Monday, September 30, 2019

1) 3,225 refugees in Jayapura, confirms coordinating minister


2) Jokowi blames armed group for violence in Wamena

3) Police name six more suspects in Waena case

4) Transportation ministry prepares ships to evacuate Wamena's refugees
5) Rights body pushes for comprehensive probe into Wamena's riot
6) Jokowi urges Papuans to not believe hoax, slander
7) Papua, West Sumatera Leaders Meet Following Wamena Riot
--------------------------------------------


1) 3,225 refugees in Jayapura, confirms coordinating minister
 5 hours ago


Jakarta (ANTARA) - The number of refugees in Jayapura, Papua due to the deadly riots in Wamena, currently has reached 3,225, Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto said. "Now, the situation in Wamena is conducive, but the non-Papuan people are still traumatized," Wiranto said, during a press conference, at the Coordinating Ministry for Political, Legal and Security Affairs, Jakarta, Monday.

The feeling of trauma for non-Papuan migrants was one common to human beings after the deadly unrest that occurred in Wamena.

As a result, non-Papuan migrants have requested that they be evacuated to the Papua provincial capital of Jayapura, he said.

The migrants were driving the regional economy, both in Papua and West Papua, Wiranto explained.

"So, you can imagine, if they leave Wamena, who drives the economy in that area," he said.

Currently, the Ministry of Social Affairs has assisted refugees by providing adequate food and health care, through the Ministry of Health.

The most important thing is neutralizing the trauma with a guarantee of security and an understanding, Wiranto said.

"Because, they run various kinds of businesses in Wamena," he remarked.

Moreover, there has been a symbiosis of mutualism between Papuans and migrants who have opened a business for basic needs, Wiranto said.

"This is a system that has been running for decades. If the system is damaged, it will disturb the community in Wamena," he said.

Papuan community leaders and the local government asked non-Papuan migrants to reopen their businesses as usual to serve the needs of the people, he said. (INE)

Related news: Papua Governor offers security assurance to native, non-native people
Related news: Rights body pushes for comprehensive probe into Wamena's riot


EDITED BY INE
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has blamed a local armed group for the deadly riots in Wamena, Papua, last week, which killed at least 33 people, ordering authorities to hunt down those responsible for the unrest.
In a press conference on Monday, Jokowi said an armed criminal group (KKB) had come down from the mountains of Jayawijaya regency, torched people’s houses and instigated riots that sent thousands of residents fleeing the affected areas for fear of further violence.
He did not elaborate on the name of the group or who its leaders may be.
“I have ordered Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister [Wiranto], the Indonesian Military [TNI] and the police to chase after uncaptured rioters,” he said.
The President, who also extended his condolences to victims’ families, emphasized that security forces had been working hard to protect all citizens as he brushed aside concerns that the riots in Wamena stemmed from ethnic conflict.
Wamena saw violent unrest last Monday as a mob, reportedly native Papuans, set buildings on fire, destroying vehicles and attacking people with weapons.
The fatalities were mostly non-native Papuans, according to authorities.
Previous reports said that around 6,700 residents have turned shelters in Wamena, including at the TNI headquarters, while 2,670 others have fled the city with the help of the Air Force.
Another 10,000 people have signed up to be airlifted out, according to the commander of the Silas Parepare Air Base in Jayapura, Air Cdre. Tri Bowo Budi Santoso.
“[The evacuation] to Jayapura is set to continue because there are those who fear [for their lives], but we continue to call on the public to remain in Wamena because our security forces can secure [the city],” said Jokowi.
-----------------------

3) Police name six more suspects in Waena case

2 hours ago

Jayapura (ANTARA) - The Papua Provincial Police have named six more suspects in the case of torture against security personnel at Waena Expo Hall in the Papua provincial capital of Jayapura. The naming of the new suspects brought to 13 the number of people suspected of involvement in the incident leading to the death of an army soldier, Chief of the Public Relations Section of the Papua Provincial Police Senior Commissioner Ahmad Kamal said in Jayapura Monday night.

The six people identified by their initials as BT, BK, AM, PY, TW and AY, were named suspects in the incident after the police conducted intensive investigations into the whereabouts of 20 students, he said.

