Friday, August 30, 2019

1) President orders crackdown on rioting, anarchy in Papua

2) Thousands of Papuans occupy governor's office after rioting
3) Papua Riot: Police Dispatched 400 Officers to Jayapura
4) 4 Facts about Papua Unrest
5) Police, military still controlling security in Papua

6) Indonesian Police stations 300 personnel in Papua

7) Papua protests: capital Jayapura burns during night of violence

1) President orders crackdown on rioting, anarchy in Papua

15 hours ago
Purworejo, C Java (ANTARA) - President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) has ordered the police and military to take stern measures against those spreading anarchy and racism in Papua. "I am following the case and I have received information on the latest situation in Papua, especially in Jayapura," Jokowi said before a shadow puppet theater in Purworejo, Central Java, late Thursday.

The President has also called on the public to stay calm and refrain from committing anarchy.

"It will harm all of us if public facilities are damaged," he said.

Related news: Security personnel fire tear gas to diffuse rioters in Papua

The government would remain committed to developing Papua, both in terms of physical and human resource development, Jokowi reiterated.

"Let us keep Papua as a peaceful region, peaceful land. I call on all leaders, customary and religious leaders, as well as Papuan youths to help materialize a peaceful and developed Papua," Jokowi said.

The government has planned to meet Papuan tribal chiefs and is still searching for an appropriate time.

"We have planned it (the meeting) to be conducted this week, but it is not possible. In the near term, we will have the meeting with youth leaders, customary as well as religious leaders," Jokowi said.

Related news: Second Sergeant Rikson farewelled with full military honors on Friday

Reporter: Agus Salim, Sri Haryati

Editor: Rahmad Nasution


2) Thousands of Papuans occupy governor's office after rioting

5:56 pm today

Jayapura burning after protestors torched the Papuan provincial capital and other buildings, 29 August 2019 Photo: Supplied

Thousands of Papuans in Indonesia are occupying the governor's office, a protest organiser says, after several government buildings were torched in the provincial capital Jayapura on Thursday.
Jayapura burning after protestors torched the Papuan provincial capital and other buildings, 29 August 2019 Photo: Supplied
Security forces struggling to maintain stability during widespread protests across Papua - the biggest in decades in the region - have been boosted by hundreds of extra security forces flown in overnight. But protestors and Papuan leaders ahve said they were worried the occupation could end in bloodshed.
The unrest in Jayapura, which involved building fronts being smashed and the parliament and other government complexes set ablaze, is the latest in nearly two weeks of demonstrations that have rocked Papua.
Although protestors are focused on countering anti-Papuan racism by other Indonesians, they have also included calls for an independence referendum. The country's top security minister has rejected the latter.
Witnesses and police said police fired tear gas and rubber bullets at protestors on Thursday, according to one protestor and the Papuan online news outlet Tabloid Jubi. Around 5000 protestors remained camped outside Papua governor Lukas Enembe's office on Friday, said Victor Yeimo, a spokesperson for the pro-independence West Papua National Committee.
"This is our land and we are not monkeys," said Rosa Moiwend, a Papuan activist in Jayapura. Outrage at the labelling of Papuans as "monkeys" by some Indonesians has featured widely in protest symbolism.
Indonesia has struggled to contain protests which have galvanised huge numbers of Papuans and this week have quickly lapsed into violent rioting.
Six-hundred soldiers arrived in Jayapura on Thursday night, state media reported.
Activists said security forces had been heavy-handed and a heightened presence would only exacerbate discontent among Papuans.
The government has blocked internet across Papua for the past week in what it claims is a necessary anti-disinformation measure. Some phone lines have been disrupted too, including in Deiyai where at least two protestors and a soldier died in a clash on Wednesday.
Activists claim at least six protestors were shot dead by security forces, which the government has refuted.
"This is really something new," said Hipolitus Wangge, an Indonesian researcher at the Marthinus Academy in Jakarta.
"Over 57 years, there is no such protest like this."
He added that the protest movement had highlighted the government's inability to address the concerns of Papuans.
Police have slapped travel bans on seven people who hurled racist insults at Papuan students earlier this month in the Javanese city of Surabaya, an incident viewed as the catalyst for the protests.
President Joko Widodo appealed for calm and urged protestors to refrain from damaging public facilities, the state-news agency Antara reported.
"Let us keep Papua as a peaceful region, peaceful land."
In a statement on Friday, the West Papuan independence campaigner Benny Wenda called for international intervention, including from the UN, to avoid what he said could "turn into a bloodbath".
"We cannot allow another Santa Cruz massacre to take place in West Papua," he said in reference to the 1991 incident in occupied East Timor, where Indonesian soldiers shot dead at least 250 pro-independence demonstrators.
3) Papua Riot: Police Dispatched 400 Officers to Jayapura


