Thursday, September 19, 2019

1) Indonesian troops will remain in Papua: Defense Minister


2) Wiranto awaits report on exchange of fire in Papua
3) Veronica Koman to Be Included in Police's Fugitive List
4) TNI Says Three Killed in Shootout with Papua Separatists 

5) West Papuans rally calling Australia stands against human rights violations in West Papua
----------------------------------

1) Indonesian troops will remain in Papua: Defense Minister
4 hours ago

Magelang, C Java (ANTARA) - Defending the presence of Indonesia's military (TNI) and the police personnel in Papua, Defence Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu said they will not be withdrawn from the province because armed Papuan separatists continue firing at security forces. "I have repeatedly stated that the TNI and National Police will not be withdrawn from Papua because, once, they are pulled out, Papua will secede," he told journalists after speaking at a seminar on a state defense strategy for young Indonesians here Thursday.

Commenting on an exchange of fire that occurred in Olenki Village, Mabugi Subdistrict, Puncak District, on September 17 and killed three civilians, he said Papua's problems should be resolved properly, and they are merely related to social welfare.

"So, we need to sit together. Let us sit and think about how to resolve the problems," the former army chief of staff said.

In connection with the firing in Olenki village between Indonesian troops and brutal armed Papuan separatists, Puncak District Head Willem Wandik said Wednesday that the armed rebels often use villagers as human shields.

Three civilians were killed and four others sustained injuries in the firing. The wounded had been evacuated to Timika's public hospital while the dead would immediately be buried, he said.

To avoid civilian casualties in the future, he appealed to the TNI and police to carry out a persuasive approach which would compel the rebels to surrender and stop attacking security personnel and civilians.

Willem Wandik also urged all parties to maintain peace and end the conflict that could be used by others for their political ends.

Meanwhile, Spokesman of the XVII/Cenderawasih Regional Military Command Lt. Col. Eko Daryanto confirmed that there had been civilian casualties and expressed his condolences.

XVII/Cenderawasih Regional Military Commander Major General Herman Asaribab would coordinate with the Papua police chief in setting up a joint team to investigate the incident, he said.

Herman Asaribab would also conduct a comprehensive evaluation on how the operation to hunt down the armed rebels is to be carried out so that further civilian casualties are avoided, he said. (INE)
Related news: RI rebuts Vanuatu politicizing Papua issue at Human Rights Council
Related news: Rights activists in Papua urge govt to offer comprehensive solution


EDITED BY INE
Reporter: Syaiful H, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: Suharto
——————————————————

2) Wiranto awaits report on exchange of fire in Papua

3 hours ago

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs Wiranto said he was awaiting an official report on the recent exchange of fire between the Indonesian security personnel and a group of armed Papuan rebels which led to several casualties among civilians.

"Well, the official report is still awaited," he said here on Thursday in response to a question from journalists on the exchange of fire that broke out in Olenki Village, Mabugi Subdistrict, Puncak District, on September 17.

Wiranto said he would immediately brief the journalists once he received a comprehensive report on the incident.

In connection with the firing in Olenki village between Indonesian troops and brutal armed Papuan separatists, Puncak District Head, Willem Wandik, said on Wednesday that the armed rebels often use villagers as human shields.

Three civilians were killed and four others sustained injuries in the firing. The wounded had been evacuated to Timika's public hospital, while those who succumbed to their injuries would immediately be buried, he said.

To avoid civilian casualties in the future, he appealed to the TNI and the police to carry out a persuasive approach, which would compel the rebels to surrender and stop attacking security personnel and civilians.

Willem Wandik also urged all the parties to maintain peace and end the conflict that could be used by others for their political gains.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu hinted earlier that Indonesia's military (TNI) and the police personnel in Papua would not be withdrawn from the province because armed Papuan separatists continue firing at security forces.

"I have repeatedly stated that the TNI and the National Police will not be withdrawn from Papua because once they are pulled out, Papua will secede," he said in Magelang, Central Java.

Spokesman of the XVII/Cenderawasih Regional Military Command, Lt. Col. Eko Daryanto, confirmed that there had been civilian casualties and expressed his condolences.

XVII/Cenderawasih Regional Military Commander, Major General Herman Asaribab, will coordinate with the Papua police chief to set up a joint team to investigate the incident, he said.

Herman Asaribab would also conduct a comprehensive evaluation on how the operation to hunt down the armed rebels is to be carried out so that further civilian casualties are avoided, he said.
Related news: Indonesian troops will remain in Papua: Defense Minister  

EDITED BY INE
Reporter: Zuhdiar L, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: Suharto
———————————
3) Veronica Koman to Be Included in Police's Fugitive List
Translator: Laila Afifa   Editor: Laila Afifa 19 September 2019 19:18 WIB
TEMPO.COJakarta - East Java Regional Police will issue fugitive status for activist Veronica Komannext week.
"East Java Police Chief will announce [the matter] probably on Monday or Tuesday," said East Java Police chief of public relation Frans Barung Mangera on Thursday, September 19 September. Her name will be put in the fugitive list.
Veronica was named as a suspect for spreading hoaxes and fake information regarding the incident of Papuan students in Surabaya last August. She was allegedly active in conducting provocation by distributing information about Papua unrest through her Twitter account @VeronicaKoman.
Police issue the fugitive status due to Veronica's absence in three summonses. "The deadline is over," Barung said.