Last Tuesday (September 24), the police identified seven suspects by their initials, AA, AD, YK, JK, YK, EB and MK in the case which killed Chief Private Zulkifli of the Raider Infantry Battalion 751 and injured six personnel of the Police's Mobile Brigade (Brimob) unit.

The six Brimob personnel sustained injuries after the demonstrators hurled stones at them. The incident occurred while the demonstrators were being sent home aboard 15 trucks from Cendrawasih University campus.

However, shortly before arriving at Waena Bridge they asked the truck drivers to drop them off and then attacked on-duty security personnel.

The demonstrating students were being sent home as they attempted to camp in the campus and set up a command post there. (INE)

Related news: Jokowi urges Papuans to not believe hoax, slander

Related news: Papua Governor offers security assurance to native, non-native people


EDITED BY INE
Reporter: Evarukdijati/Suharto
Editor: Fardah Assegaf
——————————

4) Transportation ministry prepares ships to evacuate Wamena's refugees
5 hours ago

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Ministry of Transportation is preparing ships to evacuate refugees in Wamena and Jayapura, Head of the Communication and Public Information Bureau of the Ministry of Transportation Hengki Angkasawan remarked. As a result, refugees and victims of riots can be evacuated and returned to their hometowns, because Wamena's condition is not conducive.

"We will help the exodus of residents in Papua by preparing several types of ships. Namely KPLP, Navigation, Pioneer and Pelni ships scheduled in several ports of West Papua and Papua," Hengki Angkasawan said in a written statement in Jakarta, Monday.

The ships which have been prepared include KN KALAWAI P 117 located at Arang Gudang Port, Ambon and KN GANDIWA P 118 from Class II PLP Base, Bitung.

The ships can each accommodate 100 to 150 people. Besides, logistical supplies are also prepared on board.

In addition to the ships, the ministry of transportation has provided aircraft from Trigana, Deraya, My Indo, Semuwa Aviation Mandir, Jayawijaya Air Dirgantara, Wings Air, and two types of Hercules that can carry more than 500 people.

"From the data we have received, most refugees want to go to Sorong, Ambon, Ternate, Bitung, and Makassar," Hengki explained.

The provincial government of Papua earlier assured full security to all Indonesian residents in Papua, including those in Wamena, Jayawijaya District, following the recent riots.

In Jayapura, Monday, Papua Governor Lukas Enembe, expressed the local government’s readiness to begin reconstruction and repair of all government and public assets, including offices, shops, and kiosks, that had borne the brunt of the rioting.

"Evacuation of victims of the riots, both the dead and injured, is the urgent response necessitated right now," Enembe stated.

Also, the Papuan local government has offered food and other basic daily essentials for people seeking refuge at military district command offices, police offices, churches, and mosques. (INE)
Related news: 3,225 refugees in Jayapura, confirms coordinating minister
Related news: Transportation minister ascertains Wamena airport safe for aviation


EDITED BY INE
Reporter: Juwita Trisna/ Azis Kurmala
Editor: Suharto
————————————

5) Rights body pushes for comprehensive probe into Wamena's riot
 5 hours ago
Jakarta (ANTARA) - The National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) urged the government to extensively probe the violence during a protest in Wamena, Jayawijaya, Papua, resulting in 32 deaths and fueling non-native Papuans’ exodus from the region.

"Komnas HAM has affirmed its commitment to encouraging investigation into a tragedy, regardless of whatever it is. Investigation into the tragedy is important to offer clarity on who and what is the motive behind this," the commission's chief, Ahmad Taufan Damanik, remarked here on Monday.

The incident might recur if the government was unable to investigate the case and adopt legal measures, particularly at a time when Papuans have lost their mutual trust, Damanik noted.

The Commission has pushed the government and local figures to hold constructive dialog to placate the tension in Papua.

"We are ready to facilitate all parties to hold dialog to seek a peaceful solution in Papua," he remarked.

In the meantime, the Jayawijaya Police took into detention seven people for their alleged involvement in the riot in Wamena. The detainees had carried arrows, stones, and gasoline to set ablaze some public facilities during the riot.

Three of the detained people were named suspects in the incident, while four others were released.

Further investigation is yet underway to expose the mastermind behind the riot.

Wamena's deadly rioting broke out during a rally that native Papuan students had staged on September 23.