Laila Afifa

TEMPO.COJakarta- The National Police dispatched four units of company-level Brimob (SSK) personnel, or around 400 officers, to Jayapura City, PapuaProvince, after a riot broke out yesterday, August 29.
"Four SSKs from the Mobile Brigade Corps were sent to Jayapura," The National Police Headquarters' Public Information Bureau head, Brig. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo, toldTempoon Friday, 30 August.
He said the Brimob personnel are from the East Kalimantan and Central Kalimantan Regional Police.
Riots broke in Jayapura yesterday. The Papuan People's Assembly (MRP) office on Abepura Road was set on fire by a mob. The Telkom office on Jalan Koti was also burned.
The masses also set other public service facilities on fire, such as the post office and gas stations. Thousands of people then threw rocks at several office buildings and hotels in Jayapura.
Dedi said that according to the Regional Police, the situation in Jayapurais starting to calm down. Demonstrators in front of the Papua Governor's Office have disbanded since last night.
"The masses have returned to their homes, taken by TNI-Polri vehicles," said Dedi
Demonstrations have spread to almost all districts in the eastern region of Indonesia over the past two weeks. They rally to condemn the racism against Papuan students in Surabaya. 

4) 4 Facts about Papua Unrest



Laila Afifa

TEMPO.COJakarta- Rallies at several areas in PapuaProvince on Thursday, August 29, turned into riots. The Papua unrest has caused damage to materials in Sentani, Abepura, Kotaraja, and Jayapura.
The demonstration protested racist slurs committed by mass organization and authorities at Papuan student dorms in Surabaya on August 16. Earlier on August 15, in Malang, East Java, a group of Papuan students was barred from conducting a rally due to administrative issue.
The incidents in Surabaya and Malang have triggered riots in Manokwari and Sorong, West Papua Province, on August 19. Now, the unrest has reoccurred. The following are the facts on Papua unrest:
1. Buildings and shops were burned down
A number of office buildings and businesses along the Abepura, Entrop, and Jayapura area, including Telkomsel building and Jayapura Post office, was burned down. The branch of Bank Indonesia office and shopping centers also became the targets.
2. Anarchistic
A Jayapura resident, Yusup Rifai, said that it was the second demonstration that turned into a riot. The first one on August 19 went well and was under control, while the second rally tended to be anarchistic. The mass walked while throwing the buildings along the road they passed by.
"Several buildings, as well as motorcycles, cars, and shops along Jalan Entrop were burned down," he said Thursday, August 29.
3. Civilians and authorities fell into victims
Based on the data from the police, a civilian was shot in the leg and died at Enarotali Hospital. Another civilian and one TNI (Indonesian Military) member also died of arrow attacks at Deiyai Regency office yard.
Meanwhile, a TNI personnel, a Police's Brimob personnel, and three Paniai Police officers sustained injuries following the arrow attack.
4. The demand for Papua independence referendum
The Police Chief of Public Information Brig. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo said the clash broke after around 150 protesters pressed Deiyai Regent to sign Papua referendum to separate from Indonesia.
A negotiation between the protesters and authorities from the TNI and the Police took place in the location. But the clash broke during the negotiation. "Thousands of people, coming from various directions, armored with sharp weapons and arrows immediately attacked the security forces," Dedi said in Ancol, North Jakarta on Thursday, August 29.
The Papua unrestthat has taken casualties was unavoidable.