Besides the fugitive list, the National Police and Interpol would issue red notice about Veronica Koman that would be held in France. The red notice would be distributed to 190 other countries.
Andita Rahma
——————————————
4) TNI Says Three Killed in Shootout with Papua Separatists 
19 September 2019 17:51 WIB
TEMPO.COJakarta - Three civilians, including a toddler, have been killed and four wounded after a shootout between state security forces and armed separatists in Papua, a military (TNI) spokesman said on Thursday, September 19.
Tuesday's incident comes after additional security forces were deployed to restore security in Papua, following a series of sometimes violent demonstrations since August, triggered by concerns over perceived racial and ethnic discrimination.
The shootout happened when security forces clashed with separatists in the West Papuan town of Ilaga, said Eko Daryanto, the spokesman.
"The separatists started shooting sporadically at joint security forces who were approaching them in front of a honai (traditional Papuan house)," he said in a statement.
"After they (security forces) responded with shots, the separatists ran for the woods while shooting indiscriminately."
A resident of the area, Noris Wakerwa, said some villagers had fled to the nearby forest when he arrived to help with the evacuation.
"We evacuated the dead and the wounded to the community health center," he said by telephone.
Daryanto said TNI and police would conduct a joint investigation into the shootout.
Protesters torched a market, a jail, and government offices in demonstrations that erupted when Papuan students in Surabaya on the main island of Java were hit by tear gas in their dormitory and detained on Aug. 17, Indonesia’s Independence Day, for allegedly desecrating a national flag.
A video was later circulated showing security forces using racial slurs to denigrate the students.
Some protesters are also demanding an independence vote - a move ruled out by Indonesia's security minister.
Almost 6,000 additional military and police personnel have been dispatched to the region since the protests began and authorities for a time blocked internet access to prevent Papuans accessing social media.
The resource-rich area of Papua - which is home to the world's biggest gold mine and second-biggest copper mine Grasberg - was a Dutch colony that was incorporated into Indonesia after a controversial U.N. backed referendum in 1969.
Since then, the region has endured decades of mostly low-level separatist conflict.
REUTERS
—————————————

5) West Papuans rally calling Australia stands against human rights violations in West Papua

Published 10 hours ago on 19 September 2019
 By pr9c6tr3_juben

Melbourne, Jubi – Dozens of people stands in solidarity with West Papuans in front of the State Library Victoria on Saturday (14/09/2019) for calling the Australian Government to against human rights violations occurred in West Papua.
Further, the Melbourne West Papua Community is also asking the Australian Government to urges the Indonesian Government to allow the UN Right Commissioner Michele Bachelet to conduct a fact finding mission into human rights violations.

Mr. Novenus Obamak, the Chairman of the Melbourne West Papua Community, through a press release told Ms Bachelet has been trying to gain access to West Papua since 2018, but until now she has been refused to entry by the Government of Indonesia. “Contrary to claims made in Australia that the Indonesian Government is facilitating Ms Bachelet’s visit to West Papua, the Indonesian Government has been blocking her access,” said Obamak.
He also urged the Indonesian Government to restore the internet access in West Papua and allow international journalists free access to West Papua. “On behalf of the Melbourne West Papua community and our brothers and sisters in West Papua, I strongly urge Indonesia to withdraw its more than 6000 non-local military forces from West Papua to allow the situation there to stabilize,” said Mr. Obamak.

He also said, “We need to see the end of the criminalization of human rights defenders and students in West Papua. Human rights defenders and concerned students should be supported from their stand against lawlessness rather than being made out to be the criminals.”
Meanwhile, the solidarity rally was opened with speeches from speakers representing the Australian first nation, local councilors, West Papuan leaders and students. Speakers called the Australian Government to pay more attention to what have been happening and West Papua and to take action to end oppression and human rights violations against West Papuans.
Moreland Councillor Sue Bolton said in her speech that Australia could do a lot to stop the oppressions and violations in West Papua. “What Australia does will going have to impact to West Papua. Australia through different government has tragically supported the Indonesian Government to violate West Papuans through training Indonesian military forces, mining companies that contribute to the killing and torture of many West Papuans. Meanwhile, Darebin Councillor Mark Riley in his speech emphasized the needs of open access for journalists to West Papua.
In the meantime, Papuan student Cyndi Makabori said as young West Papuan student who’s living in Australia, she is fortunate for not experiencing discrimination, torture, detention or mockery like other Papuan students in Indonesia. She also criticizes that during 57 years of integration, Indonesia has committed more than five hundred thousand of murders. It means Indonesia has failed to civilize and educate its citizens about the value of humanity and human rights. Finally, in her speech she thanks to non-Papuan supporters who stand in solidarity with West Papuans. She acknowledges the spokesperson of Free West Papua Surya Anta Ginting who’s the first Indonesian citizen arrested for treason.
After speeches, the crowd goes for a rally towards Federation Square. During the rally, they continuously chanted “Papua Merdeka,” “Free West Papua”, “Kami bukan merah putih” and “Indonesia Out”.
A supporter from Vanuatu who wish anonymous said she joined the rally to show her solidarity to West Papuans. “In solidarity as Pacific region. We are Melanesians; and all together we are strong. We support sovereignty as an obligation to the international laws.”
The West Papua solidarity rally in Melbourne marked a series of peaceful protests conducted in dispersed cities in Australia including Canberra, Darwin, Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns. (*)
 Reporter: Pipit Maizier
----------------

No comments:

Post a Comment