Wednesday, June 29, 2016

1) Welcomes July 1: AMP Calls for National Action 45 of the Proclamation

1) Welcomes July 1: AMP Calls for National Action 45 of the Proclamation
2) Chronology of crackdown on recent peaceful rallies
A google translate. Be-aware google translate can be a bit erratic.
Original bahadas link at

1) Welcomes July 1: AMP Calls for National Action 45 of the Proclamation

YOGYAKARTA, - Papua Student Alliance (AMP) central committee has issued a general call to all the students and the people of Papua in any city in the Java-Bali to commemorate 45 years of the reading of the proclamation of independence of Papua.

In the past, July 1, 1971, the proclamation was read out in the village of Waris, near the border with Papua-New Guinea (PNG). The national action will be carried out in the form of a peaceful demonstration on Friday, July 1, 2016, coordinated by AMP each town committees.

Proclamation of July 1, 1971 has previously been prepared to read out on December 1, 1961, but considering that the proclamation should be read on the day of full independence Papuans, then postponed proclamation was read. Then on December 19, 1961, the President of Indonesia, Sukarno, read Trikora (Tri Komando Rakyat), and began to Indonesia's efforts to derail the formation of the country of Papua intensive. Papua liberation Mandala Command was formed.

Through the Act (the Act of) 1969, Papua became part of Indonesia. Papuans protesting the implementation of the 1969 Act does not uphold the values ​​of democracy and freedom and human rights are confronted with weapons, military operations, death.

"Under the shadow of terror and military operations conducted by the Indonesian military in Papua, on July 1, 1971, located in the village of Waris, Numbay-Papua, near the border with PNG, echoed 'the proclamation of independence of West Papua' by Brigjend Zeth Jafet Rumkorem, as President of West Papua, "AMP wrote in his appeal.

Various military operations launched by Indonesia continues to crush the pro-independence Papuans, it is clear AMP, continues to this day.

"The silencing of the democratic space more real by state authorities (TNI-Polri) by prohibiting their freedom of expression to the people of Papua in public as well as catching up with the persecution of pro-independence activists in Papua," said AMP.

Meanwhile, Papua Police Chief, Inspector General of Police. Paul Waterpauw already issued a statement that the July 1, 2016, the people of Papua should not be commemorated with the raising of the Morning Star flag.

"We will prosecute anyone affirm raising the Morning Star flag. But we give tolerance when July 1 was celebrated with the worship of gratitude, "said Waterpauw.

Announcers: Bastian Tebai

2) Chronology of crackdown on recent peaceful rallies

On the 5 April a number of activists were arrested including the chair of the KNPB Steven Itlay in Timika.  It was reported they were beaten and kicked during the arrests. The Timika branch of the KNPB were simply holding a prayer meeting (“Prayers for the Papuan People’s recovery”) with local people from the area and also in support of the United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP). The  Jakarta Globe on the 6 April reported that at least 12 activists from group the KNPB, were detained after a rally turned violent in Kampung Bhintuka-SP13 field in Mimika, Timika district, Papua on Tuesday (05/04). Mimika Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Yustanto said the protest was forcefully dispersed after rally coordinator Steven Itlay gave a speech about Papua independence. 

On the 13 April rallies were  held in a number of districts of West Papua. A RNZI report (14 April) said that the demonstrations in West Papua have been described as a sign of widespread support for integration with the wider Melanesian community. The peaceful demonstrations in the main cities of Indonesia's Papua region were attended by thousands of West Papuans under the banner of the United Liberation Movement for West Papua. The demonstrations, voiced support for the Liberation Movement and its bid to gain full membership in the Melanesian Spearhead Group, resulted in dozens of arrests. One of the key Papuan political groups in the Movement, the West Papua National Committee, or KNPB, was centrally involved in organising the demonstrations. The KNPB chairman Victor Yeimo addressed the demonstration in the Papuan provincial capital, Jayapura. 

On the 2 May 2016  up to 1800 people were arrested including KNPB members, student activists and pro independence supporters. The local media Tabloid Jubi reported (3 May) that activists were detained in Jayapura, Sentani, Merauke, Manokwari, Timika and Sorong. The rallies were called to show support for the bid by the United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP) for full membership of the Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG) and to support the International Parliamentarians for West Papua (IPWP) who were meeting at the Houses of Parliament in London to discuss the issue.  Although the majority of activists were eventually released, during the arrests in Jayapura a large number of activists were taken to the Mobile brigade (BRIMOB) headquarters and made to remove their shirts and put in a field in the extremely hot midday sun. Seven activists were also tortured.  Jubi reported (article 6 May) that the torture against the seven activists took place in a special detention room named Karel Satsuitubun in the police headquarters.

One activist told jubi that “The seven of us were treated inhumanly. They treated us like animals,” He said during the interrogation, officers stepped on the activists’ chests or backs, some repeatedly beat them on the head with riffle butts. “An officer came and hit me on my ear. For a minute I loss my consciousness. I regained consciousness when I felt something warm out of my ear. I grabbed it and it was blood,” he said. When other officers came, they kicked him on the chest and back. He said he felt the pain after he woke up the next morning. In an article Judi report that “KNPB Activists Claim Torture by Police”  at  

31 May Over a thousand demonstrators gathered in the Papua provincial capital Jayapura to express their support for the Liberation Movement and its bid for full membership in the Melanesian Spearhead Group500 people were arrested in the days leading up to and on the 31 May.  According to the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH Jakarta), more than 300 Papuans were arrested after the West Papua National Committee (KNPB) organized rallies on Tuesday the 31 May calling for the release political prisoners and to show support for the ULMWP to be granted full membership at the MSG. The activists were also calling on the leaders of the African, Caribbean, and Pacific Group of States (ACP) who were meeting in PNG for the 8th Summit of the ACP to support the right of the people of West Papua to self-determination. The intimidation of KNPB activists started on Saturday when 50 were arrested in Sentani and Jayapura. Although they were released the mobile phones of a number of activists were confiscated.  On Monday 30 May local media (Jubi) reported three members of KNPB in Yahukimo and 21 people in Wamena were arrested for distributing leaflets about the rallies to be held on the 31 May.
10 June. Local media ( )   reported the arrests of up to 31 KNPB activists in Jayapura on Friday the 10 June. Those arrested were simply handing out leaflets informing the public about an upcoming rally to be held on the 15 June.  LP3BH Protested the  Arrests of the  31 KNPB Activists. 

13 June  65 KNPB and student activists in Sentani and 4 in Nabire arrested on the 13 June. 

15 June.  A large number of rallies took place in West Papua with  over 700 security force personal  brought in to control the demonstrators. Over 1000 detained in Papua for protesting

27 June. KNPB news on Facebook reported that 13 activists were arrested in Wamena while raising funds to support the struggle

No comments:

Post a Comment