5) Police, military still controlling security in Papua
16 hours ago

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The National Police and the Indonesian Military are still trying to control the security situation in Papua after numerous riots that erupted in the region.

"The apparatus is still working as much as possible to control the security situation in Papua," Chief of the Public Relations Bureau of the National Police Brigadier General Dedi Prasetyo said at the National Police Headquarters, Jakarta, Thursday. On Wednesday, August 28, and Thursday there were demonstrations which ended in anarchism in Deiyai and Jayapura.

"People held demonstrations this morning in Sentani. Then, they headed for Jayapura," he said.

During the demonstrations, people damaged some public facilities of among others sub-precinct police in South Jayapura, Abepura correctional institution, shops, vehicles and other locations.

"The communication network in some areas has been cut," Prasetyo said.

Related news: Indonesian Police stations 300 personnel in Papua
Related news: Security personnel fire tear gas to diffuse rioters in Papua

Two civilians and an army soldier were killed in a protest that turned violent in Deiyai District, Papua, Wednesday, Papua Police Chief Inspector General Rudolf Rodja said.

"Reports that six civilians were killed and injured in the incident are untrue. We can confirm that three people were killed, two of them were civilians and one was an army soldier," Rodja earlier said when contacted here Wednesday.

The riot erupted when nearly one hundred people were staging a protest in front of the Deiyai District office. Suddenly, another 1,000 people appeared on the scene and some of them tried to attack the security personnel.

The mobs attacked a car, killing an army man, Second Sergeant Rikson, with a machete and an arrow. They also seized 10 SS 1 assault rifles and some ammunition.

After grabbing the military rifles, they opened fire on security personnel who were controlling the protestors and the subsequent exchange of fire was unavoidable, Rodja said.

Five military and police personnel were injured in the incident. All the victims were quickly evacuated to Enarotali Hospital and the situation is now under control, he said.

Related news: Three killed in riot in Deiyai District
Related news: Military, police chiefs hold closed-door meeting with Papuan figures

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Indonesian Police deployed 300 Mobile Brigade Unit (Brimob) personnel to Deiyai, Paniai, and Jayapura following the unrest in Deiyai District that killed two civilians and an Army soldier, Indonesian Police Chief Gen. Tito Karnavian stated.

Karnavian expressed concern over the incident on Wednesday (Aug 28) and expressed hope of it not recurring in the future.

"We deplored the incident in Deiyai in which an army soldier was killed. He was killed in the line of action while guarding military weapons in a car. He was fatally struck by an arrow. His rifle was taken," he stated here on Thursday.

Related news: Security personnel fire tear gas to diffuse rioters in Papua

Five military and police personnel were injured in the incident.

The police accused a group from Paniai that had triggered the unrest. They were not in the same group with other demonstrators, who had earlier staged a peaceful protest before the local district office.

"This group from Paniai hid behind the demonstrators and attacked security personnel," Karnavian added.

Related news: Three killed in riot in Deiyai District

An attacker was also killed in the incident after he got shot with an arrow allegedly coming from his own group.

Karnavian noted that bows and arrows were not used by the military and police.

"The Indonesian military and police have never used arrows. The arrow came from his own group," he clarified.

Related news: Indonesians face challenge ahead to fight racis, separatism in Papua

The riot broke out when nearly a hundred people were staging a protest in front of the Deiyai District office. All of a sudden, a thousand other people appeared on the scene brandishing arrows, spears, and machetes and hurled stones at security personnel.

The mobs attacked a car, killing army man Second Sergeant Rikson with a machete and an arrow. They also seized 10 assault rifles SS 1 and some ammunition.