At least 32 people, including a medical doctor, were killed, while at least 77 others sustained injuries due to the riot that had also compelled several thousand residents, mostly non-native Papuans, to take refuge in local military and police compounds.

Most of the dead and wounded were non-native Papuans, who had been assaulted by rioters brandishing machetes and arrows. Several of them migrated to Papua from their hometowns in provinces, such as West Sumatra and South Sulawesi, to earn a living.
Related news: MUI deplores brutal killings of innocent civilians in Papua's Wamena
Related news: 24 paramedics deployed to Wamena hospital in the wake of deadly riot EDITED BY INE
Reporter: Dyah Dwi Astuti, Sri Haryati
Editor: Suharto
———————

6) Jokowi urges Papuans to not believe hoax, slander
7 hours ago

Bogor, West Java (ANTARA) - President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) has appealed to people in Papua to exercise self-restraint and not be swayed by hoax and slander.

"Everyone stay calm, exercise self-restraint, and avoid all forms of provocation and slander that we have observed on social media, so many issues being disseminated," the president stated during a press conference at the Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, on Monday.

He drew attention to the people, mostly non-native Papuans, who had fled Wamena for Jayapura.

The president, however, urged the people to not leave Wamena since security officers are presently on guard to offer public protection.

Related news: Papua Governor offers security assurance to native, non-native people
Related news: Traumatized doctors seek transfer from Wamena following mass murders
 
The head of state remarked that the tribal chief in Baliem Valley had also urged the people to not leave Wamena. Security officers also always protect all people, he added.

The president stated that armed criminal group members were behind the riot in Wamena.

"Do not shift it as though it were an ethnic conflict. It was not. They are armed criminal groups coming from mountains and setting ablaze the residents' houses," Jokowi emphasized.

The head of state admitted to having issued orders to Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto, National Police Chief General Tito Karnavian, and Commander of the Indonesian Defense Forces (TNI) Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto to arrest the perpetrators of the Wamena riot.

The president condoled the deaths of 33 people during the riots.

In the meantime, Papua Governor Lukas Enembe had earlier made assurance of the government, Indonesian Defense Forces (TNI), and Indonesian Police (Polri) ensuring safety of both native Papuans and non-natives in Papua Province.

On Sept 23, 2019, some 33 people, including a medical doctor, children, and women, were killed, while no less than 77 others got injured in the riot that had also compelled several thousand residents, mostly non-native Papuans, to take refuge in the local military and police compounds.

Most of the dead and wounded were non-native Papuans, who had been assaulted by rioters brandishing machetes and arrows. Several victims migrated to Papua from their hometowns in provinces, such as West Sumatra and South Sulawesi, to earn a living.

National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo revealed that the masterminds behind this deadly riot are allegedly members of the West Papua National Committee (KNPB) separatist group.

On December 2, last year, separatists had killed 31 construction workers, all non-native Papuans, in Nduga District, Papua Province, while they were building a bridge in Yigi Sub-district.

Related news: Wamena's deadly riot refugees tended to adequately at police compound
Related news: Deployment of two TNI aircraft to evacuate riot victims in Wamena

Reporter: Bayu Prasetyo, Fardah
Editor: Sri Haryati
————————

7) Papua, West Sumatera Leaders Meet Following Wamena Riot
Translator: 
 
Editor: 

Markus Wisnu Murti

TEMPO.COJakarta - Papua Governor Lukas Enembe has met with West Sumatera Deputy Governor Nasrul Abit who is visiting Wamena to learn the conditions of his residents in Papua. 
As reported earlier, foreign settlers from Sumatra have tragically fallen victim to the massive riots and killings that took place on the deadly Monday of September 23.
This situation has forced thousands to take refuge to other areas in the vicinity of Wamena, while others decided it was safer to return to their hometowns. 
Lukas Enembe voiced his concerns and regrets that such a tragedy had to take place. He asserted that the government, through the Armed Forces (TNI) and the Police, guaranteed the safety of both local settlers and non-Papuans in Wamena 

“We truly regret that riots broke out in Wamena and Papua in general, which were all sparked by the incidents in Surabaya and Malang,” said Lukas.
Out of the 981 Sumatrans living in Papua, a total of 672 people still remain in the riot-torn province while 300 have taken refuge. 
ANTARA
-----------

No comments:

Post a Comment