1) Indonesia Awaits PNG to Deal with Hostage Situation
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Coordinating Minister of Politics, Law, and Defense, Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, said that the bilateral relationship between Indonesia and Papua New Guinea is great. "Therefore, we respect the measures that the Papua New Guinea administration is currently doing," said Luhut on Wednesday September 16.
Luhut said that he cannot reveal the hostage situation to media. However, he claimed that Indonesia awaits another hour or two for the PNG government to deal with the situation.
He added that the Indonesian government is set to do any means necessary to deal with the increasingly worrying situation, yet still maintaining coordination with PNG authority. As for the hostages, Luhut claimed that the two are in decent shape.
Previously, two workers of a lumber factory were kidnapped on Saturday by the Free Papua Organization, led by Jeffrey Pagawak. Prisoner barter notion was in the air, until Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi dismissed the possibility.
By : Banjir Ambarita | on 07:59 AM September 16, 2015
Jayapura. Security forces in Jayapura have launched a manhunt for an unknown assailant who stabbed to death a soldier outside the main military base in the Papuan capital in the early hours of Wednesday.
The incident occurred at around 1:25 a.m. as the soldier, identified as Master Pvt. Langgeng, was carrying out a routine patrol of the base’s perimeter.
A lone assailant is believed to have jumped him and stabbed him repeatedly with a knife, just 300 meters from the base’s main guard post, out of sight of the other soldiers gathered there.
The assailant fled into the dense residential area behind the base, according to Lt. Col. Teguh Pudji Raharjo, a spokesman for the base.
“We can confirm that there has been a stabbing against a member of the Jayapura military base that left the victim dead,” he told the Jakarta Globe. “There were a number of other soldiers on duty at the guard post, but because the incident took place some 300 meters away, the assailant was able to get away.”
Teguh said the military and police had launched a joint force to hunt down the perpetrator.
He refused to speculate on the identity of the perpetrator. Similar attacks on the armed forces in Papua have typically been blamed on separatists, who have been waging a low-level insurgency since the 1960s.
Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan has denied that the two Indonesians being held in Papua New Guinea (PNG) are spies.
“It is not true,” said Luhut when he was asked to clarify the rumors that the two Indonesians were spies.
A group in PNG is holding two loggers -- Sudirman (28) and Badar (20) -- after capturing them in Skouwtiau hamlet in the Kerom regency. Another victim, Kuba, was shot during the incident but was able to escape. He is currently being treated at the Bhayangkara Hospital in Jayapura.
Luhut said the Indonesian government was still coordinating with the PNG government to free the Indonesians. “From the Indonesian government's side, we are ready to carry out any steps to free the Indonesians,” he added.
The Free Papua Organization (OPM) is allegedly responsible for the kidnappings.
Previously, National Police chief Gen. Badrodin Haiti rejected the offer of trading the two Indonesians with two drugs detainees.
Luhut said that the two Indonesians were in good condition. (bbn)
Jayapura, Jubi – Indonesian Minister of Rural and Underdeveloped Region and Transmigration, Marwan Jafar, contradicted President Joko Widodo’s pledge to terminate the transmigration program in Papua.
Despite giving support to Jokowi’s statement, the minister said he would expand the program of transmigration in Papua. In an interview in Jakarta on last week, he said the current program is intended to move residents from densely populated areas to less-populated ones. Those people also would be provided with cash and land property if they “succeed” in Merauke.
“Merauke could be considered as the borderland area that was succeed in executing the transmigration program and development of farming area in the eastern Indonesia,” said the minister to reporters in Jakarta as cited by Jakarta Globe. He further said Merauke is the “heaven for trans-migrants”.
He predicted about 275 thousand people have moved to Merauke since the annexation over West Papua by Indonesia in 1969. Those migrants were often said to harm the indigenous people. They were accused ignoring the sense, habitude and tradition of the indigenous people, destroying the environment and taking the economic opportunity of indigenous people.
In the meeting with public figures in Jakarta on last week, Jokowi renounced that his government will terminate the transmigration program to Papua.
“The government will end the transmigration to Papua because it has caused social gaps,” through the statement conveyed by the President Spokesperson, Teten Masduki.
The president, Teten said, has asked the Papua Governor to terminate the transmigration program.
However, the Minister Marwan Jafar seems not paying attention to Jokowi’s statement. He said the transmigration program will accelerate the production as well to support the government’s plan to develop 1.2 million hectares of rice field in Merauke under the Merauke Integrated Rice Estate (MIRE) Project. “If the program is succeed, will bring more benefits for this district,” he said. (Victor Mambor/rom)