, Pegunungan Bintang on Sunday (16/8/2015).
20 bodies were found around 11:05 pm and at 12.45, the rescue team were able to find another 34 bodies of victims.
This was confirmed by chief of Basarnas Marshal FHB Soelistyo in Sentani on Tuesday (18/8/2015).
“At 12:42 (local time), the rescue team has managed to find 54 bodies of victims. 54 victims are now in the operating location, while another sought to be evacuated to Oksibil. The body will be transported by helicopter towards Oksibil. If the weather supports all the bodies will be taken to Jayapura, “he said. (Alexander Loen/ Tina)

7) Patani and Papua People Share Struggle for Independent Homeland

He said though he never been in Papua, but he heard a lot about the condition of Papua. What was happening to Papuans is also being experienced by Patani people.
“I do not know much about Papua, but I have heard about it. I think the problems in Papua are more related to political issues,” HS told in conversation with Jubi on Friday night (14/8/2015).
According to him, the government exploits the natural resources of Papua without caring its people. If people think they were not treated fairly and fight for justice, the authority will use its power to suppress them. “I read the documents of Al Jazeera, I feel sorry for foreign journalist forbidden to entry into Papua. It’s really not right. I have a Papuan fellow; he said Papuans opposed the Indonesian Government, but they do not hate Indonesian people,” he said.
In Pattani, on Friday (14/8/2015), the Patani People in three provinces of Southern Thailand commemorated 61 years of disappearance of Patani religious, political and reform leader Haji Sulong Abdul Qadir Tohmeena held in the residence of late Haji Sulong. At least 300 people attended the event, including Patani religious leaders, local and international NGOs and 150 descendants of Haji Sulong.
A founder of Wartani, media and information technology base CSO, Mohamad Sabri Yusoff said such event would not possibly hold in the previous years, because the government of Thailand Kingdom strict the freedom for the people of Patani.
“The government even prohibited us to only mention ‘Patani’, but through our efforts and other NGOs’, they finally allow us. Previously, before the conflict of new era, it’s difficult to tell about the history of Patani. If so, we could be arrested or considered as rebel,” he said.
However, he admitted that this commemoration was held without the government’s official permit. The government still do not want the people of Patani to commemorate the disappearance of Patani leader Haji Sulong. “But through campaigns in social media, the government is currently not dare to be oppressive, but who knows a great conflict might be raise in the future,” he said.
In this conversation, he also explained about the Pattani and Patani. Pattani is only referred to a province, while Patani has a broader meaning. “Pattani is a province, but Patani is to refer three provinces of Southern Thailand. It’s kind of a state,” he said. (Arjuna Pademme/rom)
8) Australia, Indonesia to  tackle funding for extremist  groups - 

Australia and Indonesia will co-host a meeting of regional law enforcement and national security agencies to discuss ways of blocking funding for extremists, it was announced Wednesday.
Australia's visiting Justice Minister Michael Keenan announced the meeting after talks with Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla, at which violent radicalism was high on the agenda.
The two countries will host the meeting in Sydney in November, the first gathering of its kind in the region.
Keenan said joint efforts to counter extremism began in the aftermath of the 2002 Bali bombings -- which killed 202 people, including 88 Australians -- and were needed more than ever today.
"The Indonesian government, like the Australian government, is concerned about the reach of this barbarous terrorist organization in the Middle East and the methods they use to radicalize people," he said, referring to the Islamic State (IS) group.
"It's good for us to be able to share that experience, but also to share strategies for combating it as well."
Hundreds of Indonesians are thought to have joined IS in the Middle East. There are fears that they could revive sophisticated militant networks on their return and launch attacks.
Just last week police in Indonesia, the world's largest Muslim-majority country, said they foiled a homegrown plot to blow up churches and police stations in central Java, with three IS-linked militants arrested.
Australia too is increasingly concerned about the number of its citizens fighting with jihadist groups, and last month arrested and charged a nurse for knowingly providing support to IS.
The summit will seek regional commitments to share financial and intelligence data to the fullest extent to help combat the capabilities of extremist groups. 
Keenan's visit was the first by an Australian minister since Canberra temporarily recalled its ambassador in April over the execution of two Australian drug traffickers.
Australian officials insist high-level cooperation on extremism and other issues of national security never wavered despite cooling relations.

9) All bodies of Trigana plane crash victims arrive in Jayapura

Kamis, 20 Agustus 2015 13:49 WIB | 16 Views
Jayapura, Papua (ANTARA News) - Bodies of the 54 victims of the Trigana plane crash arrived in Jayapura, Papua, on Thursday, after being transported aboard four aircraft from Oksibil since Wednesday.

Only four bodies were transported on Wednesday due to the bad weather, and the bodies of 50 others arrived the next day, spokesman of the Jayapura Air Force base Major Juni Kurniawati stated.

The relatives of the victims were expected to arrive in Jayapura onboard a Trigana twin otter aircraft, she added. 

According to Indonesias Ministry of Transportation, the ill-fated ATR aircraft, bearing Flight No. 257, had lost contact on Sunday (Aug 16) at 2:55 p.m. local time, during its flight from Jayapura to Oksibil.

The aircraft, with 49 passengers and five crew members, including Pilot Hasanudin and co-pilot Aryadi, was due to arrive in Oksibil at 3:15 p.m. WIT after a 55-minute flight but had failed to make its scheduled landing.  

The efforts to transport the bodies of the 54 victims onboard the Trigana Airways aircraft were hindered due to the extreme weather.(*)

No comments:

Post a Comment