After grabbing the military rifles, they opened fire at security personnel controlling the protestors, and the subsequent exchange of fire was inevitable.

Five military and police personnel suffered injuries in the incident. All victims were promptly evacuated to Enarotali Hospital. EDITED BY INE

Related news: Police Chief confirms no troops yet withdrawn from Nduga

Related news: Security, public order in Papua under control: Gen. Tito Karnavian

Reporter: Anita Permata Dewi, Sri Haryat
Editor: Azizah Fitriyanti

7) Papua protests: capital Jayapura burns during night of violence
Reuters Fri 30 Aug 2019 12.27 AEST

Security forces watch as a building burns after hundreds of demonstrators marched near Papua’s biggest city Jayapura on Thursday night. Photograph: Indra Thamrin Hatta/AFP/Getty Images 

Indonesian president calls for calm after more than 1,000 protesters take to streets amid unrest over racial slurs and calls for independence Protesters in Indonesia’s easternmost region of Papua have set buildings ablaze in the provincial capital Jayapura, forcing the state power firm to cut off electricity in some districts, state media and an executive of the utility said.Police fired tear gas to disperse demonstrators who also set fire to cars and threw stones at shops and offices on Thursday, state news agency Antara said. Protesters also torched a local parliament office. “Several public facilities and properties were damaged by rioters,” national police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo said.

In the wake of Thursday’s unrest, Papuan independence leader Benny Wenda called for UN to act on the crisis, the result of related protests about racism, discrimination and calls for independence. “Indonesian security services may turn it into a bloodbath,” Wenda said, referring to the 1991 Santa Cruz massacre in which hundreds of mourners at a funeral were shot by Indonesian forces.
The region has been racked by civil unrestfor two weeks over reports of racial and ethnic discrimination. Some protesters are also demanding an independence vote – a move ruled out by the security minister on Thursday.

Indonesian president Joko Widodocalled for calm on Thursday evening, telling reporters he had ordered “firm action against anarchist and racist actions”. He promised to further develop Papua.
During the riot in Jayapura, the protesters torched a building housing the offices of state-controlled telecoms firm Telekomunikasi Indonesia. The company said in a statement it could not assess the full damage yet.
The utility company PLN has turned off power in areas around the torched building, said regional director Ahmad Rofik, and state energy firm Pertamina said it had shut several petrol stations in Jayapura because of the protest.

National military spokesman Major General Sisriadi said more than 1,000 people had taken part in the protest. 
Police spokesman Prasetyo told broadcaster Kompas TV: “The condition is gradually recovering.” News websiteKompas.comsaid demonstrators had begun to disperse.
Gunfire broke out a day earlier between protesters and police in the town of Deiyai, about 500km (310 miles) from Jayapura.

Police said one soldier and two civilians were killed in the incident, while a separatist group said six had been shot dead. The military dismissed that as a hoax.
Police have deployed 300 mobile brigade personnel to the towns of Deiyai, Paniai and Jayapura after Wednesday’s incident, media quoted police chief Tito Karnavian as saying.

A separatist movement has simmered for decades in Papua, while there have also been frequent complaints of rights abuses by Indonesian security forces.
The spark for the latest unrest was a racist slur against Papuan students, who were hit by tear gas in their dormitory and detained in the city of Surabaya on the main island of Java on 17 August, Indonesia’s Independence Day, for allegedly desecrating a national flag. They were later released without charge.
Papua and West Papua provinces, the resource-rich western part of the island of New Guinea, formed a Dutch colony that was incorporated into Indonesia after a widely criticised UN-backed referendum in 1969.
On Thursday, chief security minister Wiranto said the government would not entertain any demand for an independence vote, according “Demands for a referendum, I think, is out of place. Demands for referendum I think must not be mentioned. Why? Because the unity of the Republic of Indonesia is final,” Wiranto was quoted as saying.
The government has cut internet access in the region since last week to stop people sharing “provocative” messages that could trigger more violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment